Target Practice

Thread: Target Practice

Target Practice

Does anyone know of a way to target ground objects as "hostile" over friendly territory? I set up a practice bomb run as part of my Typhoon Squadron campaign but I can't get my wing men to attack the practice ground targets since they are in friendly territory and you can not lock onto them. Making them German objects (buildings, trucks, tanks ect..) from the infrastructure list does not make them hostile or give you a lock on in friendly ground either. The planes do fine over enemy territory and attack targeted ground objects with no problem so it's not the A/C DP file.

Did you try setting a Front Line around the objects? Creating your own "fee fire zone" should make all the objects inside it "enemy" regardless of nationality and lockable.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf 07 View Post
    Did you try setting a Front Line around the objects? Creating your own "fee fire zone" should make all the objects inside it "enemy" regardless of nationality and lockable.
    Good idea. I've put a "frontline" around a ship to see whether it would fire at aircraft entering the space regardless of their nationality. That turned out to be the case.

That's one of the ideas I had in mind but just haven't tried yet because I was able target "derelict" ships on my side of the front in bomb and torpedo practice runs in my Coastal Command campaign. Those missions were just the player A/C but I could target the ships. In these new missions even I can't put a lock on the targets. Maybe the targets being at sea negates the front line factor while being on land makes them friendly. I was just hoping there was an easier way to get those results.

OK, I stand corrected. I can not target ships on my side of the line in those older missions...years passing, memory fading LOL. So, being a target at sea has no bearing on it.

I'm pretty sure front lines (f/l) do not effect moving ships. Infrastructure and ground objects to include GSL structures are effected. Since bailing out on one side or the other of the f/l decides whether you are rescued or captured, I use them in my PTO missions, sometimes surrounding a target island with base. It works for me. That's how I make stationary objects "enemy."

For example: Surround Wake Island with an f/l, Then place a US 0.50 cal there. Fly by in a US plane and the gun will fire on you. You should be able to lock on infrastructure ships and wrecks, positioned inside the f/l as well as hangars and other shore installations.

As an alternate: I rarely use Areas and don't recall what you set them for. Perhaps they can be used to designate an area "enemy territory." I doubt it though

Keep posting, sir. I am interested in your solution and the results.

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Here's the solution. Leave the existing front line as is. Place your targets on your side of the line. Create a new front line forming a 1-2 mile box around the objects you wish to target. You can now lock target(s) as enemy infrastructure, ships, vehicles... and AI wing men will attack it.

Sorry SW, just re-read your post...that's exactly what you suggested. I didn't realize you could have two front lines active.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

[QUOTE=
    ...As an alternate: I rarely use Areas and don't recall what you set them for. Perhaps they can be used to designate an area "enemy territory." I doubt it though...

SW07[/QUOTE]

I think the main thing areas get used for is as triggers. Planes flying into or out of an area trigger something else to happen such as a spawning or something similar.

I may have proudly proclaimed the obvious here, but, thought I'd mention it just in case!

Cheers.
    MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; August 2nd, 2019 at 12:18.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    I think the main thing areas get used for is as triggers. Planes flying into or out of an area trigger something else to happen such as a spawning or something similar.

I may have proudly proclaimed the obvious here, but, thought I'd mention it just in case!

Cheers.
    MR
    I thought as much Maskrider, but wasn't sure without MB to verify it. Your comments are always welcome.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I only use areas for triggers also. If you choose "when inside" it gives you some randomness in timing of events.

Members who have read this thread: 1