Iris a-10a

Thread: Iris a-10a

Iris a-10a

Have some mercy on this Navy guy who is flying his IRIS A-10A (FSX version) in P3Dv4 (and having a great time), except that I can't get the HUD to display. I have turned it on from it's left upper side panel - and increased the intensity. Am I doing something wrong - or is it the fact that I am NOT flying the P3Dv4 version? Everything else seems to work just fine.

Best regards to you all,

Bill

Have you tried starting with the default F-22 first, then switch to the A-10? Which A-10 version are you flying (non-Tacpack or Tacpack)? I was troubleshooting sounds and the FLIR gauge with Tacpack in v4.4 prior to giving up on the FLIR image, but my HUD and it's various modes work fine.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

It might be because you're flying the FSX version. There is no P3Dv4 version, but there was a P3Dv2/3 version with TacPack, if I'm not mistaken...
    You might want to check which kind of gauge is handling the HUD in the FSX version. If it's a DLL, then it won't work.
    The P3D version of the A-10 works very weill in P3Dv4, excepted the FLIR/Laser targeting screen, which is very sad.
    Even by today's standard, this A-10 still has quite an impressive graphic quality, it has great sounds, and the cockpit is a pure joy in VR ! I really wish IRIS had made a small patch/update to make the FLIR compatible with P3Dv4....

I'm flying the original release version (got it as a beta tester). What switch do you guys use to see the HUD appear? I haven't flown it since I tested it - and that was a long time ago. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    I'm flying the original release version (got it as a beta tester). What switch do you guys use to see the HUD appear? I haven't flown it since I tested it - and that was a long time ago. Bill
    The HUD does work in P3Dv4 ... there's a round dial-type switch on the little control set on the top left side of the panel that switches it on and off. In the real thing it's supposed to handle display intensity, but here it it's just on and off. You also have to turn the larger mode switch to one of the mode settings other than "OFF".

Dutch

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A-10HUD.jpg  

There's also a Quick Start switch under a red switch cover near the pilot's left elbow at the very back of the left hand console.

I have the FSX non-TP version, and my problem with the plane is that I could never get the Load Manager to work, not in FSX
    and not now in P3Dv4. It would only fly clean. It didn't help that the plane never came with a manual, but maybe the non-TP
    version didn't have a working Load Manager.

-Rob

Rob, mine is working fine. Did you look indeed under "vehicle" > "instrument panel"?

Best regards, Manfred.

Thanks for the reply Manschy, but no, whether I go through Vehicle->Instrument or Shift+1, the Load manager shows, but when I click
    on any of the white squares, nothing happens. This is both in FSX and P3Dv4. It doesn't seem to matter whether the plane is shut
    down or not.

-Rob

I was also a beta tester in the FSX model when TP was first introduced to this Hawg. There might be a few SOH threads on this and I do know of one following some of the port issues on Avsim. I was using that tread to try to resolve the FLIR image issues. For those just looking at this in P3D, the sound .dll will need to be directed to the 64bit version. The fuel.dll will need to be commented out, as it's a 32bit gauge. One has to manually remove the fuel out of the drop tanks in the Fuel/Payload section, unless you like 23,000lbs of go-juice. There are a few .fx files that did not get included in the Tacpack version installer, one has to get those from the non-TP version as the Iris forum post is long gone, as well as the hotfix, not sure if a support ticket will get any replies.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Very dumb on aircraft parametres, but if anybody can tell me which option is responsible for making the loadout manager work, I can have a look at mine. Maybe there are some differences and I can send you my instead...
    Best regards, Manfred.

Thanks for the offer Manfred, but I don't know if it's worth pursuing. It's not a plane that I would fly that much, even with a working
    Load Manager, and e-mailing gauges might violate the EULA. I got the plane some years back for really cheap during a sale at
    the Flightsim store, now closed, so there's no possibility of re-downloading now.

It's just a puzzle, that's all, particularly now that I know it's something on my machine.

Just to compare notes, in case anything odd immediately stands out:

I assume that there's no special settings required for the Load Manager to work (unlike Razbam planes, where the engines must be
    shut down and the parking brakes on for their load managers to work).

The build version in the Ver document in the Iris Warthog Driver folder is V2.1-140305-1124

In the Panel.cfg, the load manager gauge under [Window00] A10-A Stores Management System is listed as gauge00=A10-TP!A10-SMS
    And the A10-TP cab folder containing the A10-SMS xml file is present in the Panel folder.

The other item that's related to stores that I can see is in the Texture._Common folder. Besides the paint.net images of the missiles and
    bombs, there's also a Windows Batch File named "32_dxt1". It flashes briefly in the upper right hand corner when I first load the plane.
    I don't know if that might have anything to do with the problem.

I may mess around a bit to see if something turns up. It might be something so simple I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks again - Rob

RobM, I have the same build number in my working version. Correct, the jet can be loaded with engines running, as I have been testing a few things and loading the stock (Iris) F-22 running, then switching to the Hawg. For Wings of Gold, I found a few HUD.xml files in the panel folder, I wonder if you are missing something.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Just a follow up: problem of the non-working Load manager solved, and as usual, just me being simple-minded.

I got the non-TP version back when, but in the interim I also got TP. For the non-TP Load Manager to work, TP must be off, whether in
    FSX or P3Dv4.

Too bad there isn't a TP upgrade that could be purchased for a few dollars. Oh well, maybe the plane will come on sale for really cheap
    again. It still looks very good in P3Dv4.

-Rob

Still stuck with my issues

In spite of all the good advise given here, I still can not turn on my HUD (does not respond). My version appears to be too old. I have sent IRIS a message asking where I can download any updates, but in spite a return response promising a ticket etc. within a couple of days - I have heard nothing further from them. I suspect there is no actually at the other end any longer.

Bill

Load Manager

I also can not get the Load Manager to appear either. (sad face).

Bill

The TacPack version of this is available to buy at FS PilotShop, so I bought it and installed it into my P3Dv4.5.

It runs. The loadout manager works fine and the HUD also works, but it is very faint in the VC. Hitting "A" displays as shown. That's the brightest I can get it.

Dave

There are some mods that have to be made to the panel:

[Vcockpit02]:

Delete the declaration for gauge00 and renumber gauge01 to gauge06 to become gauge02 to gauge07.
    Add the following where the above line was:
    gauge00 = dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64!Sound, 2,2,2,2, .\SimObjects\Airplanes\IRIS Warthog Driver\panel\A10-AUDIO\A10_sound.ini
    gauge01 = dsd_p3d_xml_sound_x64!Debugger, 420,550,600,80

Save and close.

Open the A10_sound.ini pointed at above.
    Immediately after MaxSounds=100 (right at the start), add:

GlobalCommands=DSDGlobals
    VolumeVarIn=dsd_xml_sound_volume_in
    PanVarIn=dsd_xml_sound_pan_in
    VolumeVarOut=dsd_xml_sound_volume_out
    PanVarOut=dsd_xml_sound_pan_out
    LoopOut=dsd_xml_sound_loop_out
    VolumePlayed=dsd_volume_played
    PanPlayed=dsd_pan_played
    LoopPlayed=dsd_loop_played

Save and close.

The HUD brightness control works in reverse, so you have to right-click on it to increase the brightness.

Dave

Dave, after following the instructions, it seems to leave two gauge07 lines. Where did I go wrong? I ended up deleting the gauge00 line and inserting your gauge00 line instead. I didn't insert your gauge01 line to keep from getting two gauge07 lines.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Quote Originally Posted by stovall View Post
    Dave, after following the instructions, it seems to leave two gauge07 lines. Where did I go wrong? I ended up deleting the gauge00 line and inserting your gauge00 line instead. I didn't insert your gauge01 line to keep from getting two gauge07 lines.
    I don't have that 'extra' gauge line at all -- but you could simply have renumbered your other gauge07 line to suit?

The version I installed is: V2.1-140305-1124

Dave

Members who have read this thread: 7