Time for a new Computer

Thread: Time for a new Computer

Time for a new Computer

Well it's not looking good for my current computer. I bought this desktop pc back in 2009, so it's about to be 10 yrs old. It's an HP Pavilion Elite with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, 2.50 GHz, 8GB RAM, 64-bit OS. Win 7.
    CPU now runs wide open 100%, when I start up my browser, though it returns to normal in a few seconds as everything opens. Still the core temps on all 4 cores avg between 45 -55 degrees C at idle. Opening CFS2 is a no go. CPU load goes to 100% and core temps run up to 98C and don't return to normal even when I shut down CFS2. I have to reboot my computer to get the CPU to slow down. Hate to see this cause I really don't want to give up my Win 7 system, but it looks like the only thing to do. No point in sinking any more money in a 10 year old machine. So, I'm looking for any input those of you with win 10 boxes can offer. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Assuming Win 7 runs CFS2 well for you, I would suggest building a custom comp and install Win 7 (since you can't buy one with it installed anymore), i3 or i5 processor, 8-16 GB Ram and a good video card. You can often get the parts cheaper than a new comp from places like TigerDirect and Newwegg. If you plan on also running CFS3 or IL2 I would suggest minimum i5 processor and 16 GB ram.

Worthless

Just in case it's the Game Explorer hogging resources, go here

http://ubeogesh-things.blogspot.com/...lorer-aka.html

download the bat file. Run it & it will rename your gameux.dll file so it doesn't phone home anymore...

At least it might buy you some more time

Library Staff
    Have you tried reinstalling Windows 7? It's possible rundll32.exe is corrupted. After shutting down CFS2, go into Task Manager/Performance and click on Resource Monitor. This will show you which files are making the computer run flat out. If rundll32.exe tops the list, right click on it and click on end process. Hopefully the computer will quieten down dramatically. This may isolate the problem.

Kevin

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Don't reinstall Win 7 yet. Do as UncleTgt says and it sounds like this is your problem. I had the same issue a this fixed it. Regards,Scott

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Don't reinstall Win 7 yet. Do as UncleTgt says and it sounds like this is your problem. I had the same issue a this fixed it. Regards,Scott
    Indeed. Support for Windows 7 ends at the end of this year. Install Windows 10!

Priller

Question

Hold yer horses W!,

Yes, the cause of CFS2 making your CPU run to 100% may well be the games contents search dll, and that can be reduced by removing/renaming the ofending dll.

BUT the cause of the overheating is almost certainly due to old and caked heat sink paste on the CPU to MB interface. As this is a 10 year old machine that paste has been baked to a hard cake-like nothing, so it now acts as an insulator rather than a heat conduit to the heat sink (mass producers such as HP and Dell don't use best brands of heat sink paste). If you don't know how to (it's pretty easy, see Youtube for how-to vids), get a pc shop/man to remove the CPU/heatsink, clean and replace the paste (I always use Artic Silver 5, which is one of the best). Cost is low, and hopefully that will be an easy and cheap fix (along with the dll removal).

The only caveat is, I just hope you haven't damaged the CPU with the constant over heating......fingers crossed....

Cheers

Shessi

I'm using a Gateway FX6840 and Acer Laptop all from 2010 with no probs. You got some sort of bug and need to do some hunting. Process Explorer is my go to option. It is like Task Manager but on steroids

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sys...ocess-explorer
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Thanks!

I appreciate all the input. Will give all suggestions a try. Many thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0