Question about Thicko's b5n2_type97 pack. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Thicko's b5n2_type97 pack.

The shapes of "Kiba" and "Chikara" are not directly connected with "Tora". This is just FYI.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kiba.jpg  

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by tarepy View Post
    The upper one is not Kanji character. It's one of Katakana, Japan's own phonetic symbol, and stands for "O". O-148 was A6M belonged to Omura Kokutai. Omura is the name of a city in Nagasaki prefecture. Maritime Self Defense Force uses Omura air base today. If you are interested in, please visit Nagasaki Airport (RJFU). You will find a 4000ft-runway of the base in east side of RJFU.

The lower is A6M from 261 Kokutai which perished in battle of Saipan. It seems that "Tora" was named after its Wing Commander Taketora Ueda, also KIA in Saipan. Taketora means "furious tiger". Please refer to page 209-211 of "Japanese Naval Fighter Aces: 1932-45". It's available on Google Books free of charge.

https://books.google.co.jp/books?id=NOy3DAAAQBAJ
    Tarepy,

Thanks very much for the interesting information! WRT the "O", I had come across "O" as a possibility but couldn't understand why it would be called O-148. It just seemed like there should be something more to it. Thank you for explaining it.

I am in the process of creating individual plane folders for the many skins available for Akemi's A6M2b's. In this one particula skin pack there wasn't much description, none in fact, of what the particular details were of any of the AC represented by the skins.

The "O-148" was described simply as "zero 148" and the "Tiger-110" just that and nothing more.

WRT the Tiger-110" I kept googling around on it until I finally found a couple of web pages posted by guys who had built model kits of this aircraft- one a Tamiya kit and the other a ProBuilt kit.

In the Tamiya write-up, the guy described the plane as follws: "my A6M2 wears the colours of the "Tiger 110" ("Tiger"- "Tora" in Japanese - this is the meaning of the Kanji Character on its tail), the mount of the 261st Kokutai Commanding Officer".

In the ProBuilt write up the guy describes it as follows : "The model represents A6M2b "Tora-110" of Tora Butai (Tiger Squadron) flown by combat group leader Lt.Masanobu Ibusuki of 261st Kokutai, based in Saipan between June 1943 and July 1944".

So with those I was able to get that info, although it doesn't exactly jibe with yours, and incorporate it into my aircraft.cfg file and AC folder name.

But I was having no luck at all googling the "zero 148". None at all until you kindly posted the info for me. Again, thans very much.

And thanks very much for the book recommendation! I was able to skim through about 95 pages of it before Googlebooks cut me off- guess they want me to join or something. However, I like it so much that I will very likely get a hard copy from Amazon along with the the Army Aces companion book.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon22

The shapes of "Kiba" and "Chikara" are not directly connected with "Tora". This is just FYI.
    Thanks tarepy.

Right, gotcha.

Actually, I wasn't thinking those "power" and "fang" symbols were connected to the Tora kanji. But I was thinking that they might be connected to this first tail markings image I posted

because they came as close to matching it as anything I had seen while browsing through kanji symbol charts.

I was thinking that the tail marking had to represent another idea, another war-like virtue or image as it were. It never occurred to me that it just just stood for the letter "o", lol!

Thanks again for all the help, tarepy. I'll know who to pester if I run into any more issues like this!

BTW, I don't believe I have ever before exchanged posts with you. Its been a pleasure.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hi MR!

"Tora Butai" was the nickname of 261 Kokutai. The painting of Tora-110 is mysterious. She was destroyed in a hangar on the first day of battle of Saipan. Attached photo was taken by an U.S. photographer. Two-tone painting is very unusual in IJN/IJA. An illustrator is suggesting two patterns of coloring. It might be a target tug (the above) or a machine scratched from two damaged planes (the bottom).

A6M "O-148" was belonged to Omura Kokutai. O for Omura.

The attached tail markings are “Yo-137” and “Ota-100”. They were painted under same naming rule. “Yo-137” was Yokosuka Kokutai and “Ota-100” was Oita Kokutai. The first letter of Yo-137 is not "three". It's "Yo", one of Japanese Katakana characters.

Hi Tarepy,

For some reason none of your attachments are showing for me. All I get are little broken-image icons.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22 Question about Akemi's Zeros

Got a question about Akemi's Zeros.

What is the difference- from a design and functionality standpoint between the two Zeros he calls A6M2b and A6M2b-t?

I am thinking there is no difference and that the b and b-t are purely descriptive notations. Yes? No?

Thanks,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Uploaded three images again.

tarepy

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a191bdeb37a4bc5a142bf01a48c90469.jpg   10990250_800.jpg   sample.jpg  

Hi MR!

"Tora Butai" was the nickname of 261 Kokutai. The painting of Tora-110 is mysterious. She was destroyed in a hangar on the first day of battle of Saipan. Attached photo was taken by an U.S. photographer. Two-tone painting is very unusual in IJN/IJA. An illustrator is suggesting two patterns of coloring. It might be a target tug (the above) or a machine scratched from two damaged planes (the bottom).
    Thanks for re-uploading these images tarepy. They are very interesting.

I can get behind either one of the two suggested colour patterns. The first would certainly increase the visibility of the "tug". And the second, that it was cobbled together from two damaged AC seems equally likely. They were built from two pieces weren't they. Two pieces that would have split up just about where the fore and aft colours abut one another? Very cool.

A6M "O-148" was belonged to Omura Kokutai. O for Omura.

The attached tail markings are “Yo-137” and “Ota-100”. They were painted under same naming rule. “Yo-137” was Yokosuka Kokutai and “Ota-100” was Oita Kokutai. The first letter of Yo-137 is not "three". It's "Yo", one of Japanese Katakana characters.
    I definitely recognize the good old tiger/tora character.

Thanks for the explanation of the the different characters, I have been trying to get a handle on them. I found this little chart that helps me out quite a bit:

Cheers and thanks very much for taking the time to clarify these things for me. It is much appreciated.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

BTW, just to clarify for me. The Tora character is a Kanji character and the chart I posted is a chart of "katakana" characters. Is that right?

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Yes, the chart is displaying Katakana characters. They are simple straight shaped symbols and used to write foreign words or onomatopoeia in modern Japan.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails zzz.png  

Icon22

Thanks tarepy'

Very neat. I found this slightly expanded version that covers things pretty nicely:

Cheers,
    マースク・ライダー
    (Does that compute?)
    Last edited by MaskRider; August 29th, 2019 at 06:00.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Hi, MR

Wow, you are understanding Katakana already Both "mask" and "rider" are commonly used in Japanese as imported words from English. We write マスク・ライダー in Katakana though actual pronunciation is マースク.

Icon26

Hi, MR

Wow, you are understanding Katakana already Both "mask" and "rider" are commonly used in Japanese as imported words from English. We write マスク・ライダー in Katakana though actual pronunciation is マースク.
    Hiya tarepy,

Well, I must confess: I cheated. シー・ヒア

Cheers,
    クリス

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Members who have read this thread: 0