First Time Considering P3D - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First Time Considering P3D

"I can't keep both sims installed, as of right now. FSX is on my bigger SSD, by itself. XP is on the smaller one, so I'm going to have to Nuke FSX to make room for it"

If you have enough room and connections in your case, have you thought of getting an HDD to clone your FSX:SE onto, and then using
    the now freed up SSD as a new drive for the new sim?

Good quality HDD's are pretty cheap these days, and there's usually not much reported difference in fps between HDD's and SSD's once
    the games are loaded. Just make sure to get an HDD with 7200 rpm speed and 64 mb cache.

-Rob

members+
    Fighter Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    "I can't keep both sims installed, as of right now. FSX is on my bigger SSD, by itself. XP is on the smaller one, so I'm going to have to Nuke FSX to make room for it"

If you have enough room and connections in your case, have you thought of getting an HDD to clone your FSX:SE onto, and then using
    the now freed up SSD as a new drive for the new sim?

Good quality HDD's are pretty cheap these days, and there's usually not much reported difference in fps between HDD's and SSD's once
    the games are loaded. Just make sure to get an HDD with 7200 rpm speed and 64 mb cache.

-Rob
    Agreed. However, when I cloned FSX from this smaller test drive, to this bigger SSD, I initially had some issues. That was a month ago, when I had just decided to get back into simming.

It wouldn't boot up, and after restarting the PC a time or two, it seemed to be stable. Me being me, I nuked it and reinstalled on fresh format, since the install was still pretty new and limited in terms of addons. I also don't have resources or extra SATA connections left on my mobo for more. I'll have to google SATA splitter here in a minute.

I haven't decided yet. I hate having to clone it, period. Registry keys are annoying.

EDIT: Honestly, easiest thing to do, would be get a bigger Drive and just Copy XP over to that, and done. LOL
    Taildragger Pilot

Keep on Flyin'

Ryzen 5 2600
    RX 580 8GB DDR5 OC Armor
    8 GB DDR4 2400
    Dedicated SSD for Win10
    Dedicated SSD for FSX:SE

Members who have read this thread: 0