F1 Silly Season

Thread: F1 Silly Season

Indeed it is 'silly'.

Not just in the driver market either.
    Liberty want a second GP in the US and a second US team.............maybe they should get a decent race series sorted first!
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Even sillier in MotoGP apparently!!!

We/I thought something might have been happening behind the scenes as Jack's contract seemed to be on endless delay. It seems that a couple of Ducati heavy hitters approached PRAMAC with a plan to bring Jorge back into the Ducati stable.
    Now I do have a very high regard for Lorenzo, and I couldn't get the rationale for him coming back to Ducati and in a satellite team at that. Then again Ducati are not the old independent operation they were only a few years ago. Ducati as a company are 'owned' by AUDI, and AUDI are a model of Teutonic ruthlessness, their buyout of Ducati being an attempt to add a two wheel competitor to their rival BMW. Of course, it is the silly season.

Jack Miller thinks there is 'some truth' to the shock rumours that talks are underway between Jorge Lorenzo and Ducati about a return to the Italian factory next season.

After three MotoGP titles with Yamaha, Lorenzo joined Ducati in 2017 and went on to win three races last season - but only after a poor start to the season prompted the decision to join a Repsol Honda 'dream team' alongside reigning champion Marc Marquez in 2019.
    However, Lorenzo is yet to gel with the front-end feeling and physical nature of the RCV, not helped by a succession of injuries, including back fractures that have sidelined him since Assen.
    Without even a top-ten finish, there were whispers Lorenzo wants out of his two-year Repsol Honda contract and made enquiries about a sensational comeback to his previous role as Andrea Dovizioso's Ducati team-mate.
    That came to nothing when the Spaniard's replacement, Mugello winner Danilo Petrucci, duly re-signed for the official team.

But it seems the chance of Lorenzo being back on a Ducati next year is still alive - and explains the delay in confirming Jack Miller's future, with Lorenzo now linked to the Australian's factory seat at the satellite Pramac team.
    "I think there is some truth to the rumours about Lorenzo," Miller said on Thursday at the Red Bull Ring.
    "For sure, he's looking at something because at the moment he's got nothing. He can't ride that Honda. So it's easy to tuck your tail between your legs and run back.
    "I think that Pramac want to keep me, most people in Ducati want to keep me. But I've got to make sense of why we're in Austria - quite well into the second half of the season and I've two podiums under my belt - and I've still not signed a contract.

"Most of the contract details have been sorted, Pramac has agreed to everything they've been asked to agree to, but still no contract has arrived... We'll wait and see and all I can do is keep doing my best," added Miller, who is currently seventh in the world championship and the top satellite rider.
    "This is my first year on the latest material in MotoGP and this is the most competitive era it's ever been in and I've scored two podiums and been in front of those [top] guys on multiple occasions.
    "I feel that I've been doing everything I can do in order get myself a job. I'm not stressed at all."

Since the Pramac rider contracts are directly with Ducati, it is the factory that has the final say on the satellite team line-up.
    Pressed on who at Ducati is yet to give the green light on his new contract, Miller said only: "Nearly everyone in Ducati wants to keep me. Some people have fond memories of Lorenzo… but like I said, I'm not stressed. I'm just here to do my job."

Ducati Corse general manager Gigi Dall’Igna was known to be the driving force behind the original signing of Lorenzo.
    With the Dovizioso-Ducati title challenge melting in the face of domination by Marquez this season, might Dall’Igna feel Ducati needs Lorenzo back just as much as he needs them?
    It would depend on Lorenzo being released/bought out of the HRC contract and prepared to become a satellite rider for the first time in his MotoGP career.

Meanwhile, Lorenzo's exit would free-up a factory Honda place, for which Miller would be by far the best qualified of the few riders yet to sign for 2020.

Honda plucked Miller from Moto3 directly to MotoGP in 2015. He won a wet race for Marc VDS at Assen the following year but joined Pramac Ducati in 2018 after his contract wasn't renewed under former HRC team manager Livio Suppo.
    "I am very happy with the team I am in and I would love to continue this relationship and that is my number one goal, but for sure if we cannot do this then we have to look elsewhere! And at the moment there are no other options really," Miller said of a potential Honda swap with Lorenzo.
    One rumour that Miller did stamp-out was that, if Lorenzo returns, he would move to the Ducati World Superbike team where Alvaro Bautista is rumoured to be leaving for Honda.
    "I've not thought about World Superbikes. It's not crossed my mind, I've just started going well here and I've not thought about leaving.
    "Once Jorge comes back fro the Maldives or wherever he is, we’ll find out what I’m doing..."
    Miller's rookie team-mate Francesco Bagnaia is in the first year of a two-year contract. Both of Pramac's riders are expected to have the latest GP20 bikes next season.
    Lorenzo, winner last season in Austria, is planning a return to MotoGP action at Silverstone later this month.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

About FormulaOne: Too much young talent. So when Bottas leaves, Ocon is the most likely option. Verstappen stays where he is as RedBull currently does what he asks them to do. With Mercedes, he will be told what is expected from him. I'm afraid when Hulkenberg has to leave Renault there won't be a new seat for him, or perhaps the seat of Kubica. As said too much young talent to offer an old driver a second chance.
    Haas most likely would like to have US drivers, but for many reasons the F1 is not interesting for US drivers. I'm convinced one of the Haas drivers will have to leave at the end of the season, as there has been too much going on between them. Russell might be a nice option for this team, although he has a link with Mercedes.
    Gasly desperately needs results. Although I would love to see the return of Daniel Ricciardo to RedBull, I don't think its a realistic option. A swap of Gasly with Albon or Kyat might be an option (depends on where RedBull prefers to sell its product...).

About the MotoGP: Miracles do happen, but I can't imagine Pramac/Ducati will be happy to hire Jorge Lorenzo. Lorenzo was successful with Yamaha, but his first year in 2017 with Ducati was a straight disaster. He kept complaining he couldn't adjust to the bike and finished the year without a single win..... The second year with Ducati went slightly better, but still he ended only 9th in the championship.

Lorenzo is obviously not the champion anymore who will save your day. You don't need to be able to look into the future, to know that hiring Lorenzo will bring you another your of moaning about the bad steering of the bike. And I can't imagine Ducati is aiming for that.

The nationality if the rider has often a lot to do with sales in the country of this rider. I can imagine Spain is an interesting market for Ducati, but you could also put Alex Marquez on a Ducati......

But there is more silly news, I was reading that KTM will abandon their activities in the Moto2, but will remain active in Moto3 and MotoGP.

BTW nice race at Spielberg yesterday...... Great race by Marquez, but a brilliant action by Dovizioso in the last corner! Quartararo showed his talent again. A nice detail, Marco Zeelenberg his team manager, was Lorenzo's team manager when he was still successful......

Cheers,
    Huub

Huub It has just been announced gasly will change places with Albon.

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    About FormulaOne: Too much young talent. So when Bottas leaves, Ocon is the most likely option.
    IMHO, this will depend from when he leaves (or is kicked from) Mercedes. If he stays one more year, Mercedes will more likely put Russell into his seat in 2021. If he leaves at the end of this season, Ocon would be the right choice for Mercedes, since Russell might need another learning year.

Huub,
    It is rumoured (isn't everything) that Hulkenberg could be driving for HAAS next season.
    They certainly need a driver who is experienced, stable and very capable under pressure.

Re Lorenzo and PRAMAC, their riders are selected by Ducati, and it was Ducati/AUDI who supposedly came up with this proposal.
    Apparently they had decided that Jorge's performance last year might be repeated if he could be tempted away from Honda.
    Then again, it might well have been 'suggested' via the Lorenzo management people.
    It is the silly season after all.
    KTM are concentrating on MotoGP which is why they are leaving Moto2, they will remain in Moto3 under the Husquvana banner.
    As for a ride in MotoGP for Alex Marquez, I think he could do a lot worse than (perhaps) riding alongside Cal Crutchlow in the LCR Honda (satellite} team.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    About FormulaOne: Too much young talent. So when Bottas leaves, Ocon is the most likely option.

If Bottas goes, it won't be on his own free will… At least he already has a plan B, in his own words.

I'm afraid when Hulkenberg has to leave Renault there won't be a new seat for him, or perhaps the seat of Kubica.

He was linked to Red Bull a couple of weeks ago, and Haas would sure like to have him too.. If Ocon doesn't get the Mercedes seat next season, Toto has said he will shred his contract with Mercedes and he might join Renault.

Haas most likely would like to have US drivers, but for many reasons the F1 is not interesting for US drivers. I'm convinced one of the Haas drivers will have to leave at the end of the season, as there has been too much going on between them. Russell might be a nice option for this team, although he has a link with Mercedes.

Russell will stay with Williams for 2020 as he has a two-year deal and Claire Williams will not let him go.

Interesting rumor: If he keeps performing well in F2, Mick Schumacher might take a seat at Alfa Romeo next season...
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    And speaking of MotoGP and KTM: Johann Zarco will elave the team at the end of this season per his own request.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Shame about Zarco Ferry, he is a talent but I think KTM were overly ambitious running four bikes at such an early stage.
    Be good if he had a ride with a team like LCR, Lucio is really good at nurturing his riders.

The young Alex Marquez will not make the move to the MotoGP, he just signed for another year in the Moto2 with Marc VDS. A deal with Petronas was blocked as Yamaha didn't want to reserve a spot for him in their satellite team.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 0