PAWG_Wrangell Ready to go
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PAWG_Wrangell Ready to go

PAWG_Wrangell Ready to go

Finished as far as I can go without much reference material. All hangars are based on best reference for dimensions and appearance and guesswork.

PAWG-2019-aug-12-003 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

PAWG-2019-aug-12-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

I'll try to get it uploaded sometime today.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Looks great Ed!
    Roman

I want that Alaska Airline terminal building LLOL LLOL

Great scenery!

Regards,

Aharon

Nice work Ed. It looks fantastic.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Thank you very much sir. Looks great and I can't wait to install this scenery...

Very appreciative of your efforts.

wranggell pawg

Ed. Outstanding work. Thank you. For your hard.

Looking very beautifull, can't wait to lay my hands on it

Very nice, as always Ed!👍

Looking for this beautiful scenery, but don't see it in the library.

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    Looking for this beautiful scenery, but don't see it in the library.
    Not yet, sorry. Making some adjustments to the FSX version so it's works in P3D. Also recompiling the winter seasonal texture to match the "Hard Winter" time frame. There are two winter seasons: early winter (my name for it) that just shows bare trees and brown ground coloration. . .Hard Winter, which isn't actually recognized as a "Season" but it displays the winter ground cover and unfortunately, depending on where you live it would be different, but for Wrangell it appears to cover December, January and February.

Once that's all complete and I'm happy with it, I'll release it. . .now probably not til this weekend. I was also hoping for some input or comment from "stearmandriver" since he flies in and out of Wrangell and knows the airport quite well. . .any critique by him would be invaluable.

Current System Specs:

Excellent, and worth waiting for. Thanks.

Sorry, just getting caught up now.

In general, looks really good! The only critique I could make is that it still feels kinda busy. I understand that adds interest from a scenery design and user standpoint, but if you're looking for a comparison to reality, the Wrangell airport is really sleepy. I know you're picturing that it can't be that empty considering it gets airline service, but things are different up there. There are no roads to Wrangell island, remember: every vehicle there had to be shipped in. And there's not really many places to go on that island, so there aren't many cars. There's not much in the way of ground equipment either, in terms of tugs etc. Maybe one baggage cart, and 2 fuel trucks, one 100LL and one jet fuel (we usually carry through fuel, but can fuel there if necessary.) There would definitely be less cars in the parking lot, maybe half those or less.

Specifically, the catering truck is out of place. I guarentee no one has ever shipped a catering truck to Wrangell island . We never cater there anyway. Wrangell is served in a point-to-point flight sequence called the milk run: either Ketchikan-Wrangell-Petersburg-Juneau, or the reverse. Segments average about 20 minutes flight time . So, no catering. Plus, we park in that white box facing NW, parallel to ther runway, so the catering truck is in the way. Maybe replace it with a set of stairs? Those would be sitting there waiting for the jet.

The only other thing I could think of would be a smaller scissor lift, like a mini catering truck, to enplane/deplane folks who can't handle stairs.

So those are just nit-picks for folks interested in the small details. Really, overall, you've done a great job. The landclass and vegetation state looks great, buildings look great. It's just a weird place if you aren't used to southeast Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by stearmandriver View Post

In general, looks really good! The only critique I could make is that it still feels kinda busy. I understand that adds interest from a scenery design and user standpoint, but if you're looking for a comparison to reality, the Wrangell airport is really sleepy. I know you're picturing that it can't be that empty considering it gets airline service, but things are different up there. There are no roads to Wrangell island, remember: every vehicle there had to be shipped in. And there's not really many places to go on that island, so there aren't many cars. There's not much in the way of ground equipment either, in terms of tugs etc. Maybe one baggage cart, and 2 fuel trucks, one 100LL and one jet fuel (we usually carry through fuel, but can fuel there if necessary.) There would definitely be less cars in the parking lot, maybe half those or less.

Specifically, the catering truck is out of place. I guarentee no one has ever shipped a catering truck to Wrangell island . We never cater there anyway. Wrangell is served in a point-to-point flight sequence called the milk run: either Ketchikan-Wrangell-Petersburg-Juneau, or the reverse. Segments average about 20 minutes flight time . So, no catering. Plus, we park in that white box facing NW, parallel to ther runway, so the catering truck is in the way. Maybe replace it with a set of stairs? Those would be sitting there waiting for the jet.

The only other thing I could think of would be a smaller scissor lift, like a mini catering truck, to enplane/deplane folks who can't handle stairs.

So those are just nit-picks for folks interested in the small details. Really, overall, you've done a great job. The landclass and vegetation state looks great, buildings look great. It's just a weird place if you aren't used to southeast Alaska!
    Great info, thanks. I'll go back in and start pruning a bit, lol

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Great info, thanks. I'll go back in and start pruning a bit, lol
    You know, I just glanced at Google Earth to make sure I was picturing things correctly, and I don't know... vehicle-wise, your rendition looks pretty close. I just know that Wrangell always has this sleepy, half-deserted feel to me, but maybe that has to do with the desolate and wild surroundings. Your screen shots just give me more of a "bustling" feel that the real place doesn't seem to have, but we're getting subjective now. Maybe it's more that there are too many "action" scenes taking place at once, people prepping aircraft etc.

I know the catering truck is out of place, but other than that, it's hard to put my finger on specifics when comparing it to Earth. If you wanted to send me what you've got I'd enjoy looking it over; maybe in "simulated real life" it has a different feel than the few screenshots I've seen give me. Or, maybe it's not worth that much work for one little airport at you're ready to be done with it. That I understand too

You know, I just glanced at Google Earth to make sure I was picturing things correctly, and I don't know... vehicle-wise, your rendition looks pretty close. I just know that Wrangell always has this sleepy, half-deserted feel to me, but maybe that has to do with the desolate and wild surroundings. Your screen shots just give me more of a "bustling" feel that the real place doesn't seem to have, but we're getting subjective now. Maybe it's more that there are too many "action" scenes taking place at once, people prepping aircraft etc.

I know the catering truck is out of place, but other than that, it's hard to put my finger on specifics when comparing it to Earth. If you wanted to send me what you've got I'd enjoy looking it over; maybe in "simulated real life" it has a different feel than the few screenshots I've seen give me. Or, maybe it's not worth that much work for one little airport at you're ready to be done with it. That I understand too
    I rarely have the opportunity to have someone test out a scenery I've done that has first hand knowledge of the airport, let alone someone who flies into the airport on a fairly regular basis. Do you use FSX or P3D?

Current System Specs:

FSX here, I've been slacking on upgrading...

FSX here, I've been slacking on upgrading...
    Ok, I'll send you a PM with a download link.

Current System Specs:

That's the kind of info scenery makers need more often. This scenery looks very nice as is but making it more realistic, even if that means simplifying it, is a step in the right direction. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Ok, I'll send you a PM with a download link.
    Got it, I'll give it a go tonight. Looking forward to it!

All right, messed around with this scenery tonight. Looks really nice! The "busy-ness" strikes me as accurate now, and I really like the look of the gravel pad that the runway sits on. The buildings and radar dome are really well done too!

The only real nit-pick I could find is that it seems incompatible with the Tongass Fjords scenery area that Wrangell sits within. Your airport is a much better rendition than the Tongass Fjords version, and I wouldn't even mention this except, well, I think it's likely that most folks who will be likely to use Wrangell airport scenery are flying within the Tongass Fjords scenery. It just brings Southeast Alaska to life. I did a quick run from Petersburg to Wrangell and grabbed some screenshots to show what I mean; this wouldn't have felt very realistic with the default scenery:

Breaking out on the RNAV RNP M 10:
    https://images2.imgbox.com/64/2a/YtCKBhhl_o.jpg

Short final with the Tongass Fjords scenery and airport:
    https://images2.imgbox.com/61/3f/uNji5ueB_o.jpg

Short final with the Tongass Fjords scenery and YOUR airport both enabled:
    https://images2.imgbox.com/90/e9/4ztKy98w_o.jpg

You can see that with your airport, the low hill off the right wing is gone. That hill is there in real life, and the proximity to terrain (on both approaches) is one of the things that makes Wrangell interesting. Be a shame to lose it.

The real incompatibility problem comes with the buildings though; for some reason I get both the TF airport buildings and your buildings, even though your scenery is above all the TF entries in priority:
    https://images2.imgbox.com/fd/65/EgJ0zwzi_o.jpg

If you REALLY want to be a stickler for detail, the parking line in front of the Alaska terminal is drawn a little too close to the building (granted this is an -800 and we only fly -700s in there now that the -400s are retired, but the wingtip would still be close):
    https://images2.imgbox.com/0a/69/8ex6FlXA_o.jpg

With default scenery, I think your airport is done, it looks great. I don't know how easy, hard or impossible it might be to make it work with Tongass Fjords, but that would be a huge bonus! Either way though, thanks for the project, I always like to see people volunteering for stuff like this, it's what makes this community so great.

The best critique of any scenery addon I've ever read, Thanks for taking the time to look it over.

I'm at a disadvantage however as I don't own Tongass Fjords. I tried to purchase it this morning however FSAddon's PayPal link doesn't allow the use of PayPal Credit as an option and that's the only way I can afford to get it. . .so unfortunately I can't adjust my scenery to fit that addon.

As far as the buildings from Tongass are concerned, unless there is a separate bgl file that would allow you to take it out and remove the Wrangell scenery, that's also something that can't be corrected.

I have tried working with terrain mesh in the past but it is both infuriating and frustrating and while I agree that the hill area not being there is a loss to the overall realism of this particular airport. . .it's what Orbx has produced that I'm limited to. For all their talk about the total realism of their products I have seen many areas where the terrain looks nothing like the real world.

It appears that the only thing in your list that I can fix is the parking spot at Alaska Airlines. . .a simple fix.

If, at some point Francois is able to adjust the PayPal link to allow use of Paypal credit, I'll pick up that addon

Current System Specs:

I have been using only the basic Orbx products (Global Base Pack, Open LC North America and Global Vector), but in the interest of seeing what other problems can be conjured by introducing new areas to the mix I also installed Central Rockies, Northern Rockies, Pacific Fjords and Pacific Northwest. The last photo shows why I said that I see many areas in Orbx land that aren't anything like the real world they supposedly represent. The first two just show a 737-800 in the parking spot after I moved it to give the wingtips some additional elbow room.

Wrangell_Fix-2019-aug-16-001 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Wrangell_Fix-2019-aug-16-002 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

Wrangell_Fix-2019-aug-16-003 by Ed Wells, on Flickr

As I said "infuriating and frustrating"

Current System Specs:

I'm faced with having to reconsider a release of this scenery. It appears that any number of addons will have an adverse effect on it and all of them are beyond my ability to control. If at some point I find a way to make it compatible with every iteration known to man, lol. . .I'll release it. Sorry folks!

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0