2D panel or VC ?

Thread: 2D panel or VC ?

2D panel or VC ?

Hallo friends,

there is a problem for me with VCs I want to hear (read) your opinons about.
    Today some very talented aircraft desighers furnish their ac with virtual cockpits
    I only can say
    Amazing
    Yes they realy translate a lot from the feeling how the pilot did feel in his plane.
    BUT, yes it is sad to say, there is a "but"
    The "but" is that on my old pc the sim begins to "stutter" so it is no more a flight but a diashow.
    With the 2D panel I do not have this problem so hard or even not at all.
    My Ju 88 A-4 has a realy very complex 2D panel, with a lot of gauges and functions - no flight problem
    When I tried Shessies excellent Bf109B-1 with the VC, the plane is getting inflyable. But with a 2D panel no problem.
    Allright my pc is about ten years old and I cannot afford a new one or a better video card.
    I will believe not to be the only one with an old maschine.
    So what are your opinions?
    Yours
    Papi

It's not really the fault of the video card as it is the CPU speed causing stutters.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

2D panel or VC ?

Hallo friends,

here is what ccleaner tells me about my maschine:
    Windows XP home SP3
    AMD A4-6300 Apu with Radeon HD Graphics, 3,5GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    A bit old isn't it ?
    and my Defrag tells me that from
    298,08 GB 158,20GB are still free
    System is NTFS
    Yours
    Papi

2D panel or VC not a laptop, but an old tower

Hallo Friends,

Shessy, no, no, it is not a laptop, but just an old tower and I added an Nvidia video card - NVIDIA GeForce GT 520
    Yes the maschine is old, but still I can do my little panels and "play" with the flight dynamics I can live with it - lol no other choice.
    Yours
    Papi

Hi Papi,
    Ok good then you have a separate graphics card, but it is low spec, that is what is almost certainly causing your problems...and the answer is an upgrade of the graphics card card!

The CPU - ok, RAM - 3.5 GB?, you do not need any more than 3Gb, get rid of the 500Mb, it could cause issues (yes it can!);

Make sure you are not auto-start/running uneccessary progs be very strict on this;

Since XP is so vunerable to internet nasties make sure you run a lightweight AV (YES lightweight) as you cannot protect it against much so there is absolutely no point in running a heavy resource AV (ie Norton, McCaffee et al)...it will slow the pc. If you do not connect it to the internet then do not run an AV, I don't with my simming XP machine.

Cheers

Shessi

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post

The CPU - ok, RAM - 3.5 GB?, you do not need any more than 3Gb, get rid of the 500Mb, it could cause issues (yes it can!);

Cheers

Shessi
    Shessi,

My guess is that Papi is running 4+ GB of memory, and he can’t get rid of just 500mb. I wouldn’t advise getting rid of any of it. Since he running Windows XP, a 32bit operating system, XP will only ever “see” and use 3.5GB of memory. I saw this all the time when I used to dual boot XP 32bit and Win 7 64bit on my old system that had a total of 12Gb of RAM. (An old i7 930 system).

I agree the best upgrade to do on that system would be a better video card. Outside of that I would advise getting a modern system all together.

2D panel or VC ?

Hallo friends,
    that my pc is a bit too old, allright that I know,
    what would interest me if any other users encountered the difference between VC and 2D panels,
    and if there is SOFT trick without buying new material?
    Or does I stay alone with that problem?
    (Just said a side I search a sponsor LOL)
    Yours
    Papi

Hi,
    I've always just preferred the 2D panel; sometimes, even with a plane that has a VC, I'll use that wonderful View Skip gauge by Doug Dawson to just jump to the next view.

Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonadedrinker View Post
    Hi,
    I've always just preferred the 2D panel; sometimes, even with a plane that has a VC, I'll use that wonderful View Skip gauge by Doug Dawson to just jump to the next view.

Andy.
    With you on this Andy. I must admit to having a preference for 2D pits. VC's can be amazing and immersive but there's nowt wrong with nostalgia.

Taff
    The grass is always greener on the other side...

But, it's just as hard to mow!

Papi, my system is older than yours (12 years old), has a smaller video card (GTX260 with .8 GB), but is running XP SP3 with 4GB RAM.

I get no stutters at all in any aircraft.

Maybe there are some basic FSX settings you can change that would help.

Here are mine shown in attachments.

I have frame rates locked at 42 for the example.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2019-aug-4-001.jpg   ms-2019-aug-4-002.jpg   ms-2019-aug-4-003.jpg   ms-2019-aug-4-004.jpg   ms-2019-aug-4-005.jpg   ms-2019-aug-4-007.jpg  

ms-2019-aug-4-008.jpg   ms-2019-aug-4-009.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

2D panel or VC ?

Hallo Milton,
    nice to read from you.
    I tried a bit to follow your advices,
    even I run FS2004 in GW3 config I tried as possible to transpose your settings to my Fs2004.
    Hmm there is a little better running - a bit.
    Nevertheless seeing the few answers or replies no one or not a lot seems tu have the same problems as I experiance them.
    Yours
    Papi

Members who have read this thread: 1