Bob/Bof lighter terrain texture mod

Thread: Bob/Bof lighter terrain texture mod

Bob/Bof terrain texture mod

A terrain texture mod that uses Sander de Cocq's euro mod as its base. Images were sourced from Google earth. Terrain texture placements are dependant on the original mod.

"512x512"(nicer) and "256x256" versions are available as well as the original textures as backup. A lighter version will follow later.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vohbmla3g70pt7d/BOFBOB_TERRAIN_TEX_MOD.7z/file

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bandicam-2019-06-30-04-54-58-727.jpg   bandicam-2019-06-30-05-15-48-241.jpg  

R,
    Many thanks for all the hard work doing, re-doing and re-re-doing...ha ha!

Will try them out and let you know.

Shessi

R,
    Just had a thrash around with both size sets and have to say on my pc the 512 texs are much nicer (as you say) and no FR hit. Is the missing out 018b2su6.bmp and 018b2su7.bmp deliberate or?

I look forward to the lightened set, as I think (for me) they could be 'the ones' .

Thanks

Shessi

The omission of those two textures was deliberate.That particular set and one other set I included at the last minute. It's the reason why I didn't include the lighter terrain in the upload. I'm glad you checked the framerates, will just include the lighter 512 set in the next upload which should be very soon.

Ok thanks.

And folks, come on, if you've tried them, then give feed back...if not then get yer fingers out give them a bl**dy try!!

And let the man know, after all he is trying to improve a major part of the our sim.

Cheers

Shessi

Hi Rince33, I'll be interested to see how these blend with Bismarck13's WWI ground textures, particularly in Flanders. I'm keen to try your terrain textures. Thanks for all your work.

I'll preface my feedback by stating I prefer the lighter, more subdued ground textures.

IMHO its the only way to model the lightening effect of looking at large areas with a single predominant colour or shade - as you get further away, everything tends to a mid-blue grey colour (atmospheric haze, airborne moisture etc). I approach aircraft & ship camo in the same way - no white is really true white, & black is a very dark grey.

These texture sets are well executed, & welcome additions. However...

• Really like the small town/city bitmaps.
    • Don't like the forest/woods - trees are too dark, too blue, more like pine forests or jungle
    • Don't like the farmland/fields - too much brown, any green patches seem too vibrant

The stark contrast between mainly brown fields & very dark blue/green wooded areas just doesn't sit well with me.

A version with more yellow hues in the pallet, & lighter green wooded areas (we are supposed to be looking down on them, so most of the treetops are sunlit, not in shade) would be appreciated.

Small point:- If you're using multiple installs, & centralising scenery folders to save space (like I did ), then altering airfield background bitmaps & Sander's Euro LC textures can have unexpected impacts in those other installs. Best to put everything into a dedicated install so you can tweak terrain colour schemes in isolation...

Icon26

Thanks for the support Shessi, a number of folk have already downloaded the mod, though I also prefer the lighter more natural version that I'm currently working on. I enjoy texture editing and that for me is its own reward. If one other person downloads the mod and gets enjoyment from it, its a bonus. Feedback, constructive criticism like Shessi's and Uncletgt's, helps me to create better textures.

I wholeheartedly agree about the forest textures and was eyeing them this morning, thinking that they could be less saturated and as you say, lighter. The current lighter textures will be in their, natural state(less saturated) as I saved them from google earth, with slight sharpening and editing to allow for seamless tiling. The Google earth JUne textures naturally contain a mix of brown and green fields and this time I don't want to interfere too much with nature.
    Last edited by rince33; July 2nd, 2019 at 13:45.

Bob/Bof lighter terrain texture mod

I was going to just release a 256 version which looks pretty good and has some different field textures and then decided to release both 256 and an older 512 version.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/5qidrq8yczauu8f/BOFBOB_TERRAIN_TEX_MOD_lighter.7z/file

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bandicam-2019-07-04-12-20-09-521.jpg  

Hi R,
    Yes, these are now my default tex's (512x512 versions). Personally I think these are far better than the earlier darker versions, and just the right balance for summer colours. They look very good from 1000 to 30000+. Good detail at all heights, no blurries, no FR hit..great stuff.

The only very minor thing, and would be too time consuming, is to get rid or reduce the amount of brown fields. I think that M$ put too many such 'ploughed/uncropped' fields in, and TBH they wouldn't be many brown fields in summer as the crops would have grown.

Thanks for all the efforts. I hope, when you're happy with the end result you'll properly upload here.

Cheers

Shessi

Howzit Shessi

Glad you like them. I'll see if I can clone in some green fields or find field textures with less brown fields.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Looks beautiful, rince33!

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Thanks MaskRider, this my absolutely bloody final version of the above , is a lighter less saturated version with lighter town,city and village textures as well.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/97wkmczbc6q9ram/BOFBOB_GREEN_BRIGHTversion2.7z/file

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bandicam-2019-07-13-18-22-11-490.jpg   bandicam-2019-07-13-18-53-41-065.jpg   bandicam-2019-07-13-19-37-03-847.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0