Microsoft Retakes Control of FSX

Thread: Microsoft Retakes Control of FSX

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Microsoft Retakes Control of FSX

https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/conte...ULVVfJWkpT-tBI

In 2014 Microsoft entered into an agreement allowing Dovetail Games to bring Flight Simulator X to Steam. Today, we are announcing that we've reached the end of our partnership agreement.
    We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation to Dovetail Games for the partnership they've provided over the past 5 years. Going forward, Microsoft will take over support of Flight Simulator X and we look forward to sharing our next steps with the community in the very near future.
    Paul Jackson CEO Dovetail adds a€_We are incredibly proud to have looked after this fantastic flight sim during the last 5 years and we will continue publishing existing and new add-ons for FSX: Steam Edition on Steam.
    This change will not impact your game experience or impact existing or future add-ons purchased from Steam.
    Microsoft
    The return of Microsoft Flight Simulator X is an important step in embracing our accountability and responsibility to those that have come before us. And to those that continue to value and invest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator X experience.
    That passion, investment, and appreciation must be recognized and reflected in our commitment to carry the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise into the next generation. We are not building on, but building from, the product and history that is Microsoft Flight Simulator X.
    Today, with a bit of bittersweet sentiment, we say a€_Welcome Homea€_ to an old friend.
    More on our FSX plans coming soon.
    Sincerely,
    The Microsoft Flight Simulator Team
    www.flightsimulator.com

Tags: microsoft, msfs

This could be good news...
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

"This could be good news..."

emphasis on "could be"...

Honestly, Im pretty happy with P3D at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post

They could also bring P3D back into the MS fold as well. I don't know what the duration of their licensing agreement with LM is, or if it is something that had to be renewed annually. I'm sure we'll find out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post

I think more like 'will be'.

All MS has to do is drag the old dog screaming into the 20th Century [sic] ....
    Preferably have it handle computer specs beyond a 486....
    That'd be nice....

Now expect MS to put the screws on LM re educational or commercial users only, after all that is the contract and one thing MS is good at is enforcing their rights! Bad thing or good thing who knows?

And I believe in the Tooth Fairy, Father Christmas and the whole nine yards.
    Microsoft are not a benevolent organisation...................................... .................
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Honestly, the corporate-speak is like the Chief Warder at San Quentin “welcoming” the latest batch of inmates. “Bittersweet sentiment” indeed!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

How about MS take FSX back from Steam to prevent any further development, then kill it off to remove a rival and pave the way for their new sim?

My "could be" in this is that it could be good news for X-Plane.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    And I believe in the Tooth Fairy, Father Christmas and the whole nine yards.
    Microsoft are not a benevolent organisation...................................... .................
    Hey Wombat! I'm trying to be postive here...behave yourself! LOL
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I look at it this way. The Flight Simulator that Microsoft will be introducing will be for entertainment purposes, while Lockheed will still be free to develop P3D to suit their education, and professional training aims. Currently Lockheed's agreement of use doesn't approve of entertainment. (...not like that stipulation has really stopped anyone from using P3D. But I digress.)

It will be interesting to see what comes.

Members who have read this thread: 0