FSX Is safe here

Thread: FSX Is safe here

members+
    Fighter Fanatic

FSX Is safe here

Recently, I had been considering P3D as a future movement upgrade to FSX. I was asking around, and Daube had gotten me to re-visit my X-Plane 11 copy, which I'd disregarded early, as too different and not enough. After taking his advice, and digging in for a few days, I was and am blown away by it. However, as cool as it is, it is still missing some things that I use with ease in FSX. The initial 'this is awesome' shock has worn off, and I'm going to take his advice. Keep FSX and slowly, over a decent period of time, play with X-Plane until you really get it where you want it.

After much deliberation, I've decided to Keep FSX right where it is, and continue regularly flying that sim. There's just too much I've invested both years ago and just recently, in FSX, and too many of my beautiful ships, to let go of right now. Just got Active Sky Next, and Accu Sim, and those two addons really transform and breathe some serious life into the 12 year old sim. ASN really makes you feel like you're in the air, with the dynamic air and wind movement and effects on the aircraft. Very cool stuff.

I did scope the XP market out, and while it is impressive and growing, it is still fledgling compared to FSX's huge market. Our community and following around such an old sim speaks volumes, even though it was designed in a backwards direction (the direction they though PC hardware was going to go in those days). I'm happy to have re-joined and become a part of it again, and am happy I've jumped back on here. I do miss some of the older faces; Pointy and Gramps were my dudes, miss joking around with those guys. There's also many new faces and many of the older ones still here. Where is Huub?

Anyway, not that my sim life choices are super important to anyone else, just thought this would be a cool and affirming post about the validity and life still left in FSX. It is still a great sim, even with some of its harsh downfalls. The beauty of it is, I can post on XP forum here, too. xD

Here to stay.
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

Here here. Just because you upgrade to a new sim doesn't mean you have to pitch the old. Don't know where I'm headed, P3D or wait 'n see with FS2020 but I have way to much invested in FSX to let it go. (Bit of advice, don't EVER go and total up your add ons if you want to keep your sanity!)

As Josh said, you don't have to limit yourself to one sim, with P3D you can always get a one month developer account and try it out. I was surprised how many of my fsx add-ons worked fine in v4, and if they don't you still can go back to FSX and try it there.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Good for you!

I can tell you from being a beta tester for Cr1 that Fsx is very far from dead, what it can actually do if developed is far ahead of Prepared. My hunch is that after Flight comes and we see how hard it is to mod for it and not to say the system requirements needed, fsx probably steam version will go on on and on. Seeing the things that good developers can do and will start doing if the community needs it is pretty impressive. we have not seen the last of fsx, not even close! Even fs9 can be upgraded a lot its not even barely touched yet...

Slim

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Glad I'm definitely not alone in my sentiment. I agree, just too much invested, both time and monetarily. We've all been down the dreaded FSX.CFG tweaks road, and usually it kinda does do something.

I'll never add up the $$ spent on guns or addons or Steam account.... Again....
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

Yep having invested in a copy of XP11, I am still using FSX -so much out there for it freeware and payware, plus you don't need a 'super computer' to run it with the add-ons -i'm using Orbx TE GB and get really poor frame rates -its a RAM issue i know -but with everything maxed out in FSX, using photoscenery of the UK, i'm getting far far better frame rates. There quite a few things that annoy me about X-Plane, the lack of decent AI, ATC, planes behaviour on water, the inability to switch between planes midflight, poor loading times, the bloody libraries - a good idea but constantly finding scenery uploaded that haven't got the right files in the libraries - the need to update them frequently PITA, and no Tiger Moth! I can't say I have noticed a vast difference in the flight physics either.

I understand your decision to stay with FSX. Getting used to a new environment, like XP, is always difficult. And on top of that we have to swallow the fact that it'll also cost a lot of money to get the environment to the same standard you have with FSX.

I would definitely look into Prepar3D as well. As blanston12 said, a lot of FSX stuff works in P3D as well. But the major advantage is that you won't have those nasty OOMs anymore! It looks better too.

I started using X Plane (11) for the first time towards the end of last year. I like the difference in the sims, as it is something new to experience. I do spend a lot of time flying in XP11 now. However I am still using and enjoying P3DV3 and P3DV4 as well as FSX. The reason I suppose is mainly the addons I have acquired for all these sims. I still fly some A2A, PMDG, Just Flight, and Aerosoft aircraft in FSX, and of course have lots of scenery for that sim too. I tend to use P3DV3 for addons which I own that have not been updated to P3DV4 and for mostly military flying, as I have TacPack and the Superbug only for P3DV3, as well as quite a few Sim Skunk Works aircraft. I use P3DV4 for it's upgraded features and mostly for flying long routes with hi def addons which was not possible in older 32 bit sims.

I also own and use other sims, and enjoy using them just as much (DCS World, Aerofly FS2, IL2 series, Rise of Flight, Flyinside Flight Simulator).

I suppose the biggest problem I have is finding the time to share amongst all the sims I own and use, which is a pretty good problem to have .
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    I'm dabbling in both, still. FSX would be solid if I could figure that one issue about autogen out. I may but that Nuvecta thing.

XP11 is the night flying sim. Hands down, gorgeous night environments. I don't like lack of ATC either, like Guzzi said, among a couple other things.

Recently found a hack that helps XP's frame rates, and it would probably benefit FSX, as well. I turned Window Defender off for duration of flight, and immediately got 20% frames back. Unreal. Haven't tried it with FSX yet, but I imagine since Defender is more resource intense than I thought, it would benefit many games. My brother is an IT industry insider, and he says he always shuts that stuff down for gaming.

It will be a while before I nuke FSX, as I'd rather just get a larger harddrive, and transfer XP onto it. Free photo scenery with autogen is pretty awesome, and what keeps me not giving up entirely on XP.
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

You might try creating exclusions for your FSX and X-Plane folder in Windows Defender. Doing so will make Defender ignore those folders, but still protect your computer from anything that might be downloaded.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 0