This:Silly season in Formula One got well and truly underway this week after a bombshell report stated that Ferrari were putting plans in place should Sebastian Vettel retire at the end of the season.
The four-time world champion has become increasingly frustrated with the sport after being stripped of his maiden victory of the season in Canada in the most controversial of fashions.
He has since repeatedly said he will not retire but also claimed his contract, which expires at the end of 2020, is “just a piece of paper”.
If it is not retirement, there have also been reports that he could be set for a dramatic return to Red Bull, the team who brought him his four titles between 2010 and 2013, after he was spotted spending lots of time in their hospitality complex at recent grands prix.
If Vettel were to leave, it would mean arguably the most sought-after seat in world motorsport would become available.

And a recent report from Auto Auction suggested that Ferrari’s two targets to fill it were Daniel Ricciardo and Valtteri Bottas.“The bottom line is that Mercedes is very likely to retain Bottas, and Vettel is unlikely to retire at the end of this season,” Auto Auction reported.
“But Ferrari has initiated moves to make sure it is not suddenly left without two top drivers in 2020, and Ricciardo and Bottas are at the top of the wish list for the Prancing Horse team.”
Ricciardo is contracted to Renault until 2020 at the earliest but is believed to have a ‘get-out clause’ should Mercedes or Ferrari come calling.
This was seemingly legitimised by Red Bull boss Christian Horner who, when referring to Max Verstappen’s clauses, said they exist in most drivers’ contracts up and down pit lane.
“The contract between the driver and team will always stay confidential but it’s safe to say that every driver in this pit lane has got clauses in their contract,” Horner said.
But the prospect of Ricciardo jumping ship to Ferrari to form one of the most exciting teams on the grid with Charles Leclerc has been dampened by the Monegasque, who said he doesn’t see his current teammate retiring early.

“The bottom line is that Mercedes is very likely to retain Bottas, and Vettel is unlikely to retire at the end of this season,” Auto Auction reported.

“I don’t see him (Vettel) quitting. I can’t speak for him, but he looks more motivated than ever and he works hard to do his best for the team,” Leclerc told German publication, Bild.
“It’s nice to see how he works. I think he’s good dealing with the pressure because there is always pressure after you have won so many titles. Even if I beat him, that is no reason for him to stop.”
Ferrari recently quashed the idea of changing their line-up for next season when asked if Verstappen would interest them for next season, should he become available.
“No, certainly not,” Binotto told Sky Sports. “I can only confirm what Seb (Vettel) said. We have got two drivers, we have got contracts in place, we are very happy.
“Next season our line-up is fixed and there are no reasons why we should change. Things are going well in that respect.”