Difference bewteen a PB4Y-1 and B24J

Thread: Difference bewteen a PB4Y-1 and B24J

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22 Difference bewteen a PB4Y-1 and B24J

Hi Guys,

Just wondering, from a visual standpoint, what is the difference between a Consolidated PB4Y-1 and a Consolidated B24J (or D for that matter)?

In other words, if they were both sporting the same pain-job how would one spot the difference?

Thanks!
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Possibly a different nose gun turret

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cons...B-24_Liberator

Ttfn

Pete

Hiya Chris,

Bit of an anorak regarding PB4Ys, have several unit histories on my bookshelf. Original PB4Y-1s were pretty much standard B24Ds (even supplied in OD over grey). This quickly changed as a result of combat experience to add a nose turret (just like a lot of USAAF B24Ds) at modification centres, but the nose turret wasn't always an ERCO ball turret. Some Navy PB4Y-1 had the same nose turret configuration as the standard B24Js.

Take a look at my range of PB4Y skinpacks I did for Allen's B24J & PB4Y to get a flavour for the variety...

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Hiya UT,

Thanks for the info- you, too Motormouse.

Yeah, I am in the process of sorting out all my AlphaSim, K.Malinowski and Allen Liberator variants along with all the skin packs (UT). My eye were beginning to glaze over.

Now I think I have it pretty well wired. The PB4Y-1s and B24Js had nose turrets. The Js I have loaded sport the pill-box shaped turret and the 1s have the ball turret.

The Ds seem to have no nose turret.

The PB4Y-2 also had a ball turret in the nose- at last the one I have does.

Another thing I noticed that I had never noticed before is that the PB4y-2 engines were mounted with the vents (or whatever they were) arranged vertically, top and bottom, whereas the other three models had them mounted side to side.

Anyhow, thanks for help, UT and MM.

A few screenies:

PB4Y-1 Picadilly-Pam

PB4Y-2 Privateer

B24D Moby-Dick

B24J Little-Lambsey-Divey

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Members who have read this thread: 0