USS Saratoga, CV-3 1930s

Thread: USS Saratoga, CV-3 1930s

USS Saratoga, CV-3 1930s

I sent a PM to one of the really good designers here asking if they might create a CV-3 in the quality of their other freeware carriers. I haven't had any reply so he probably won't consider it. Last night I was made aware of Iro Usio's library of ships in our CFS2 Warbird Library that RAMI spent so much time cataloging and uploadind for the Usio Legacy. I downloaded a Saratoga, Lexington and a couple flush deck DD's last night.

I wrote a PM to RAMI who said that it was ok to convert this to FSX and share it here in our FSX Warbird Ship library. With the meager skills I learned converting the VN_PRESARA that is in my thread about the F8C's I went about it today and just finished testing it. It works great in AI Carriers and also with the platform I added for a "hard deck" in MDCx as part of the conversion to FSX mdl you can land and make an arrested landing with Rob Barendregt's RCBCO-30 gauge installed in your aircraft's panel. If there were landing zones in the CFS2 carrier, they disappeared when I converted it. You have to have the RCBCO-30 gauge to land in FSX. I have landed both the F8C-4 and also the F4B-4 by Paul Clawson which will be one of my future repainting projects after the Vought O2U-2 Corsairs beginning probably either Friday or Monday next. Here are a couple screenshots of the F4B-4 on deck. You can see the plane guard DD off the port quarter below. I don't particularly care for the bright lemon yellow deck marking but it is in the model so it can't be changed to chrome yellow like it should be. Wish he would have put in the textures like Virtual Navy did. I DO like the deck pendants and the mahogany deck planks Mr. Usio did create in the model. I am told that Stuart277 made Saratoga and Lexington models for CFS2 so I hunted them down but they are of the carriers from 1942 and 1944 with camouflage hull and superstructures and blue flight decks. Beautiful models I saw but I didn't download them because of the time period.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_190710_151505.jpg   image_190710_151516.jpg  

How did you add the platform in MCX? I have the Usio Sara converted but did not try to add the platforms to it.
    I did add wires and smoke, bow and wake effects to the model, but you can not land on it. Could you send me
    just the converted mdl file, and I will add all the above and test if it works then send it back if it does. You can
    pm me here and I'll give you my email addy. Thanks

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

CV3 Off Mexico 1931

I opened up FSX and put the F8C at North island on the runway and then opened up Carrier Convoy Planner to try and setup a flight. I won't go into all the particulars on how to do that cause either you use it successfully and know exactly what I did or it would waste time and space if you don't. Here are the photos to show how cool it is when it works properly. I started at 1725Z in FSX and setup CCP at 1740Z. The first shot is with the aircraft in position 1 on deck and the second shot is 1740Z as Sara gets underway to launch aircraft with turns for 30 knots called from the engine room.

you can see the bow wave as she gets underway right on time. Really cool!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image_190710_215823.jpg   image_190710_221535.jpg  

Very nice work!

Just proves that persistence pays off -

Join FS

I used to fly with CCP and Join FS in a multiplayer mode which was really cool. The other players did not have to have CCP but I functioned as a host even though it was in single player mode. Once the other pilots were in Join FS and we had links to each other through there, all they had to do was "follow" me and they would end up on the flight deck. behind me. Had to be sure to be far enough forward and centered so they did not end up "in the drink" off the stern or over the side. It even links FSX and P3DV4 but the altitude for P3DV4 had to be tweaked a little sometimes in the Map mode because the aircraft would either be a little high or a little buried in the flight deck. Just be sure that crash detection is off. I miss those flights they were fun. We comm'd through Teamspeak3.

Here is my converted model into p3dv4.5. I was getting all kinds of errors trying to export to FSX.mdl.
    I don't have any 1930's era Navy birds installed so just used my trusty Corsair and did 3 traps with her
    no problem. 1st one is flyby with Sara at full steam heading into the wind. 2nd one is right after 3rd trap

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Full steam into the wind.jpg   Corsair Trap on Saratoga.jpg  
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD

Way Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Here is my converted model into p3dv4.5. I was getting all kinds of errors trying to export to FSX.mdl.
    I don't have any 1930's era Navy birds installed so just used my trusty Corsair and did 3 traps with her
    no problem. 1st one is flyby with Sara at full steam heading into the wind. 2nd one is right after 3rd trap

Joe
    Are you using CCP or AICarriers to place her?

Using AiCarriers in p3d, don't have Tacpac or CCP installed for that sim.

Joe

Members who have read this thread: 1