LPH-4 Hornet (CV-21), LPH-5 Princeton (CV-37), Valley FoLPH - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LPH-4 Hornet (CV-21), LPH-5 Princeton (CV-37), Valley FoLPH

Blog Entries
    Wow!!!

Thanks Klaus! I can’t download until this upcoming Sat because I’m on vacation with just my phone. But I wanted to thank you in advance. I’m thrilled about how you've timed it, and the whole community owes you a great debt of gratitude for this.

The Korean War pack is a huge unexpected bonus, and will be very enthusiastically enjoyed also.

Many thanks!!

Daniel

Klaus,
    I have been longing for someone to make the carriers I served on between 1962 and 1970.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 (my squadron {HS-3} picked up LCDR Scott Carpenter - Mercury 7 and later Gemini 3 - Grissom and Young {yours truly was the helicopter crewman manning the hoist of A/C #57} - and in March of 1969 onboard the USS Guadalcanal (LPH-7) recovered the crew of Apollo 9 - McDivitt - Scott - Schweickart - last Atlantic recovery)

USS Wasp - CVS-18 and USS Yorktown CVS-10 were my other ships. Respectfully asking, with the Hornet and the Valley Forge being close relatives would you consider the above carriers ?

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    Klaus,
    I have been longing for someone to make the carriers I served on between 1962 and 1970.
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 (my squadron {HS-3} picked up LCDR Scott Carpenter - Mercury 7 and later Gemini 3 - Grissom and Young {yours truly was the helicopter crewman manning the hoist of A/C #57} - and in March of 1969 onboard the USS Guadalcanal (LPH-7) recovered the crew of Apollo 9 - McDivitt - Scott - Schweickart - last Atlantic recovery)

USS Wasp - CVS-18 and USS Yorktown CVS-10 were my other ships. Respectfully asking, with the Hornet and the Valley Forge being close relatives would you consider the above carriers ?

Hello,

I will try to answer the question comprehensively.
    The negative in advance ... to the USS Guadalcanal (LPH7), there is still no suitable model. At least none is known to me. I think that would have to create a capable developer so only from the ground up.

CV-18 Wasp, CV-10 Yorktown and CV-11 Intrepid I will look at and try to create based on the existing models.

CVS-10 Yorktown and CVS-18 Wasp are currently being developed here (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...!-CVT-16/page3) according to a developer's announcement (gp183601) and hopefully soon released. Whether this is then pay- / or freeware I can not recognize yet. But I will see to what extent after publication here the possibility to adapt these models then on the respective Apollo missions.

CVS-11 Intrepid
    would be available as a model of CIMOGT as payware (for example at Simmarket). For this I could imagine (with the permission of CIMOGT) to create an update package, which then the respective buyer could assemble by means of a detailed manual and with the help of ModelConverterX itself. This type of adaptation is visible here in the course. I made this out of fun for myself.
    But that would require his approval.

So ... after completing the conversions of the CV-67 USS John.F.Kennedy, I will gladly take care of it and try as described above to make the models.

I will then start with the CV-10 USS Yorktown because, from my point of view, this ship has a very interesting
    detail. Between two conversion phases, she had virtually no armament on board between 1951-1957.
    Nevertheless she was near the coast off Korea between 1953-1954 with F-9F Panther Jets on her decks.
    For this I just found a photo, which I did not know yet. In other descriptions i only can find the note
    that she was stationed in Japan at that time.

Next one the will be the CV-18 USS Wasp, between 1951-1957. She got nearly all her AA-gun but no big guns on her decks. Different aircraft typ join her in this time.

greetings
    Klaus
    Last edited by klnowak; July 23rd, 2019 at 03:29.

Blog Entries
    Hi Klaus,

I downloaded the two packs and had only a minute to try the Valley Forge. Looks lovely and was able to trap and launch easily. Only did a daytime pattern, not sure if there’s any night lighting, but assuming there is, this will be my default USN Korean War carrier. The Panthers are a nice touch, even though the wings are down, and I saw you hardcoded in a H-5 plane guard.

I launched off the boat with the VS Panther, and was catapulted off at about 200 kts, enough to over speed the nose gear so it wouldn’t retract. Anyone else have this?

Regarding the Apollo recovery ships, can you explain what the scenery items are vs the capsule “ship”? I assume the “ship” object is to enable it to be attached to a ship formation?

Also wondering if the wires and catapult still were operational. I think I saw pics with E-2s aboard, so I assumed so.

Thanks again - will explore more tonight.

Daniel

Hi all,

at first a big thanks for all the downloads a all the comments in here.

@ Daniel

apolloastronautsboot.BGL .... This one is for scenery design as a static model.

ApolloAstronautsBoot.mdl .... This one is for AI traffic. For example you can use it in a carrier group.

The F9-F Panther on deck where a first try. For the next projekt there will be a version with foldet wings. Changed the models today

greetings
    Klaus

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by klnowak View Post
    Hi all,

at first a big thanks for all the downloads a all the comments in here.

@ Daniel

apolloastronautsboot.BGL .... This one is for scenery design as a static model.

ApolloAstronautsBoot.mdl .... This one is for AI traffic. For example you can use it in a carrier group.

The F9-F Panther on deck where a first try. For the next projekt there will be a version with foldet wings. Changed the models today

greetings
    Klaus
    An already awesome project becomes even better! Those folded wings will really help create the right deck atmosphere.

Can someone validate what they’re getting for catapult launch speeds? I recall in FSX a gauge or setting that moderated them to more accurate speeds.

I’m in P3Dv4, so maybe that issue has to be handled in the other forum, but I thought I’d try to ascertain if it was a general issue with the model or something more specific to my install.

In every other respect, it looks and operates gorgeously in P3Dv4.5, btw, for any on that sim.

Thanks again,

Daniel

Blog Entries
    Hello Klaus,

I had some more time tonight with the USS Valley Forge - am really enjoying this one. A couple small bits of feedback that I hope will help.

1) Night Lighting. The Valley Forge (CV-45) has no night lighting except for the front and rear deck numbers, which for some reason are "77", not 34. Am suspecting that's a model versus a paint texture thing, not sure. Also, some basic night lighting to see the deck would be helpful for night ops, if possible.

2) F9F-5 Panthers. You have them folding past 90 deg. The folded wings on these only up to well below 90 deg from horizontal - likely closer to only 65-70 deg. Here's some pics to help illustrate:

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Grum...A-39_1953.jpeg
    https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictur...-panther-walk/

As pointed out in the other thread, the catapult is very powerful - the Vertigo Studios Panther is travelling at over 200 kts with no headwind by the time it clears the edge of the bow. Is there a way to moderate that?

Otherwise, this is shaping up beautifully. I congratulate you for your skill and diligence, which I both lack and envy.

Kindest regards,

Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by delta_lima View Post
    Hello Klaus,

I had some more time tonight with the USS Valley Forge - am really enjoying this one. A couple small bits of feedback that I hope will help.

1) Night Lighting. The Valley Forge (CV-45) has no night lighting except for the front and rear deck numbers, which for some reason are "77", not 34. Am suspecting that's a model versus a paint texture thing, not sure. Also, some basic night lighting to see the deck would be helpful for night ops, if possible.

2) F9F-5 Panthers. You have them folding past 90 deg. The folded wings on these only up to well below 90 deg from horizontal - likely closer to only 65-70 deg. Here's some pics to help illustrate:

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Grum...A-39_1953.jpeg
    https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictur...-panther-walk/

As pointed out in the other thread, the catapult is very powerful - the Vertigo Studios Panther is travelling at over 200 kts with no headwind by the time it clears the edge of the bow. Is there a way to moderate that?

Otherwise, this is shaping up beautifully. I congratulate you for your skill and diligence, which I both lack and envy.

Kindest regards,

Daniel
    Hello Daniel,

for the F9F-5 Panthers you are absolutly right. Bad mistake from my side. Will change that for that model.
    For the night-light texturing I will have a look.

The wrong deck number will be changed. I have assigned wrong textures.

Catapult is the standard one from FSX.... i just did not know if they could be changed. For that i must read some articles.

greetings
    Klaus
    Last edited by klnowak; July 29th, 2019 at 02:16.

Hornet (CV-12)

Quote Originally Posted by klnowak View Post
    Right.... wrong name. Bag your pardon. Did the CV-12 last days as recovery ship from Apollo 11. But that's just for myself because base modell is payware from CIMOGT. So i had this name in mind when i wrote here.

Picture CV-12 will come tomorrow.
    Hornet was also recovery ship for the Apollo 12 mission. I had the privilege of being part of the recovery effort as a C-1A crewman in VR-30 (also was part of the Apollo 11 recovery).

Klaus, you can change the location of the catapults by changing the location of the start and end attach points in MCX. I don't think that you can modify the strength of the catapult though.

Quote Originally Posted by edakridge View Post
    Klaus, you can change the location of the catapults by changing the location of the start and end attach points in MCX. I don't think that you can modify the strength of the catapult though.
    Position is clear. And the used position on this models is the right one. And yes.... till now i also did not hear that i can change the strength of catapult effect in FSX. Also the problem of damage i did not get with my Vertigo Studios F9F Panther when i use catapult on this models. (but i do not use crash detection in fsx.... may be this would be the reason then ?)

But then there must be a parameter in the aircraft.cfg of the aircraft, which allows a setting there.
    greetings
    Klaus

Blog Entries
    Hi Klaus,

I figured out the gear damage issue. It has nothing to do with your model, it's to do with the fact I didn't haven't the catapult force limiter yet adjusted in P3D like I used to have in FSX. That, coupled with the fact that the VS model has gear damage tied to speed, meant that the unduly high catapult launch speeds were damaging the gear.

I deleted the damage numbers in the Panther's contact points section of the aircraft.cfg, and that sorted the second issue. I didn't have time to experiment with adding in the force limiter entry (will do that tonight). But I'm confident that issue is sorted. Sorry for the distraction in having brought it up - I apologise.

Thanks for looking into the folded wing position. What you have is roughly accurate for the F3H Banshee, so I think it could be an easy mistake to make. Also, not sure if it's possible to lighten the "blue" just a tiny bit. It renders as almost black. You don't want it purple, of course, but maybe a shade lighter.

Will there be any deck night lighting for night operations?

BTW, had a chance to hop on the Apollo recovery boat - you did a phenomenal job with that one, too. Thanks for doing those. Will get lots of use from them!

Best regards,

Daniel

Just playing around with Valley Forge in MCX. I removed the deck numbers from the model and painted these on.
    The one thing I'm not sure about is the color of the deck numbers being yellow. But from my search online for
    colored pics of her during Korea all of them show them as yellow.

Not sure if the numbers would have been lit up at night like modern carriers so I will not add them, but will be
    adding deck lighting for some night ops.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    The one thing I'm not sure about is the color of the deck numbers being yellow. But from my search online for
    colored pics of her during Korea all of them show them as yellow.

Not sure if the numbers would have been lit up at night like modern carriers so I will not add them, but will be
    adding deck lighting for some night ops.

Joe
    Hi Joe,

i think till late 1956 all deck numbers of the essex clas were in yellow. Numbers on bridge were in white. from 1957 this deck numbers were in white too (as i can see an all fotos i looked at.)
    Did not realy know if these decknumbers where lit up at night, but i think not.

greetings
    Klaus

Starting to add some night lighting.

Don't mind the light on the island. I need to figure out how to angle the spot lights and it was added to see if I could
    get the effect.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Members who have read this thread: 0