It's Lobster Time

Thread: It's Lobster Time

It's Lobster Time

So, having survived the wilds of New Zealand, the mongrels of Flight 19 begged for some R&R. Thus, here we are in Baddeck, Nova Scotia - home of the Alexander Graham Bell Historical Site and very near the location of the first powered flight in the British Commonwealth (Feb 23, 1909).

On the agenda, some Digby scallops, Atlantic salmon, fresh fiddleheads and all the lobster we can find as we troll the Maritime Provinces and the NE USA. Open air flying in late summer - what could be better?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19 Baddeck1 .jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Rob and I pulled into Trenton. Nice start!

On to PEI. Spotted a wind farm enroute.

Howdy!

Well, I finally got going in the Avro 621 Tudor, Sure had our problems getting her ready for the new adventure. Hehe, last we, Dudley and I, and Dudley is in the front cockpit, with me driving, and I mean driving it was had flying all the way to Chipman, New Brunswick, Canada. It has been a long time since I flew just hand flying. Sure glad to see the runway, but, boy did I make a crazy landing. Hehe we walked away so it was a good landing so some say! Towards the end of the this flight got the plane washed, it started to rain, and being drafty in an open cockpit, but, being wet and drafty it was darn uncomfortable! Our next flight we go into the good old USA! Maine me think. So we will let you know.

CCS4 to KHUL, hehe by goodness that is Maine.

...concerning the Avro 621 series biplanes and rain.....it shares a similar feature with the (much later) MGA roadster.

...At sixty mph and up....the rain will go right over the head, and pilot & passenger remain dry.

Simply avoid stoplights in the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post
    ...concerning the Avro 621 series biplanes and rain.....it shares a similar feature with the (much later) MGA roadster.

...At sixty mph and up....the rain will go right over the head, and pilot & passenger remain dry.

And Jeeps. As long as you keep moving, you're good. Once you stop......
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Yep, right on, but going real slow for landing the whole thing changes.

Quote Originally Posted by magoo View Post

That's awful close to Vne ( for the MG)

“Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

Run don't walk to the US. Hehe Howdy folks. just kidding, We had some very nice flight thru Eastern Canada and saw bunches of trees for all of the flight. We left Chipman and headed to Houlton, Maine. Before take off Srgalahad mention to me to fly higher than he, needed to finish a contract he had with the local Lumber Company in spraying part of their timber holding in order to save the trees from the Blister beetles. The old 621T flew just great on this flight, there for awhile me had me doubts. alas, she is flying just great! Of course, as hand flying came back to me that helped a whole bit. Srgalahad had requested from the Canadian air force, I guess, the use of a 621T in the colors of RCAF. Kind of waiting for Moses to catch up evidently, he had some problem with his plane. So Kevin, kick the tires and lite the fire! lol

Oops forgot, darn getting old sure screw a person up, Ok, the second picture is of Rob spraying the trees.

Hey There, HAPPY DAYS are here again,(I hope)

Ever since we started this Maine Adventure Dudley and I have been playing catch up. It seem that the 621T have a little more wear and tear than we anticipated, we are sure hopping that we got it right now. We, with the flight 19, took off from Eastport and headed to Belfast. For some reason we couldn't get the engine up to power we kept her in the air at around 50 MPH and the throttle open wide open, but no power increase, so we diverted back to the Eastport Airport and got it down very carefully, but we made. Now Dudley and I started a check of the engine and after a number of hours we found that the rod had came lose. Did a test run up and I guess we fixed the problem, because it ran up and down via the cockpit throttle. Now sure hope we can keep up with the flight.

Howdy all!

As you more than likely noticed Flight 19 was grounded last night. Lobster feast at one of the City Counsel folks home. Whoa! you couldn't believe the spread these folks put forward lobsters up the you know what, and all of the trimming's. You guess it, plenty of the local brew! Must say it was the best meal we all had in a while. But back to bidness, planes already to go on with our adventure! So are we!

Good day all!

Lol! Finally completed a flight with Flight 19 from Belfast to Rutland. Lots of headwinds, felt like I was doing one step forward and with the wind blowing I was pushed back one or maybe two steps. All in all it was a fairly nice flight for Dudley and myself. Looking forward for the flight from Rutland to Berlin, gosh, we won't have enough fuel and coffee. " Hey Taco, you dipstick this ain't Berlin, Germany!" Wow! now I feel somewhat better, but I was king of looking forward to some German beer! hehe, see you all later.

Hey Folks, we are still here and kicking!

Were trying to get together, baring R/L issue, Hope to fly tonight. I have changed planes, and I thought I would get something a little later than the Arvo 621, besides, the cockpit is covered and there is an heater, hehe, but no A/C. The picture shows the plane getting ready to take some local folks on a short sight seeing flight. hehe need to pay the fuel bill some way, and believe it or not Dudley and I do need to eat at some point. Hopefully, to see you all tonight.

Into Caribou, ME.

Rob pounded his Mite so hard into the asphalt, he left a giant trail of rubber smoke in his wake.

(He swears he had a light touchdown).

Rural Maine, before the sun started to slip away.

Spotted a flying Eagle on the way to Plum Island. Very cool!

Against our better judgement about getting low over open water in a single-engine plane, it was worth a closer look
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19 Lobster Eagle.jpg  

Well, that was fun

Moses and I set out from Danielson CT (5B3) to KCNH, Claremont NH. I had some patchy fog after takeoff but it cleared soon after. Then, as we got closer to KCNH the various ASOS reports got worse - KOEE 100 &1/2, KEEN 200 & 1.5 . Over Bellows Falls I thought I might find and follow I-91 to Claremont but at 900 agl I couldn't see the ground, much less a road.

Decided to shift over to KVSF, shoot the ILS and sneak across the highway to KCNH. Good plan, not such good luck. The ILS went well and I stayed down at 300 agl on the missed approach - or 100 above most of the trees and nicely into the fog. Winding around hills and trees at just above the stall I finally saw the runway (and the lovely high-tension power line tower right on final!) A wiggle and cut the throttle... viz in the pic was a momentary reprieve. Parked and paused to wipe off the sweat... One more in the logbook!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19 Lobster KCNH 1.jpg   19 Lobster KCNH 2.jpg   19 Lobster KCNH 3.jpg   19 Lobster KCNH 4.jpg  

Howdy you all!

Well, after some major problems with this here computer I finally caught up with Flight 19 Kline Kill, Ghent just in time to tale off for Goodspeed, East haddan. Both of these city are in Connecticut. Today we are headed into the last noted flight for this junket "It's Lobster Time." OK, now we are headed to Tererboro, NJ, for a little R&R me think.

Hey there!

Flight 19, all parties, landed AOK even as we tried and did do a lot dodging large private and commercial planes trying to line up in order to land. ATC, me think, was really upset, maybe better thought would be madder the heck!, because of the runway we choose to land on, but that give them a good Idea to go after work and have a few brews. Hehe!

So folks, our flight of the "It's Lobster Time" has been competed. As I have noted landing at Teterboro, NJ. was a little exciting! Now it is our turn to seek out a nice little restaurant for a nice dinner and maybe a couple of brew also. But alas, our travel agent has come up with another flight for us. Who knows what kind of trouble he got us into this time. Please stay tuned to the famous Flight 19 misadventure!

Picture, Me and the Waco heading to Teterboro. Hehe, do I look worried, hehe

I guess all the rumors were right on! Getting ready to head to Texas to what ends I have no idea, might be a big surprise knowing our travel agent. So you all join us for another Flight 19 adventure!

Members who have read this thread: 0