Wing men can't land

Thread: Wing men can't land

Wing men can't land

OK, another question probably solved a long time ago but need help anyway. I've added an A/C to my list, modified the AIR and CFG files to suite my flying. Everything is great, handles well lands (for me) like a dream. But when I use it in missions the wing men touch down, nose over, flop around like fish out of water then crash. I never tried it before my mods in missions so I'm not sure that effected it. Tried lowering pitch MOI, no help and curiously enough there is no brake strength listing in either the CFG or AIR files. Any ideas?

I've not found a way to solve this one definitively or easily.

I think MOI is definitely part of it but it may also have to do with other factors. These values need to be in balance with each other, they aren't random numbers. Contact and scrape points might be a contributing culprit if they aren't set right, and the weight and balance being calculated correctly may contribute as well. For example, I think planes that noses over or flips when it does land may have the center of gravity located too far fore or aft. Then again it may be something additional such as having correct wing geometry and control surface/travel dimensions in the air file that I haven't even considered.

In short

I'd like to see everyone else's input here as well.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

I tried increasing the braking strength as defined in the 1101 section of the AIR file. Then AI still nose over but seem to settle and not crash. I'm going to try changing the MOI next and see if it improves it further.

Tailwheel steering has an influence on AI landing. Can't remember if it need to be set to fully castoring or otherwise, but one is required for them to land, and stop without flipping or disappearing off to the horizon.

Halving the pitch MOI in both the CFG and AIR files so they match greatly improves AI landing. First 2 out of 3 landed smooth, third nosed over but did not crash. Gonna call this one close enough for now.

Members who have read this thread: 0