FSX Gone!

Thread: FSX Gone!

FSX Gone!

Too many gliches and odd behavior to put up with it any more so it's been uninstalled. I saved my freeware addon aircraft, the gauges folder and flights, ran CCleaner and now I'm defragging. I'll restart, run CCleaner one more time just to be sure then do a manual check of the registry to dump any breadcrumbs left behind.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

1-word-fix.....Steam.

I was sceptical too, and have first day editions of FSX and Acceleration that will never be used by me again. Added DX10 Fixer and the recommended Nvidia tweeks; and bobsyouruncle, I'm in business. Very few problems, and no starting over if there is one.

Sorry you have those problems. You contribute a lot to this forum and would be missed.

So it's all X-Plane now?
    I was wondering that, too.

1-word-fix.....Steam
    I'd agree - FSX-SE includes a lot of added stuff (remember that SP1 to get bridges?) and seems to give a better frame rate. I haven't found any incompatible addons either.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    So it's all X-Plane now?
    No, I should have finished my original post by saying that after all of that I would be doing a fresh install. I haven't flown XPlane since April I guess.

Current System Specs:

It's infectious. I awoke today and found my D Drive missing in Explorer. It contained FSXSE and P3D4 and XPlane. Tried everything, restores repairs. Finally had to accept the drive was dead. No fun for me for a while then.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    It's infectious. I awoke today and found my D Drive missing in Explorer. It contained FSXSE and P3D4 and XPlane. Tried everything, restores repairs. Finally had to accept the drive was dead. No fun for me for a while then.
    Ouch, and you have a nice rig too. Any chance a computer geek might be able to "wake up" that drive long enough to salvage information? Don't know if that's possible really, but sorry to hear that.

Current System Specs:

Naismith - very sorry to hear your loss(es) + do hope you might get the drive restored. What we all live in fear of . .

Falcon - interesting, for me the answer to the glitches, odd behavior, not to mention too frequent CTD's and OOM's was P3D 64 bit. Haven't touched FSX in over two years. P3Dv4.5 with ActiveSky, FTX Global and Tomato Shade (and now with PBR coming in) is terrific. Not really been tempted by X Plane as have read there are some limitations.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    . . . . .Falcon - interesting, for me the answer to the glitches, odd behavior, not to mention too frequent CTD's and OOM's was P3D 64 bit. Haven't touched FSX in over two years. P3Dv4.5 with ActiveSky, FTX Global and Tomato Shade (and now with PBR coming in) is terrific. Not really been tempted by X Plane as have read there are some limitations.
    I hear ya expat. . .I guess I've been lucky that the OOM problems were never an issue with FSX. . .for me at least. Other odd behavior and what I suspect were problem gauges that over time just became unusable. The fresh install, for the time being anyway, has calmed things down significantly.

In the case of P3D_V4+, I haven't started it up since before Christmas, about the time I went to XP-11. I was really impressed with the Sim and the realism and detail. My enthusiasm for it waned considerably though when I found that whatever you knew about FSX and P3D as far as setting things up to your liking. . .is nothing like XP-11. . .also, for me, I was excited to be able to move my sceneries over to the new sim. . .nope. Scenery is handle completely differently and nothing that was done for FSX is even remotely compatible (that includes aircraft). Their method for building scenery is laborious, and that's only my opinion because I am so deeply seeded in the way I've done it for years and I'm not interested in learning another system at this point. So I haven't been back to XP since April I think.

Current System Specs:

I use flash drives and lots

After my other laptop HD with everything I was currently working on crashed the night before I could do a backup I was out of room on my flashdrives, I bought a new hard drive and installed it. In the meantime, on laptop number 2 which is this one I did a fresh install of FSX though that is six months ago now, and I continually backup downloads and work onto a 128GB flash drive which still has lots of room as well as the bag of stuff going back 3 years that I downloaded or work like scenery I had done. It has saved me numerous times. I hear external Terrabytes are great but if it crashes you have lost all your work. Cloud servers?? I don't know enough to trust them. That's my 2 cents or tuppence depending where you are reading this. Zwei pfennig LOL. I love to have my flash drives which I have catalog sheets of what is on each one. I have gone back to them more than once for downloads that were no longer there epecially on Flightsim where links in posts don't work anymore. NOW THAT'S FRUSTRATING!!! I've gone on long enough it's not my post. Glad you're still in the game, Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I hear ya expat. . .I guess I've been lucky that the OOM problems were never an issue with FSX. . .for me at least. Other odd behavior and what I suspect were problem gauges that over time just became unusable. The fresh install, for the time being anyway, has calmed things down significantly.

In the case of P3D_V4+, I haven't started it up since before Christmas, about the time I went to XP-11. I was really impressed with the Sim and the realism and detail. My enthusiasm for it waned considerably though when I found that whatever you knew about FSX and P3D as far as setting things up to your liking. . .is nothing like XP-11. . .also, for me, I was excited to be able to move my sceneries over to the new sim. . .nope. Scenery is handle completely differently and nothing that was done for FSX is even remotely compatible (that includes aircraft). Their method for building scenery is laborious, and that's only my opinion because I am so deeply seeded in the way I've done it for years and I'm not interested in learning another system at this point. So I haven't been back to XP since April I think.
    Hello Falcon. Since you are doing this, maybe you could answer a few questions for me. I to have had a couple of goofy things start happening on my FSX Accel install. If I've been running a while and I minimize the sim with the windows button, I have to open task manager to get FSX to pop back up because when I click the FSX icon on the task bar, my start icon disappears and then the sim stays minimized. The other thing is an errant smokestack effect coming from a few planes. (This happened after I installed 3D lights and have since uninstalled which made it better, but not 100%) Would I be able to save my main folder on a flash drive, reinstall the sim and then overwrite with the saved folder? I would assume the reinstall would fix a busted pathway, but would overwriting the old folder bring it back? My aircraft folder has over 1100 items and I don't want to reinstall and remodify them all! (Alternatively, would a simple defrag of my hard drive help?)

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    Too many gliches and odd behavior to put up with it any more so it's been uninstalled. I saved my freeware addon aircraft, the gauges folder and flights, ran CCleaner and now I'm defragging. I'll restart, run CCleaner one more time just to be sure then do a manual check of the registry to dump any breadcrumbs left behind.
    Falcon, you're not running SSDs are you? In which case defragging them is sure way to render them dead in a very short time.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    Falcon, you're not running SSDs are you? In which case defragging them is sure way to render them dead in a very short time.
    I wonder what the difference is between Trimming and Defragging with SSD's. Is it just semantics?
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    I wonder what the difference is between Trimming and Defragging with SSD's. Is it just semantics?
    Defragging physically moves the data on the platter so that large files are in one continuous (contiguous) area instead of parts here and there. TRIM is a whole different thing. For HDD's, when a file is deleted it is "marked" as deleted and that's all. The OS can overwrite those files at any time.

SSD's on the other hand handle deleted files differently. When the OS marks X file as deleted, it gets marked, but when the SSD wants to write on that area where X file used to be, it needs to read, mark, write, delete and free up space. This causes latency issues. In FSX we call these moments - "Micro-Stutters/ glitches/ freezes, etc)
    TRIM forces the whole SSD to go through this process at once so that the SSD controller can do the job of reading/writing without having to deal with remarking the parts that need to be deleted and cleared before writing over old data.

Speed and efficiency are the result - and a longer lifetime for the SSD. One could argue it reduces the potential for file corruption too.

Defragging an SSD is not only unnecessary - due to the way an SSD has nothing physical to move to the Read/ Write position on the platter - and as a result needlessly puts the SSD through countless cycles of Read/ Write - but hastens it's journey towards it's end of lifespan.

Summary:
    Defrag an HDD - to keep all the connected files on the same physical location of the surface of the platter and improve lifespan.
    TRIM an SSD to minimise the Read/ Write counts and improve speed and efficiency and improve lifespan.

Or; just go to the half-way house which is; Fraggle Rock; where there are lovely Jim Henson creatures who chill out all day long and have no idea what we're talking about - and don't care anyway.

Don't worry about any of it and just sing along!
    Last edited by Ganter; July 18th, 2019 at 13:36.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Members who have read this thread: 0