New Convert over from FSX

Thread: New Convert over from FSX

members+
    Fighter Fanatic

New Convert over from FSX

I took advice from someone on here and played around a little more with my X-Plane 11 that I had installed but didn't really care for.

WOW. Amazing, once you play with it and stuff. Night flying is a whole new game.

I do have two questions, that I hope you guys can help me with. I installed a bunch of scenery libraries to get a couple freeware sceneries working, and they are running fine now. However, along the path, my taxiway signs got messed up and I can't identify the problem. I've been doing MSFS for years so I'm totally new to this world. Googled already, to no avail.

Other question, is how do I migrate the entire xplane 11 install over to a new bigger SSD? I'm going to Google it when I get home today and try to figure it out, but I figured you guys might already know the easy way. I'm hoping it's not the headache that MS used to make moving anything.

Thanks guys!
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

I too have fallen "Head over Heels" in love with X-Plane! I can't help you with the Taxi Sign issue. You can probably find the answer at the http://www.x-plane.org/ forums. As to moving it, I do have an answer. Simply copy (Or Cut) and Paste the whole kit and kaboodle to the new drive. Just like MS Flight Sim in the old days.

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by edakridge View Post
    I too have fallen "Head over Heels" in love with X-Plane! I can't help you with the Taxi Sign issue. You can probably find the answer at the http://www.x-plane.org/ forums. As to moving it, I do have an answer. Simply copy (Or Cut) and Paste the whole kit and kaboodle to the new drive. Just like MS Flight Sim in the old days.
    Yes sir, I can't believe it's that easy. Another nail in the coffin of FSX. if you need to move it, it's not the end of the simulated, er, world. 🤣

I'll have to screenshot and head over to X-Plane forums and ask them, too.

Thanks sir!
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

I think this addon below is the one I had in mind in my previous reply in your other topic:
    https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php...nvironment-hd/
    As mentioned in the description text, be very careful on how you install it, and where you put it in the scenery_pack.ini.
    I have not installed it yet, but it's on my todo-list

Blog Entries
    I still love FS9 and FSX they brought me to the dance and they were the first real great sims...X-Plane was ugly up until XP10! However XP11 is simply outstanding. Welcome Pilatus Turbo!
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by txnetcop View Post
    I still love FS9 and FSX they brought me to the dance and they were the first real great sims...X-Plane was ugly up until XP10! However XP11 is simply outstanding. Welcome Pilatus Turbo!
    Ted
    Couldn't agree more. They were great in their day. I don't mean FSX is over with prejudice, just that I'm shocked that all these newer and simpler things are in XP 11. I agree on XP being ROUGH for years. Another reason I discounted XP 11 so heavily; don't judge a new book by its prequels' covers.

Daube, my understanding is that, in the scenery pack.ini, the libraries don't matter in terms of their order? It sounds like I'm wrong. I'll have to read up on this.
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

Quote Originally Posted by PilatusTurbo View Post
    Daube, my understanding is that, in the scenery pack.ini, the libraries don't matter in terms of their order? It sounds like I'm wrong. I'll have to read up on this.
    Indeed you were wrong
    That file works like the scenery library in FSX: What is on top of the list will be displayed on top of what is in the bottom of the list.
    As a consequence, it is commonly said that, for example, orthophoto sceneries should be somewhere at the bottom of the list, while airport sceneries should be on the top.

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Indeed you were wrong
    That file works like the scenery library in FSX: What is on top of the list will be displayed on top of what is in the bottom of the list.
    As a consequence, it is commonly said that, for example, orthophoto sceneries should be somewhere at the bottom of the list, while airport sceneries should be on the top.
    Yes, I'm understanding better, now.

I did get the taxiway signs fixed, just me not understanding something basic, as usual.

I plan to keep FSX for the time being, just as you said, and play around with X Plane until I get to a real nice point. Gonna need a bigger drive, if I'm going to duplicate my photo scenery collection; at 6.5-8 Gigs a tile, that's gonna be ROUGH. FSX Will stay if I wanna do some good daytime VFR flying. I still plan to explore Xplane. 30 FPS average is what I'm seeing, and I've done what I can as far as tweak the settings in game to keep it looking as good as I need it to.

I did get 3jFPS and FlywithLua working, but I didn't care for the effects and no noticeable gain in FPS or FPS stability.

I'm gonna keep with it. Seems a more powerful CPU is what X Plane wants for better frame rates. Again, for what you get detail wise, I can and will learn to live with it. I just gotta decide how to proceed with either Moving FSX, or getting a new drive (Can't afford ATM) and placing Xplane on that.

I appreciate your help, very much. You're kind of like my ambassador to switching over. I'll be bugging you in the future.
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

Scenery_packs.ini ordering is important. From bottom to top: Mesh -> Orthos -> Overlays -> Libraries -> Non-airport sceneries -> Default airports -> Add-On Airports

And the beauty about X-Plane is that moving the installation is a copy+paste affair. You will need to make the updater point to its new location or edit the path in "C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\x-plane_install_11.txt".
    Multiple installations are possible without too much hassle as well. By using cleverly placed directory junctions (hard link to a directory), you can also avoid as much unneded file duplication as possible, saving 80 GB or so of disk space.

I love X-Plane's flexibility. It's like flightsimming for power users.

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Ya know, I love that about it, so far.

I was having trouble with small SSD with XP on it, and found that you can easily link Ortho4XP from a different drive. No junctions, no complicated mess. Create shortcuts, put them in the custom scenery folder, and XP recognizes them and loads them. Just have to put them in their correct spot in the ini, at the bottom. SUPER DUPER AWESOME EASY PEEZY.
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10

Members who have read this thread: 0