Rob's Shorts 360 Is Having Alaskan Fun!!

Thread: Rob's Shorts 360 Is Having Alaskan Fun!!

Rob's Shorts 360 Is Having Alaskan Fun!!

Shalom and greetings all my pals,

Presenting a nice scenic approach to and landing on runway 10 of PAWG Wrangell Airport one nautical mile northeast of the central business district of Wrangell which is an Alaskan city that has no road access to the outside world therefore needs lots of cargo hauling supplies by air or water!!

Runway approach to PAWG can be fun navigating through mountains and hills!!

On final runway approach to runway 10

Look at how nice the town is while few seconds from touchdown

TOUCHDOWN

Braking down

Backtracking on runway 10 with background view of WEIRD building

Because of regulations of the forums not allowing more than 6 screenshot per post, please be kind enough to go to this hyperlink below to view rest of the exciting landing.

Here is the link: http://tonymadgehjg.proboards.com/th...ng-alaskan-fun

Thank you for viewing. Stay tuned for next exciting flight!!

Regards,

Aharon

Nice pics! Just curious, what scenery is that for the Wrangell airport? Is that default sim scenery?

It just doesn't look anything like Wrangell, is why I'm wondering. The ORBX rendition, conversely, is very good. That "weird building" is definitely not there in real life, and the airport is actually a lot less busy or built up than these pictures reflect. Interesting to see this sim rendition of the place.

Stearmandriver,

Thanks for kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by stearmandriver View Post
    Nice pics! Just curious, what scenery is that for the Wrangell airport? Is that default sim scenery?
    It is freeware scenery found on avsim using this info below:

Filename: wrangell_jbg_v1.zip
    License: Freeware
    Added: 18th February 2011, 10:57:52
    Downloads: 919
    Author: Joe garcia
    Size: 406kb

That "weird building" is definitely not there in real life.
    Darn I thought it was there in real life.

the airport is actually a lot less busy or built up than these pictures reflect. .
    Well Wrangell has no road access and all supplies must be flown in by planes or shipped by boats.

Regards,

Aharon

SOH-CM-2020
    Great set of pics Aharon.

Where can I download that livery please?

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    Great set of pics Aharon. Where can I download that livery please?
    Shalom Pete,

Thanks for your kind words. In order to download this terrific livery, I am afraid you would have to join the virtual airline at its website: https://www.flyaka.com/ as this livery belongs to that VA

Regards,

Aharon

That "weird building" is definitely not there in real life
    Actually the scenery has proven that it is correct about the weird building and building next to it in my screenshot. The only mistake it that the weird building was in wrong brown and grey color when it was supposed to be in all white color.

Check the video that shows proof that the scenery is correct:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XL6hkL06jc

Aharon, I think the idea that the video proves that the scenery is correct might be a bit of a stretch. The video shows a radar station out near the water (the radar dome). The scenery shows a domed building that is much closer and looks more like a 50's Avant Garde Restaurant. As a matter of fact I had to run the video back to the section where the aircraft is slowing down to even catch the radar building and realized that was what you were referring to.

The Radar Station is about 300yds from the runway and about a half mile from the parking ramp.
    Last edited by falcon409; July 27th, 2019 at 14:19. Reason: additional info
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post
    Actually the scenery has proven that it is correct about the weird building and building next to it in my screenshot. The only mistake it that the weird building was in wrong brown and grey color when it was supposed to be in all white color.

Check the video that shows proof that the scenery is correct:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XL6hkL06jc
    It's really not, honest. I fly in there pretty often. That video you posted was shot from one of our old -400s before they were retired.

The radar dome in the video is much smaller than even a Shorts, where in the FSX scenery it seems to loom over your plane. Also, the "weird building" looks to me to be up against the terrain on the SW side of the runway, whereas that radar antenna is near the water on the NE side of the runway. It is a very weird structure though. I wonder what the creator was modeling?

The Wrangell airport is really quite a sleepy place. There's usually only one other aircraft on the field when I'm there, a Bonanza that seems to live there and that we always have to be careful not to jet blast on the way out. The liveliest fella on the airport is the wildlife control guy who races around in a pickup shooting Roman candles and rockets at eagles and flocks of seagulls before we take off or land. I love Alaska..

Just a matter of interest I took myself off for a flight out of 'PAWG Wrangell Airport' as it appears in the default P3D4.5 scenery (or maybe the ORBX PNW or SA areas).
    It sure is quiet and very empty........excuse the crappy screenshot but it does illustrate the point.
    Almost decided to try the 'wrangell_jbg_v1.zip' until I noticed the varied opinions.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

And my take on the same - just out of curiosity (I think this is with FS Addon's Tongass Fiords):

and for comparison, from the net:

Obviously some extension work going on here. Looks like what could be the radome top left hand corner?

A.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wrangell.jpg   Wrangell_Airport_Aerial.jpg  

Stearmandriver,

I never knew that you are Alaska Airline 737-400 pilot!! Must be fun for you to fly around Alaska!!!! You are lucky man and I am still stuck in flightsimming

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Almost decided to try the 'wrangell_jbg_v1.zip' until I noticed the varied opinions.
    Hey Wombat666, there is nothing wrong with that freeware scenery add on. You got to admit it is PRETTY scenery!!!! Only if I can find someone to change the color of the dome building from grey and brown to all white as seen in the video.

Regards,

Aharon

Quote Originally Posted by Aharon View Post

Hey Wombat666, there is nothing wrong with that freeware scenery add on. You got to admit it is PRETTY scenery!!!! Only if I can find someone to change the color of the dome building from grey and brown to all white as seen in the video.

Regards,
    Aharon
    Actually, as freeware scenery goes it's not bad at all. A bit overzealous with the buildings, people and ground equipment but better than I expected. Now the "weird" building is actually placed where it should be in the scenery, over by the coastline. . .your screenshot is deceiving as it makes it appear that it's part of the parking ramp. . .or at least that area given the proximity to the airplane as it taxi's. It is the radar dome and is easily twice the size it should be. My other thought is that he used a water tower and sunk it into the ground to give the appearance of a domed building. Finally, as you can see in my screenshots that building shows the correct color so for some reason yours has picked up another texture. Nothing can be done to correct it since there are only 4 or 5 textures with the scenery package and those are only for the static aircraft, everything else is contained in the bgl's.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Aharon, this career has positives and negatives like anything else. Nothing wrong with simming, I still enjoy the heck out of it!

That scenery DOES look pretty, that's what caught my eye, it makes Wrangell look great lol. I was tempted to install it just to see what the weird building was, but I see Falcon's figured it out. Now it makes sense, it's the radar (albeit too big) with a random texture on it. It is in the right place too; I thought from the earlier screenshot it was over by the hill but nope, that's correct.

Falcon409 and Stearmandriver,

Thanks for confirming correct location of the dome and for letting me know that the color of the dome cannot be changed to white.

Maybe the software developer can remove it and put white radar dome on same spot?? I do NOT want to give up this PURE FUN freeware scenery!!

Regards,

Aharon

Members who have read this thread: 0