Is there a way...

Thread: Is there a way...

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon5 Is there a way...

... to disable the landing signal officer graphic?

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Hi MR,

It's been so long (years) since I've done that...I was looking in my main CFS2 folder of one of my installs to try and find something...seemed to remember there was an entry for the LSO that had to be changed to "false", just like the green "tracking cone", but was unable to locate anything, sorry I couldn't help.

TW
    Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap!

Icon22

Thanks, TW.

Yes, I seem to remember the same sort of thing from way back in the dim dusty past.

I'll start looking through my archives.

Cheers,
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

It's a gauge located in the gauges folder - Lso.gau. Find and rename it for backup, like Lso.gau.bak. That should prevent it from appearing universally.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    It's a gauge located in the gauges folder - Lso.gau. Find and rename it for backup, like Lso.gau.bak. That should prevent it from appearing universally.

Nice shot Bearca241!
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Quote Originally Posted by bearcat241 View Post
    Thanks Bearcat. That did the trick.

That LSO kept popping up not only when I got withun the approach "cone" of a carrier but also whenever I got withing the approach cone of one of Usio's ships. It got a little pesky.

WRT Usio's ships triggering the LSO, I think I may have cured it by using Usio's "target-only" dps, but, still for some reason his ship icons still show as carriers in the MB layout window.

No worries. The LSO is gone. Thats a definite improvement IMHO.

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

That brings up an interesting question. That is, what causes the gauge to activate and the LSO pops up?

I believe it is the proximity of the player aircraft on approach to the carrier because the gauge doesn't show in any panels or air file. In some Navy A/C cfg files there is an LSO entry for a landing speed adjustment, but not in all carrier aircraft. For example, the Wildcat cfg does not have an LSO section.

Just to check the hypothesis, I took a P-40 and set up a landing approach to the Essex and Bingo, the LSO popped up to guide me in, then waved me off after I was close enough for him to determine I had no tail hook.

Just for fun I tried it again in a C-47 with the same result.

So it seems there isn't any way to selectively disable the LSO for individual planes. It's all or nothing.

Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Don't know if this adds any useful information to the investigation, but even with lso.gau renamed, when pausing, a momentary black rectangle shows where the LSO used to show.

Also, I noticed in your screenshot Capt Kurt, that your LSO shows bottom center. Mine always shows top left quadrant. Is it something one can drag around the screen and then it will remain wherever you last dragged it to?

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; July 15th, 2019 at 17:45.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kurt View Post
    the gauge doesn't show in any panels
    Did a little more digging around.

In the main CFS2 folder there is a file named "default_panels.cfg" The last section in the cfg file reads:

[Window00]
    window_pos=0.03,0.03
    window_size=0.16,0.21
    size_mm=66,66
    nomenu=1
    sizeable=1
    visible=1
    type=SPECIAL
    ident=LSO_WINDOW

gauge00=lso!lso,0,0
    All of the other sections in the cfg file are HUD related.

I am wondering if removing this entry from the default_panels.cfg file will also get rid of the LSO and also get rid of the little momentary black square that still shows on a pause click.

I'll give it a shot. I'll rename the gauge back to its original name, backup the default_panels.cfg file, delete the LSO_WINDOW entry from the default_panels.cfg file and see what happens.

MR
    Last edited by MaskRider; July 15th, 2019 at 22:34.

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Yep, that does it.

No more LSO window and no more momentary black rectangle showing up because the lso window is still being called up.

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Thanks MR and Kurt,
    Very useful information, and not just in the results. Hypothesis testing has opened up a wealth of improvements and options.

There is section in a lot of the aircraft.cfg files called [LSO] with LSOAdjustSpeed=xx below it which probably should be eliminated to be on the safe side.

Also if you want to try landing a non-carrier based aircraft on a carrier add the [TailHook] info to the aircraft.cfg

Usio ships as carriers

MR: Go to the Usio ship's .dp file And change the unit family from 7 to something else, corresponding to the type of ship and the category likewise. From then on the Usio ship will not show as a carrier in MB and no LSO will pop up. Also, I use Pen32Win's alternate ship dps for all of Usio's craft. This process is already done for you and they are not such "hard" targets and their flak is more survivable.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22

Voyager and Shadow Wolf 07, thanks for the tidbits!

Shadow Wolf, using the page in my Cody Coyote Mission Builder Guide that lists the Unit-families and categories I hand edited the dps of all relevant Usio ships.

Of course then I had to go into the task-group missions I had been playing with and re-enter the Usio ships whose dps I had edited because MB could no longer find Unit Family 7 models of for those ships. No biggie. Just took a few minutes and now the only ships with carrier icons in the MB layout window are carriers.

I downloaded the Pen32win files you mentioned and one of these days when I am feeling more up for it, I'll swap in the new dps and see whats what.

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Members who have read this thread: 1