Some new Bf 109Fs for the Channel Front
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some new Bf 109Fs for the Channel Front

Some new Bf 109Fs for the Channel Front

We've been lacking the gorgeous new Bf 109F for the Channel Front for far too long - with John's gracious permission the situation is about to change. I've reworked his existing skins into a bunch of new ones, spanning the models from Bf 109F-1 to Bf 109F-4. Eight aircraft in total. Will be uploaded when I get the package finished.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Outstanding !! One of my favorite Bf-109's. Thanks for all the work. Can't wait for these ! Regards,Scott

Very nice, and I agree, much needed! Should pair well with the Spitfire Mk.IIs too.

Good stuff Rene!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Bump mapped?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

SOH-CM-2020
    Great screenshots! Presumably these are Era2 for ETO? I might try to make a channel campaign where each version of the F4 is available to fly. Then the MkII Spitfire can be added when it becomes available. Active part of the campaign map over the channel, with invade off selected.

This model was released way before bump mapping was available, so no skins have had bumps done. Having said that, I do have an almost finished bump map for it, if Rene wants to use it I'll get it to him, but he may not want to, as bump mapping alters the skin quite a bit?

I do intend to update my 109, E and F skins with bumps as soon as time allows!
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Marking your words John!

Great stuff Rene, the F variant is pure armony in my book.
    Luca

Quote Originally Posted by Daiwilletti View Post
    Great screenshots! Presumably these are Era2 for ETO? I might try to make a channel campaign where each version of the F4 is available to fly.
    Technical nitpicking - only one F-4 in the package as of now. The majority are F-2s, the F-4 was a rare sight in the west as the Fw 190A had already entered service with most Channel front units converting to it and all but two Bf 109F units were in the east to support Operation Barbarossa.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo/4 View Post
    This model was released way before bump mapping was available, so no skins have had bumps done. Having said that, I do have an almost finished bump map for it, if Rene wants to use it I'll get it to him, but he may not want to, as bump mapping alters the skin quite a bit?
    Hard to say. Having seen a real war veteran Bf 109G up close it's very smooth, not surprising as it's an all metal aircraft, and if anything the F series had noticably better build quality. The specular texture already gives an impression of panel line recesses and that's about all there is on the real aircraft but it's a 50/50 situation. I'd say that the model doesn't absolutely need it but giving people options is always a good thing, everyone can decide by themselves whether to use the bump map or not.

Interesting, didn't realize the F-4 was so rare in the west. Any F-1s in the mix?

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    Interesting, didn't realize the F-4 was so rare in the west. Any F-1s in the mix?
    Only one, Mölders' "double chevron and bars" seen in the first picture in the opening post. It will have a winter skin too to depict its earlier appearance in late 1940, early 1941 before it gained the full markings. For once the CFS3 winter skin system can be used for historical accuracy!

One F-1, six (I made one more) F-2s, one F-3, one F-4. Not far from the actual model distribution in the west, the F-2 was the main model there.

I've been test flying the package for the last few days and although even the DB601N engined F-1 and F-2 are blindingly fast (the top speeds in the XDP description sections are actual flight tested performance, as with all air files that have passed through my hands) for early war aircraft, and the DB601E powered F-3 and F-4 even more so, the Friedrich family is certainly no match for a Spitfire in a close quarters turning fight. The Messerschmitt pilot has the advantage over a Spitfire II, even over a Spitfire V but with a smaller margin, in every area of performance except turning circle and the situation only gets worse as the speed drops.

So a note for future pilots of these machines: if you're tangling with a Spitfire at less than 200 mph, stop it while you still can and do something else because everything else is a better idea if you want to fly another time.

oh wow, fantastic screen shots!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

That sounds about right. The F series was no slouch. BTW the early Spitfires currently available for CFS3 are all a bit under powered, but the new Spitfire IIs meet the flight test data. Your 109s will still outperform them though.

The early Spitfires available until now have been outdated for ten years, they became obsolete as soon as AvH 4.00 landed in large numbers... the only properly performing ones are the Mk V series Nigel and I made for MAW and their problem is mostly being Trop versions - in other words, going nowhere quickly. There are a few without the Vokes filter in the set and they do around 370 mph depending on the engine version, as they should. Still slow compared to the nearly 390 mph of the Bf 109F-4 though, no doubt about that, but that's how they were.
    Last edited by greycap.raf; August 14th, 2019 at 05:55.

Yep, the RAF was having a hard time of it in 1941 - and that was before the Fw 190 arrived.

Below, a properly performing 4.00 Mk.Vb, Merlin 46 engine, based at West Malling in August 1942.

Just so you know they exist...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

And a load of Mk.IIs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Blog Entries
    Can't wait for the new Spitfires coming out ! Have the "old" AvHistory MkVB and love it. A excellent dogfighter and a great cockpit for a older model. Is a good match-up with the Bf-109F. Enjoy fighting with them in the ETO and MAW along with a custom install also. Thanks for teasing us with the pics ! Rub it in ! Hahahaha ! Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    Wish the Bf-109's in CFS3 had animated wing slats. Would add to the realism and immersion. Just a thought...

Love those Spit's!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    www3.telus.net/murrdaka/

Quote Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
    Love those Spit's!!
    Thank you! They are of course the ancient models reworked, not the new one. The air files are up to date 4.00, the models tweaked and the skins are new. The Mk.V is quite fun, because it goes all the way through the transitional period, with the original Temperate Land Scheme, changing over time to the definitive Day Fighter Scheme with the C-Type markings. Lots of latitude!

Here's another 1942 Mk.Vb, this time with a Merlin 45 engine.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Mk.II here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Members who have read this thread: 0