An early model Arado Ar 234A Blitz
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An early model Arado Ar 234A Blitz

An early model Arado Ar 234A Blitz

Hi Folks,
    At the other end of the war-time scale is this Arado Ar 234A. The B model wheeled Blitz has been done to death, BUT not the A skidded version. I've taken the wheeled B model, getting it into Fs9 and am converting it into an A skidded model. It will have quite a few animations, including RATO's which will be dropable and deployable retarding landing parachute and others.

I didn't realise when I started, that the cockpit of the early A model is quite different to the B model..so DOH! given myself even more to do (see pic below).

At the end we will have the A model and then a whole load of B models and Luft46 version.

Early shots...

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ar 234 A  1.jpg  

Members +
    Wow, yet another great plane on the way.

Many thanks,

Regards
    Robin

SOH-CM-2024
    Thanks, Shessi, for all the new additions!

Out of curiosity- is this aircraft, and the 109s in the other thread, a result of your being able to convert (albeit laboriously) aircraft from Il-2 1946?

I was also wondering... do the 'Luft '46' versions of the Arado that you spoke of refer to, perhaps, a Ar-234C? Or perhaps, one of the swept-wing studies?

Thanks again! -Mike Z.

Hi Mike,
    Yes it is, and the very skilled and generous people at IL-2 SAS.

There is the C2 four engined Ar234 which I'll do at some time. Once I have the 234A/B sorted for Fs9 ie all animated and tweaked to look good in our sims, we have the Ar234 ac platform for any of the developments and Luft46 projects etc.

Just a matter of time, and sanity levels..lol.

Cheers

Shessi

when i first found this post i couldn't tell what he was saying about making one but that's awesome that hes making one as ive been waiting years for that one!!

I had missed this announcement. Not bad for an aircraft with two engines and without propellers

Cheers,
    Huub

So far...beautiful looking ac and model. The LW certainly knew their aerodynamics and jets.

A few pics, still so way to go, VC and cockpit to do mainly. The pic with the airfield is actually Juvincourt in France, one of the main op bases for the Ar234. The base was modelled for CFS2 but I'm going to bring it into Fs9 for the Arado ops.

Cheers

Shessi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ar234V7 1.jpg  

Fantastic rendering !! Another great realisation looking forward to

Cheers
    L'iguane

That’s looks absolutely brilliant shessi! Eagerly awaiting this one. Will it have a custom sound?

Looks like fun! Can't wait to land it on skids having only landed the Arado on wheels in FS.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it took off on a detachable dolly right? If so Shessi will yours have that feature?

Joel

Members +
    Shessi, I'm sure that I speak for many FS2004 users....

Thanks so much for remembering us, & still keep on developing unusual aircraft for FS2004.
    We really appreciate what you are doing for our hobby.

Regards,
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa.

anels9

That’s looks absolutely brilliant shessi! Eagerly awaiting this one. Will it have a custom sound?

Hi A, Funny you should say that, but manage to rip the riedel two stroke starter motor sound from IL-2, so I'm hoping to incorporate that with the jet sounds, other than that, it's just another early jet.....

HorusJ

Looks like fun! Can't wait to land it on skids having only landed the Arado on wheels in FS.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but it took off on a detachable dolly right? If so Shessi will yours have that feature?

J, I had the same thoughts as you. I have been playing around with options and animations to try to work out a dolly-launch and skid-land system, but poor old Fs9 can't do that, due to limited options on contact points. So it's either an mdl with a releasable dolly, but landing on a skid some 10ft above the runway surafce (looks rediculous) OR no dolly but taking off and landing on the the skid on the runway surface. Although T/O on the skid is unrealistic (but doesn't look bad), it acts and looks more realistic when landing...so that's the way I shall go. BUT I may also do a dolly mounted version as it looks good.

Z, as always, appreciate the thoughts, thanks. Although I have FSX (not P3D), and with the Accusim stuff it's amazing, Fs9 still looks very good, fun and easy to mod...and I can easily get these items into CFS2.

Cheers

Shessi

Blog Entries
    I have been playing around with options and animations to try to work out a dolly-launch and skid-land system, but poor old Fs9 can't do that, due to limited options on contact points. So it's either an mdl with a releasable dolly, but landing on a skid some 10ft above the runway surafce (looks rediculous) OR no dolly but taking off and landing on the the skid on the runway surface. Although T/O on the skid is unrealistic (but doesn't look bad), it acts and looks more realistic when landing...so that's the way I shall go. BUT I may also do a dolly mounted version as it looks good.
    Shessi, with the two versions you speak of, would it be possible to take off with the dolly version, jettison the dolly, then change to the skid only version at some point during the flight?

H91,
    Now there's a though!

Yes, of course you could, a different way of doing things, but perfectly doable....that's given me even more to do...dohhhh!

Cheers

Shessi

I just saw the Arado 234 at the National Air and Space Museum. You just don't realize how small it was until you see it in person. Especially since the monster DO-335 was parked next to it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3241.jpg  
    FAA A&P, FE (TURBOJET),AMEL COMM INST DC-8 & B767/757 TYPE RATEINGS
    FCC GROL

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    ...that's given me even more to do...dohhhh!
    I'm sure a "no dolly A version" would be well appreciated by all.
    I have some references on the 234, let me know if you need
    anything, and I'll see if I can find it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by johndetrick View Post
    I just saw the Arado 234 at the National Air and Space Museum. You just don't realize how small it was until you see it in person. Especially since the monster DO-335 was parked next to it.
    Nice photo, thanks for posting.

Shessi.A no dolly version I would be very happy with.It would look kinda silly flying around with the dolly still attached.

J

Check out the FS2004/FSX Junkers EF-126 Lili by A.F. Scrub. It uses a dolly and skids. The dolly will vanish hitting the spoiler key. So it can be done.

Icon5

J,
    Thanks, you lucky so and so...!! I will make that pilgrimage from the UK one day, and will immerse myself in the Smithsonian and the Udvar Hazy for days and days lol.

HJ,
    Well...the Ar234V1 was actually flown quite a few times with the dolly/trolley attached, and there were a few times with the other early V ac that the trolley accidentally stayed attached (see pic).

MC,
    Scrubby was cheating! He keeps the scrape points for the skids, allowing the ac to sit on them and just has the trolley at the right height underneath (see pic). This could be made to work but as the Ar234 sits much higher off the ground it would look stupid with an unrealistically low trolley or very long and unrealistic skid extensions.

Shessi

Skids and dollies have been done on Me 263 Komets for FS before. Let me dig in my backups to see what I can find.
    Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right.

Quote Originally Posted by Shessi View Post
    J,

HJ,
    Well...the Ar234V1 was actually flown quite a few times with the dolly/trolley attached, and there were a few times with the other early V ac that the trolley accidentally stayed attached (see pic).

Shessi
    Wow! I wasn't aware of that!
    What ever you decide has my support.

J

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Willy View Post
    Skids and dollies have been done on Me 263 Komets for FS before.
    You may be on to something there Willy. I checked Warwick Carters Me-163 cfg file, and the contact section
    has integers defining wheels, scrapes, and a skid. In the vertical position from the datum line, the left and
    right dolly wheels are at -4.4, and the single skid entry is at -3.603333 on the center line.

The Arado's skids are much higher that the dolly's wheels compared to the 163, but it might work.

Icon5

H,
    Yes, I wracked my brains and had the same thought of ac, I've just a had a look at that, and yes it looks good. But I'm 99.9% certain it will not work with the Ar234, as the height difference between the skids (contact points) when on the trolley and when landing on the skid is too great and will cause a bad contact point 'crash' every time.

I'll take a look but don't hold your breath....

Cheers

Shessi

Members who have read this thread: 0