Essex Class Carrier US Navy modification SCB-27A and SCB-27C - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Essex Class Carrier US Navy modification SCB-27A and SCB-27C

First step to get the night lightning for the carriers. As far as i know, these carriers did not have a night lighting for the deck as it is in use today. They only had lights as spots at the bridge to light up some parts of the deck.

First shots... (all textures will be done as night textures in the near future)

greetings
    Klaus

Blog Entries
    Klaus, those lights look insanely good. I can't believe how well this Essex (mega)project is turning out.

You're right about the lighting being limited. Though I vaguely recall reading in what I think was Alan Shepard's biography, that while flying the Banshee on a night flight or approach to his carrier, he had a complete electrical failure, and lost all his radios and navigation equipment. He credits seeing the distant lights of the carrier to bring him in safely for recovery.

So I'm guessing there was some island lighting, and maybe some basic deck lighting, but not completely sure about the latter. I've been enjoying night landing practice of late, so this carrier will also be put to work there also

thanks again,

dl

First test for the challange to land on essex carrier in 1950 during the night.

greetings
    Klaus

Think that will be ok so.... not much light for landing.... but real close to the reality in 1950.

greetings
    Klaus

Very nice. It would be interesting to see what the real night lighting on the flight deck was like during those times.

I came across this info that I was not aware of:

Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat fighter of VF-15 being catapulted from Hornet via the hangar catapult, 25 February 1944

Info on carriers with hanger deck catapults:

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...f-world-war-ii

Very interesting thing. Never heard of those hangar catapult .... Would be nice to see something like that on a fsx ship.

I`ve done a little bit more of working with the SCB-27A. These models are nearly ready now. Just even now i did a lot of testing with it and a couple of little new improvments (as the Jeep as decktug). Next to do will be same improvments on the SCB-27C. Followed up by the readme.

Some shots from the testing this morning with the Jeep Decktug on the ship.

In background you also can see some improvments on the USS Bataan. But to end this one will take time again.

Klaus, a question about the deck lighting. Can these effects be adjusted so the lights are only visible at night? Looks great at night, but a bit strange in daytime. Also, I see you have added AJ Savages to the parked aircraft. How about a F9F-5P Panther photo bird?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F9F-5P_VC-61.jpg  

Will have a look for the night lightning. First for now i delete this. Perhaps (if i will find no other way ) i will make two models each. One with and one without night lightning.

Till now the SCB-27A will come with 7 models, 8 different liverys and 13 possible deck layouts. One model is empty without any plane. Because you will get all the plane models too, you can do your own decklayouts at free will. Many different paintings for different plane squadrons inside the package. You also can do your own paintings for other squadrons if you want. Did simple paintkit for every plain in Photoshop.

The same will come for the SCB-27C carriers. Most of these are ready too.

SCB-27C with a new deck layout inclusiv Douglas A-1 Skyraider.Last plane group i will do for now. So i think after holliday (one week to the island of Rhodos) i will do the rest and then these ships will come to upload (hope that i willnot find any other mistakes till then)

Greetings
    Klaus

(out for holliday now )

Klaus,

To turn the lights off during the day and only come on at nite you need to add this in the " Effects Parameters" line in the Attached Object Editor
    for each Light effect that you added to the MDL.

DAWN=0; DAY=0; DUSK=0; NIGHT=1;

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

This is an awesome package that Klaus is putting together. I'm going to have to do some extensive mods to my AI Carriers cfg file when he release these carriers.

Back from holliday i did the rest of work on these sips. All models are ready and tested now. What still is to do.... the readme for the installation.

First the SCB-27C. 7 models with 3 liverys each. All these models in two different variants. One with 3D light and one without. the variant with 3d light is shown up on daylight also....just can`t change that, but i think it is not so bad. Try as you want. If you dont like that...take the variant without those lights.
    As said before, you will also get all the plane models and decktugs.So you can take the empty varieants and do your own deck layouts or can place other aircraft models you own. Perhaps i will do some other planes and decklayouts in the future.

The SCB-27A gets 7 models with 8 liverys each and also the two variants with or without 3Dlights for every model.

All decklayouts for the USS CV-19 Hancock

with and without 3Dlights

SCB-27A

USS_CV-9_Essex
    USS_CV-10_Yorktown
    USS_CV-12_Hornet
    USS_CV-15_Randolph
    USS_CV-18_Wasp
    USS_CV-20_Bennington
    USS_CV-33_Kearysarge
    USS_CV-39_Lake Champlain

SCB-27C

USS_CV-11_Intrepid
    USS_CV-14_Ticonderoga
    USS_CV-19_Hancock

Every ship got his own squadrons of plane with different livery for every plane. If you like, you can do other squdrons for other timeline on our own

Hope to find the time this week to do the readme. If this will be possible i will do the upload within this week.

greetings
    Klaus

Great work. very great work
    I imagine this fleet around the Solomon Islands (it's not the same period but ...) in full exercise

Quote Originally Posted by lagaffe View Post
    Great work. very great work
    I imagine this fleet around the Solomon Islands (it's not the same period but ...) in full exercise
    About 3 years ago i started to model the Incheon Landing. Never ended this one but it is also nearly ready (and installed on my computer for use). Perhaps i will do some work on this one in the near future. that would be the right one for these carriers. Did all the coastline and about 100 islands in this aerea as they had been in 1950, using topographical maps from this timeline.

Some better shots from the different deck layouts....

SCB-27C

Last edited by klnowak; September 15th, 2019 at 02:29.

And one layout from the SCB-27A---

greetings
    Klaus

Just some shots of that scenery of Incheon Landing as it is today.You see a very smal part of the aerea that has been redone.

greetings
    Klaus

That`the aerea that had been redone completly. Looks very different in 1950.

greetings
    Klaus

Hi,

Very interesting Klaus.
    What a coincidence, I have my son who spent last year in Daegu for his studies and I would be very happy to be able to fly over the country that has hosted him all this time

Inchon would be a great follow on to tie into the Chodo scenery from Mark. Spent many years in the ROK.
    Hawkdriver

Hugely excited about this fine work Klaus!

Have you or others tested this with the ""Carriertracks" programme? A while back we found with some other carriers the airwing/deckpack would slip behind and trail the ship. Don't know if a solution was ever found. No problem when using AICarriers2 to spawn a boat with an airwing. Also, probably depends how the deck aircraft are modeled.

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Klaus, this work is simply terrific. Cannot say enough about the effort you have gone to in making flight simulation that much more enjoyable.
    A question on your note "So you can take the empty varieants and do your own deck layouts or can place other aircraft models you own. Perhaps i will do some other planes and decklayouts in the future."

Can you provide basic instructions on how to do that in the readme? I am assuming (dangerous territory here) that is done using MCX?

Many thanks to you for this.
    Kind regards,
    Deke
    (Navy81)

Quote Originally Posted by navy81;1197171[COLOR=#333333

Can you provide basic instructions on how to do that in the readme? I am assuming (dangerous territory here) that is done using MCX?

Many thanks to you for this.
    Kind regards,
    Deke
    (Navy81)[/COLOR]
    You will find a basic discription how to do this with ModelConverterX in the readme for that carriers. Very nice discription how to do with this freeware program you will find in YouTube too. So i think, with all these information, you will be able to do such deck layouts.

Did all the rest for ending this package last night .... so the upload will come today.

Some last shots from a little "flight training" this morning...

@ all : Upload done.... so have a nice time with these carriers.

greetings
    Klaus
    Last edited by klnowak; September 22nd, 2019 at 04:48.

I'm looking for the download link. Is it available yet?

As soon as Rami ok's the download it will show up. Please be patient.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    As soon as Rami ok's the download it will show up. Please be patient.
    Found it! Thanks

Members who have read this thread: 3