Frame Rates

Thread: Frame Rates

Frame Rates

I have found since shifting 2 years ago to 64 bit P3D from FSX almost fault free. No OOM's I can recall and an occasional CTD which I suspect is limited to a particular problem scenery or gauge. I really like P3D 4.5 and have no plans to go back to FSX or interested in X Plane.

What I am now experiencing is a drop in frames from 45-60 fps to about 4-5 fps. This happens on very long flights (often I set up while sleeping) but also if I do a lot of aircraft changes while not exiting the sim - or doing a lot window opening and closing and engine management adjustments - currently flying Manfred's Starliner where this is almost continuous. I just save the flight, shut down the sim, restart, load the saved flight and my fps is back to normal.

Appreciate you theories or suggestions. Thanks!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I'm experiencing high CPU usage, despite having a 3 year old CPU (i7/6700), 32 Gigs RAM and a 1080ti.
    This sounds like a similar issue. P3D is still chewing through the CPU and causing it to bog down.

On those long haul flights, do you minimize the P3D window? I've had positive results from this, as it isnt drawing everything and can allow the program to essentially run in the background. I could be wrong, but...
    I pass gas!

Happened to me once aswell.
    The problem was solved for me by deleting the shader cache and let it rebuild a new one.

The problem was solved for me by deleting the shader cache and let it rebuild a new one.
    That's interesting (also agree minimizing the window helps reduce cpu burden). Can you explain what the shader cache is/does and where it is? I do use Tomatoshade which I assume would not be affected by emptying the cache?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    That's interesting (also agree minimizing the window helps reduce cpu burden). Can you explain what the shader cache is/does and where it is? I do use Tomatoshade which I assume would not be affected by emptying the cache?

Yes deleting the Shaders folder is completely harmless and will not effect your Settings or Add On's.

At worst a corrupt Shaders folder can cause Prepar3D not to launch.

In some Instances a corrupt Shaders folder can cause stutters and or low Frame rate

See this topic on Avsim for info :
    https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/4...ar3d-v2-v3-v4/

Happened to me once aswell.
    Yes - deleted and rebuilt the shader file and the sim seems much smoother and stutter free already.

Members who have read this thread: 0