Essex Class Carrier US Navy modification SCB-27A and SCB-27C - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Essex Class Carrier US Navy modification SCB-27A and SCB-27C

Teat in FSX ... Carrier Group from the 50th on its way.....

greetings
    Klaus

AJ (A-2) Savage

greetings
    Klaus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klnowak View Post
    Simple answer to that. You can take the version empty deck with crew and place every aircraft (or helicopter) you want at every place you want by using ModelConverterX. All plane and helicopter will be seperatly in the complet package.

Next step will be a short run in FSX and then i will try to make a night texturing for the ships (hate to do texturing, because i`m a stupid beginner in that.... )

greetings
    Klaus
    Thanks Klaus!

I maybe miscommunicated - I personally like your static aircraft placement just the way you have it, I was just asking about the H-5. But no problem - I think I understand now.

Thanks for adding in the F7F and AJ - I think it's a first for a USN carrier group specifically set in the '55 era period. It'll be a nice home for the RAZBAM F2H-2P (which by the way, works perfect in P3DV4.5!! ) as well as the Virtavia Cutlass. The Virtavia F4D Skyray doesn't quite have a home yet, but maybe in the future.

Again, this is an amazing project, and other than the early angled deck SCB-125 conversions, there is now an almost unbroken chain of major USN carrier class/types from the post-war to present.

Thanks again, Klaus - these are good times to be in FSX/P3D.

dl

Blog Entries
    A bit off-topic - found this interesting video on Essex class boats in the slightly later period to this project - 1957, where they're now almost all angled deck boats.

At around the 5.10 mark, and again at 9.33, you see an early IFOLS setup - but not on port side, as we now know, but aft of the island, on the starboard side. I had never seen that before. Clearly a transitional / testing cycle, given the presence of an "NATC" marked A-3 Skywarrior, and a rather mixed menagerie of aircraft and paints.

Sigh for an FJ-4 Fury, but I digress ....

Anyway, thanks for the 1955 era Essex - a fascinating and exciting period you're covering in this SBC-27A/C refit project.

dl

My dad was on the '57 Med cruise on the Roosevelt (CV-42)...

An FJ-3 OK?

I am not stealing the thread because I am just started but A.F. Scrubby Scrubbs has an FJ-3 Fury that is quite nice that I just found to download for FSX. I am doing a repaint or few for it because his VF-154 was never actively deployed from the information I spent hours looking for so I am repainting it and also doing a gray texture (his is Navy Blue) I will post a new thread here at SOH as I get something done to photograph. Now back to the carrier which I like all of you am so eagerly awaiting and so grateful to Klaus for all his efforts.

Littel progress is done. All daylight texturing for all carriers of this class is done. So all ships got their name and own numbers. Some little different paintings on the bridge is done also for some ships.

Just now i`m playing arround with a little future. In landing configuration outfit (till now there is just one model) you will see a barrier on deck. Did this barrier yesterday evening just as a quick thing. Not the best... but i think for know it is ok. Till now it is just static. But i`ve seen carrier in FSX whitch can move this barrier by using a gauge on your plane. Must have a look on witch way the designers maneged to do so.... perhaps i will try to animate the barrier on carriers too. (if i`m able to understand what the other designers did to get this result).

Just some pictures....

CV-19 USS_Hancock SCB-27C in landing-configuration.

and landing on her in FSX...

Barrier Is Cool

If you could animate the barrier that would be a first that I have seen on a flight sim carrier. In real life, I only saw the barrier rigged once on USS America, CVA-66 in Vietnam since it is only used if the aircraft landing is unable to hook an arresting cable. I like challenges too, though and it would be really special to have the ability to activate it.

This image is from my 1970 Cruise Book

In that little video your can see that the barrier is up for every landing plane. Think thats done on every carrier what does not have an angled deck.

By the way .... nice photo from Phantom. Realy exiciting.

greetings
    Klaus.

From Wikipedia

Landing on flight decks[edit]

See also: Arresting gear

A barricade is raised on USS Ronald Reagan. Barricade usage is a rare emergency measure.

Landing arrangements were originally primitive, with aircraft simply being "caught" by a team of deck-hands who would run out from the wings of the flight deck and grab a part of the aircraft to slow it down. This dangerous procedure was only possible with early aircraft of low weight and landing speed. Arrangements of nets served to catch the aircraft should the latter fail, although this was likely to cause structural damage.
    Landing larger and faster aircraft on a flight deck was made possible through the use of arresting cables installed on the flight deck and a tailhook installed on the aircraft. Early carriers had a very large number of arrestor cables or "wires". Current U.S. Navy carriers have three or four steel cables stretched across the deck at 20 ft (6.1 m) intervals which bring a plane, traveling at 150 mph (240 km/h), to a complete stop in about 320 ft (98 m).
    The cables are set to stop each aircraft at the same place on the deck, regardless of the size or weight of the plane. During World War II, large net barriers would be erected across the flight deck so aircraft could be parked on the forward part of the deck and recovered on the after part. This allowed increased complements but resulted in a lengthened launch and recovery cycle as aircraft were shuffled around the carrier to allow take-off or landing operations.
    A barricade is an emergency system used if a normal arrestment cannot be made. Barricade webbing engages the wings of the landing aircraft, and momentum is transferred to the arresting engine.

As your video shows it was erected for each recovery during WWII and after in Korea. Need to see if we can find some uTube video of recoveries in the late 1950s.

A barricade is only rigged in case of emergency on ALL angled deck carriers. Emergencies include landing gear or hook problems or emergency fuel state, also erratic pilot performance (very rare). Otherwise, it is only rigged for drills and maintenance.

Straight deck carriers always raised a barricade for each landing, but that barricade was mechanically and physically totally different than modern ones and for essentially an entirely different purpose.
    Last edited by Mike71; August 2nd, 2019 at 08:52.

Just finished up repainting the Panther and the H-5. (H-5 is using the original paint)
    Klaus if you would like to use these I can zip them up and send them to you, just PM me.
    I can also change the tail code for different squadrons if needed.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Only Curiosity

I don't remember if you said that the elevator works or not. These are so fantastic already if not that's fine. You have put so much work in them already for us. Don't delay the release. Deck lights at night? You said that you were going to do the night textures.

Hey Richard,
    I started adding nite lighting but got distracted doing the repaints. Here is a pic as she stands now. Not
    to happy with the way it's casting light below the elevator, but don't know if that can be fixed. There are
    I assume spot lights on the island (can't find any pics or info to confirm) but they sure do look like lights
    so I'm putting them to use.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Just finished up repainting the Panther and the H-5. (H-5 is using the original paint)
    Klaus if you would like to use these I can zip them up and send them to you, just PM me.
    I can also change the tail code for different squadrons if needed.

Joe
    Hi Joe,

I accept the offer gladly. The repaints of the Panthers are very good. That would be a very nice addition to the aircraft carriers of the Essex class, which could then be used by all users.
    Since I myself am not the "painter artist" I would be grateful for that.
    Same would be for the night lighting painting you do. Verny nice work.

So .... if you would like to send these one i will use your paintings for the package.

greetings
    Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    I don't remember if you said that the elevator works or not. These are so fantastic already if not that's fine. You have put so much work in them already for us. Don't delay the release. Deck lights at night? You said that you were going to do the night textures.
    Bag your paden, but there are no working elevators on that ships.

greetings
    Klaus

Klaus,
    Both early and late WWII versions of Flying Stations' HMS Victorious (R38) have working landing barriers. They use a XML gauge to check your aircraft's tailhook position. Just a single-line addition in the aircraft's panel.cfg file. Barriers are up when you are approaching the ship with tailhook down, when you land and raise the hook the barriers lower and you can taxi forward. Nice animation feature. The guys at Flying Stations are supportive of other developers so I'm sure they would provide more detail.

A small point -

The Navy Ensign (national flag) is flown from a halyard rigged to the top of the main mast at sea, not on a staff angled from aft the island. All USS warships do this.

In port or at anchor, carriers fly the Ensign from a temporary staff erected on the stern of the flight deck - a practice known as "shifting colors".

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    Klaus,
    Both early and late WWII versions of Flying Stations' HMS Victorious (R38) have working landing barriers. They use a XML gauge to check your aircraft's tailhook position. Just a single-line addition in the aircraft's panel.cfg file. Barriers are up when you are approaching the ship with tailhook down, when you land and raise the hook the barriers lower and you can taxi forward. Nice animation feature. The guys at Flying Stations are supportive of other developers so I'm sure they would provide more detail.
    Found the VictoriusEarlyWar on this morning on my used models on my harddisk an tried to integrate this into the Essex Class. Works very fine. Just did an EMail to the designers and also write a message on their Facebook side to ask for their permission to use their verv fine work. If they agree and i will get their permission, i will bring that very nice work from them to the carriers.

Thanks for your adwise.... that will be a very nice future.

greetings
    Klaus

Sounds

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    A small point -

The Navy Ensign (national flag) is flown from a halyard rigged to the top of the main mast at sea, not on a staff angled from aft the island. All USS warships do this.

In port or at anchor, carriers fly the Ensign from a temporary staff erected on the stern of the flight deck - a practice known as "shifting colors".
    In my NAS Alameda scenery I implemented all kinds of sound effects inport on the 1MC. Also when USS Constellation gets underway using AIBOATS you can hear,"Set the special sea and anchor detail"; "Shift the colors" and the ship's whistle is sounded as the last line leaves the pier. These are effects that are triggered with a control. I wanted to do this with the USS Saratoga CV3 I just finished converting but didn't know how to implement them if its possible without GMAX in an AI Carrier. Sounds like a project to start researching since I just finished completing KASW Warsaw Indiana Airport. I just found all my ESP files from Microsoft on Effects. Time to "hit the books". Keep up the fantastic work you guys.

At the moment I'm still looking for a special piece of information and surely there is someone here who can testify to that.

What parameters in FSX Acceleration give me the ability to affect the length of the deceleration path of an aircraft after it has grabbed a rope with the catch hook? Is there any way to influence the braking distance?

During normal landings on a runway, I can change the braking force of the brakes. For this there is the parameter toe_brakes_scale = x in the aircraft.cfg. Is that also possible with the safety rope? And if yes --- with which parameter?

Background: In a landing with the F9F Panther on the carrier, the aircraft landing with the minimum landing speed still needs about 90 m to come to a stop. That seems pretty long. (that means by catchin rope one the plane will stop in front of the bridge of the ship. In reality it stops far behind the bridge in a much shorter way.

I would be grateful if someone can give me the appropriate information here.

greetings
    Klaus

Try adjusting the CABLE FORCE line in the [Tailhook] section of the aircraft.cfg.

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length=4 ;(feet)
    tailhook_position=-53.30, 0.0, -1.23, // longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
    cable_force_adjust= 0.59

The line in RED above.

Increase it by 0.5 at a time, until you get close to what you want the plane to do on trapping. Then decrease the amount you increase it by. Or decrease it by, as the case may be.

It takes some trial and error, and a lot of traps to get it perfect, but it's worth it. Besides, the more traps you have under your belt, the better you get!

And yes, it only applies to one plane at a time. I think (very seldom, but I really do think, once in a while, anyway...) that there is a way to adjust the cable force of the ship's wires in the model, but I don't know how.

Does this help at all?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Thank you very much Pat,

will try that tomorro and will see what happens.

thanks
    Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    [TailHook]
    tailhook_length=4 ;(feet)
    tailhook_position=-53.30, 0.0, -1.23, // longitudinal, lateral, vertical positions from datum
    cable_force_adjust= 0.59

Does this help at all?
    Pat☺

this one matches fine for the Vertigo F9-F Panther : cable_force_adjust = 1.89

and a new plane for the Essex Class

US_AF2W_Guardian

greetings
    Klaus

Members who have read this thread: 3