Hendon Avro

Thread: Hendon Avro

Hendon Avro

Here in 1934 (top) and 1931 (lower) variations are my representation of what the Avro Tutor might have looked like while in service with
    600 (City of London) Sqn, RAuxAF , at RAF Hendon. We know that 600 was the only one (as far as I can ascertain) of the Hendon based RAuxAF squadrons to have Tutors' (alongside its' Westland Wapiti's) on strength.

The lower paint (1931) is per convention of the time; the yellow painted spinner and wheel hubs indicating to which 'flight' within the squadron the aeroplane was allocated; the squadron 'Dustcart' crest rides on the fin, and the squadron numberplate ,600, is displayed on the fuselage sides.

The upper paint (1934) is my take on what 'might have been' ; 600 were redesignated as a Fighter squadron in June of 1934; but continued to operate the Wapiti and Tutor until both types were fully replaced by Hawker Harts & Demons by April 1937. Only Fighter squadrons were allowed the decorative colours (bars) each side of the fuselage roundels, and 600, as Senior unit, would have been keen to get "one up" on their more unruly neighbours at RAF Hendon, namely 601 (County of London) Sqn RAuxAF (aka the millionaires club) who did not get designated as a fighter squadron until July of 1934, and did not get their complement of Hawker Demon's until August 1937.....

So...its' not 'all-over Yellow' as I found out that 'Trainer Yellow' was only introduced in 1936 ; before 1936 aircraft deliveries 'silver' was the norm; it has 600's bars displayed on fuselage; the 'Dustcart' crest is on forward fuselage ; while the yellow painted fin and wheel hubs
    indicate the 'flight'.

Votes for an upload?

ttfn

Pete

Blog Entries
    Very nice, Pete. Will you be uploading these?

Another nice one Pete

Thanks,
    Huub

Excellent representatives of the Golden Age of British aviation. Looking forward to these two.

Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    Excellent representatives of the Golden Age of British aviation. Looking forward to these two.
    Make that 3, I'm just wrapping up K3309 of 605 Sqn, RAuxAF @ 1938 (a yellow one), will put them all in one upload

Ttfn

Pete

K3309 of 605 Sqn, RAuxAF @ 1938, one of 5 on strength of 605 Sqn, the others being K3311, K3457, K3458, & K3459.

This particular Avro was written off in a crash on Dec 12th 1939, while being flown from Tangmere having been borrowed for a joyride by two members of 92 Sqn, also based at Tangmere at that time. Link to accident report ----> https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/210139

More about 605 Sqn http://www.605squadron.co.uk/about_us.html

as they say 'in the library soon'

Ttfn

Pete

As usual, many thanks Pete. Question: any more civil versions in the pipeline?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by djs1 View Post
    As usual, many thanks Pete. Question: any more civil versions in the pipeline?
    David
    Working on G-AFZW at present, another scheme from your neighbourhood... Greatham, Hartlepool @ 1939... as an Elementary and Reserve Flying Training School aeroplane, with civilian marks on military colours, as befits the time.

Then Avro demonstrator, G-ABRK, which was a 621/626 conversion or G-AHVO, which survived WW2, only to fade away at Hastings (Pebsham) airfield in 1950

Ttfn

Pete
    Last edited by Motormouse; August 16th, 2019 at 10:53.

No, I have other sources that are more accurate

Nigel made an outstanding model; and his paintkit makes it reasonably straightforward to knock out different schemes.

There's more to come when the 626 version breaks cover...

ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 1