Another New PC Question

Thread: Another New PC Question

Another New PC Question

Good morning all,

I am not the most knowledgeable of the internal workings of PC's so wondered what you guys think of these spec's that I am looking at that's within my budget. I am looking to be able to do VR with it.

Case - Phanteks Special Edition Enthoo Pro M Glass Panel - Black/White
    Power Supply - 650W 80Plus Gold Rated PSU
    CPU - Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz (4.9GHz Turbo) 8-core with 8 threads Coffee Lake Processor
    Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix Z390-F DDR4 Motherboard
    Cooler - Alpenfohn Matterhorn White Special Edition Cooler
    Memory - Team Group 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RGB Dual Channel Kit
    Primary SSD - Samsung 970 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive
    Secondary SSD - 500GB 860 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps
    Graphics - Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Dual OC 8192MB GDDR6 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    Audio - 7.1 High Definition Audio
    OS - Microsoft Windows 10 64 Bit

Thanks for the help,

Regards
    Dale

It's a very good setup if you ask me.
    I think there are four elements that might be subject to discussion:

1. The case: Ensure it's big enough and be careful with the amount of lights inside. Sometimes in the evening/night, a flashy case can quickly become annoying.
    2. The amount of RAM: I also have 16 Gb. It's ok for P3Dv4 for example, but it's definitely not enough for XPlane or other big games such as Star Citizen. As a consequence, I had to re-enable the virtual memory in Windows, with a fixed size (minimum=maximum=16Gb in my case), resulting in a small waste of SSD space...
    3. The power supply: I'm not sure if 650W is a good choice but I'll let the more knowledgeable members confirm that.
    4. The SSD size: With today's prices, you should have directly taken a 1 Tb drive. That 500 Gb will be full quite quickly, especially if you install photo-sceneries.

Other than that, you'll have all the power you need for VR. I only have a i7 8700k with a GTX 1070ti, and I'm already getting excellent results with a Lenovo Explorer helmet. Your hardware should give good results on newer helmets with superior screen resolutions.

Looks pretty capable.
    But, I agree with Daube, go 1TB for both your SSD drives, or at least for your secondary drive, as I expect you are (you are?) planning on loading your sim outside your system drive.
    A 250GB system drive can get a bit squeezy.
    And you can always add more RAM if you need it later.
    PSU might just be adequate.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

To see if your power supply is good enough, you can try this link:

https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator

Or find other links to calculate your power needs. I tried it with what I saw of your system and 650W is what it recommends. But I didn't know what are all the USB devices you are connecting or if your cooler is liquid or air.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0