I noticed that most if all the modern AI Carriers (CVA-59 and later) available do not have the forward "range light mast" forward of the island. The NIMITZ class was built with these, CVA-59 and others had one added post 1981.

This in no way is criticism of the fine work done by the modelers. However, these masts are historically significant.

After a horrific crash of a Marine EA-6B on NIMITZ in May of 1981, the accident and JAG reports recommended adding "crash lights" to these poles on the NIMITZ class. Crash lights are additional white floods in addition to the normal sodium-vapor, yellow-ish "SOX" lights, and are mounted around the upper island perimeter to illuminate the deck at night in event of fire. At the time, they did not extend far up into the bow area, and the smoke, water spray etc decreased visibility to nil around burning aircraft on the bow.

This was a horrific event, some 24 men died and a lot of hard lessons were learned.

All active Carriers were quickly modified to have what is now referred to as a "NIMITZ crash pole" with floodlights mounted on it in order to aid night crash visibility forward.

I was Air Boss on NIMITZ in the mid-80's. My Flight Deck Chief (E-7; ABHC) had been in V-5 Division (Crash and Salvage) as an E-5 (2nd Class Petty Officer - Aviation Boatswain's Mate - Handler - ABH2) and was part of the fire fighting team that night. I had several side conversations with him about it.

You can see on pictures of FORRESTAL and INDEPENDENCE, as examples, of before and after circa 1981 that this modification had been made.