A big step forward for soaring in XP11

Thread: A big step forward for soaring in XP11

Blog Entries
    Many thanks for the Heads up, the more gliders the better!

Ian

Well it's not a 'new glider' - just the default K21 with instruments that work correctly and a tuned polar curve - Ian Forster -Lewis who contributed much to the development of 'realistic soaring' in FSX is behind it - he's know concentrating his talents on X-plane - but still a long way to go to make soaring 'realistic' in X-plane. The number and quality of XP11 sailplanes is disappointing. I'll still be using FSX and Condor 2 for a while I think. When I see the ability to simulate mountain wave properly in a sim - is the day that I know these computer wizz kids have really cracked it.

I'm still in "discovery-mode" for XP11 that I started using not so long ago.
    After reading this topic and a few others, I understand the problem with the original glider instruments and what improvement is brought by this addon.
    However, could anybody give me a clear picture of the current situation with thermals simulation nowadays in XP11 ?

For example, I know the situation of P3D very well: default thermals are dumb with no ridge lift. Addons like CumulusX or ActiveSky bring better ridge lift.
    What is the situation in XP11 ?

Quote Originally Posted by guzzi View Post
    When I see the ability to simulate mountain wave properly in a sim - is the day that I know these computer wizz kids have really cracked it.
    FlightGear has lee waves since 2010.
    https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9566

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    For example, I know the situation of P3D very well: default thermals are dumb with no ridge lift. Addons like CumulusX or ActiveSky bring better ridge lift.
    What is the situation in XP11 ?
    Very basic thermals; nowhere near Cumulus X.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    FlightGear has lee waves since 2010. https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9566

Very basic thermals; nowhere near Cumulus X.
    'When I see the ability to simulate mountain wave properly in a sim' - Condor 2 also has lee waves but not really modeled correctly -looking at the link it also looks as though Flightgear lee wave may have its limitations - FS2004 had a form of 'lee wave' as well - really adapted thermals -a French guy did it for around the Sisteron area in southern France. Modelling the atmosphere is a complex thing.

X-Plane has very basic unmarked 'blue' thermals not related to cumulus or ground trigger points i.e. random placed - there ridge lift also has a fairly arbitrary cut off point of 1000ft above the ridge height, and I suspect is not really modeled as well as it could be - people are working on improving this, those in the know think X-plane is potentially a superior platform to P3D or FSX for soaring - I'm not that technically minded so wouldn't really know- at the moment Condor 2 and FSX with additions is for me the best for soaring on a computer. I guess that most gliding clubs and organisations are using Condor 2 in R/L training tells you something. The limit with Condor 2 being the poor graphics, although I find all the add-on photoscenery packages have helped.

Members who have read this thread: 0