Question about Thicko's b5n2_type97 pack.

Thread: Question about Thicko's b5n2_type97 pack.

Hybrid View

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22 Question about Thicko's b5n2_type97 pack.

Does anyone know what the default skin in Thicko's b5n2_type97 pack represents- what carrier, Kokutai, year, location?

The pack includes 4 extra skins all of which include a readme that gives this information but there is nothing in the aircraft.cfg file or the readme for the package that identifies the default skin.

And it doesn't match one of the extra skins.

This is what it looks like:

In Thicko's b5n1_type97 pack one of the 4 extra skins is the same as the default skin, so its identity not an issue.

Its no biggie. Just a stone I want to shake out of my shoe.

Thanks for any help!
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Good question, MR.

The plane was on Akagi

Akagi Kanjo Kogekikitai
    (Akagi Carrier Level-Bomber Unit)

AI-301
    Sou-Shikikan/Sou-Taicho Cdr Mitsuo Fuchida
    Lt. Mitsuo Matsuzaki (pilot)
    Norinobu Mizuki (observer)
    Overall Leader 1st Wave PH Attack, 800kg AP bomb

Most of the AKAGI KATEs are shown in complete green upper, while by the end of 1940, they all still wore the bright factory paint.
    And I still can`t believe, that especially the Commanders aircraft was painted in a rush or with purpose of a washy camouflage idea, while all others were painted completey green?

A few more of my stored notes regarding the unusual paint:

In the mid-1970s, Don Bratt interviewed Fuchida for more details to discover that AI-301 was kept 'gleaming'
    during training to let his men know of his location in the air, yet en route to Hawaii AI-301 was camouflaged for the coming attack.
    The commanding info on the vertical surfaces was retained to keep his aviators informed of his presence.
    The plane was painted, IF WE BELIEVE FUCHIDA: 'en route to Hawaii' with SEMI-GLOSS green upper surface camouflage.
    The TRAINING numbers on the wing's undersurface conform to PRE-war use were black and the undersurface is painted with the same GLOSS Gray-GREEN viewed on Akagi VALs.....and the painting of the plane was accomplished NOT 'enroute', but where the landing base paint shops sprayed the plane...with gray-GREEN, then the dark green upper surface.
    Visit my CFS2-dedicated sites: CFS2 : Tips&Tricks + Downloads + A/C-Profiles + Links

Icon22

Thanks Jaxon! Fascinating stuff.

One of the extra skins included in the pack is named the Fuchida skin and is called out in the readme as the livery Lt Cdr Fuchida, IJNS Akagi during the Pearl Harbor attack.

It looks like this:

From the tail markings I kinda suspected that the cammo skin above were Akagi and unit commander markings for Fuchida. But I couldn't place the when of it because when looking it up on line all I was able to come up with for the pearl harbor attack were the solid green liveries. I think I will just identify this one as a Fuchida No2. Sound like a plan?

Thanks again for the info. That is so cool that Fuchida was still around and gracious enough to being interviewed by Don Bratt.

Cheer,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Yes, two interpretations of the same A/C.

I personally think, a good skin should reflect the green as field modification.
    If they had just one can of green for the entire Kates, or enough paint (and time) to paint them all more thoroughly is beyond me.

But I have seen a number of profiles and models, that were painted either complete green or more in a a dazzle scheme, or at least with the original colour coming through especially at the corners, like this one.

In 1942 the VALs were also toned down in green.
    And I think this skin is a good interpretation of how that would have looked like - and also a perfect example of my idea of AKAGIs PH KATEs:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nakajima B5N2 KATE (CFS2)_400x175.jpg   Aichi D3A1 VAL (Akemi Mizoguchi)_S.jpg  
    Visit my CFS2-dedicated sites: CFS2 : Tips&Tricks + Downloads + A/C-Profiles + Links

Thanks, Jaxon.

Love the Val.

Is that a repaint of the stock or Akemi's or what?

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; August 18th, 2019 at 16:22.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Love the Val.

Is that a repaint of the stock or Akemi's or what?

MR
    MR, I seem to remember that Talos2005 did a series of green repaints for the Val some years ago. I can't remember whether they were for the stock Val or Akemi's model.

Hi, everyone,

IJN filmed Fuchida’s AI-301 on April 5, 1942 (Akagi, Battle of Ceylon). It was the same air frame flew over Pearl Harbor. Heavy duty for four months changed its green painting into camouflage-like dazzle painting.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails FuchidaB5N.jpg  

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by tarepy View Post
    Hi, everyone,

IJN filmed Fuchida’s AI-301 on April 5, 1942 (Akagi, Battle of Ceylon). It was the same air frame flew over Pearl Harbor. Heavy duty for four months changed its green painting into camouflage-like dazzle painting.
    Hiya tarepy,

Thanks for that very interesting little nugget. The skin I was going to name Fuchida2 I will now call Fuchida Ceylon APR42

It matches up very nicely with the unidentified default skin included in Thickos pack

Here is the Fuchida Pearl Harbor skin

Cheers and thanks again!
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Top information, tarepy: Mistery solved!

And a nice idea to use the skin in 1942!

Members who have read this thread: 0