Aeroplane Heaven : What to expect rest of 2019 and Beyond
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aeroplane Heaven : What to expect rest of 2019 and Beyond

Icon2 Aeroplane Heaven : What to expect rest of 2019 and Beyond

Ok saw the lists of projects AH is doing and saw the Boeing 707 on there... wow! Been waiting for this one since I loved the Captain 707.

Thought this was an interesting statement:

A word on warbirds.
    We believe that the market for warbirds, particularly WW2 subjects is shrinking. We don’t know why but we have seen a significant drop in interest in this type of simulation.

http://www.flightsimulatorpilot.com/fspmain/?p=27391

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post

A word on warbirds.
    We believe that the market for warbirds, particularly WW2 subjects is shrinking. We don’t know why but we have seen a significant drop in interest in this type of simulation.

http://www.flightsimulatorpilot.com/fspmain/?p=27391
    Its from his FB. Yes, its strange. I always preffered warbirds, very, very pity.
    About big airliners jets, not for me.
    Good to see Sabreliner finally .
    C-47 is ok too but Manfred's model will be hard to break through.
    Classics GA are ok for me also, I like it.
    btw.
    maybe military jets from cold era as idea for the future?
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Yes, I read it on FB. They had talked about dedicating future work on P3D only.

FSX vs P3D

Without doubt, and especially with news of a new sim on the horizon, from Microsoft, we think FSX has reached its road’s end. Well, for people like us anyway.

It is not likely that we will develop further projects for FSX and P3D. The workload in producing for both simulators is
    very high, especially if PBR techniques are employed for the advanced versions of P3D. Our sales data and feedback shows a marked leaning toward P3D with our customers who like the new techniques and the “bigger” experience P3D can bring to their screens.
    Although they talk about "further projects" there is no mention as to current project underway with regards to the sim. There are a couple 2019 releases that interest me, but I have no idea if they will be for FSX.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

If the "market" is going to be limited to tubeliners, I'm out. And I guess a lot of people will do the same.

We're talking about flight simulation, not bus simulation.

Priller

Interesting on there future products, of the ones they listed

HS-748 and BAC 1-11: they released versions of those not long ago so these must be PBR updates
    DH.104: I know JF has one, I wonder if AH collaborated on that with them if so another update, interested.
    HS Trident: Not had a good one since Dave Maltby's excellent FS9 version, interested.
    Boeing 707: Very interested, had the captain sim version but since it's not P3d compatible have not used it in some time, a modern AH version would be greatly anticipated.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

HS 748 was branded JUSTFLIGHT. So i am curious to understand what they intent to do... Same for DH104.

Caravelle annouced for september : I am happy

Gérard

I don't know...this seems like an awkward time to be making sweeping decisions about development for flight simulators. There is a potentially major new one in the FS2020 release from Microsoft. That could render a severe blow to Lockheed Martin's simming plans, so why would not wait before choosing a new course? What about X-Plane? Look at the following FSX plus the Steam version have built. Still big numbers of users there.

Changing sims and platforms, plus new equipment and add-ons, is a huge hobby expense. Personally, it is unlikely that I would trash what I have and start again.

I agree with all. I'd like to see how the new sim develops and what it provides.

Furthermore, I'm not into tubeliners as well nor do I agree there is lost interest in warplanes. I think any one of us can come up with a nice list of warplanes NOT in FSX. Most that are in FSX are port-overs from FS9, so the actual list of NATIVE FSX Warbirds is quite slim IMHO.

I wish AH well and good luck, but I'll be saving my money for now.
    -- WH

I don't think I'd call it a "sweeping decision". We base all our plans on cold hard fact. When one is faced with sales figures that indicate that a change is necessary, one acts. Or one dies.

Sales of the little Cessna 140 for example, outstrip our warbirds by a ratio of 5:1. So, why would we plough our meagre resources and precious time in building for the lesser market?

We run a Facebook page to gauge interest in the market and among our customer base. By far the greatest interest has come from anything we post on subjects like the Caravelle, DC-3/C-47, Socata MS and others.

We built the originals for Just Flight's HS748, BAC 1-11 and the Comet Jetliner along with many more. Models are ageing, some are 10 years old. We feel it is time to bring a new generation to the market.

We have a new range of Spitfires (MkV and MkIX) and a new Hurricane being built. The C-47 "That's all Brother" would be classed as a warbird surely. There's probably around 9,000 hours of work in those three alone.

A new simulator is on the horizon in 2020. We will know more in August. Any guesses on how long it will take developers to learn any new processes required to build for it? Or do you think we just wave a wand and it all happens? That takes time. Time we will not be building anything.

Another point is that this page is named for "Combat flight simulation" so of course the bias is toward warbirds here. No surprises there. The thing is that there are other sites devoted to flight simulation which tell very different stories.

For us, it is time to move on. We've done our homework. We see what's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    We have a new range of Spitfires (MkV and MkIX) and a new Hurricane being built. The C-47 "That's all Brother" would be classed as a warbird surely.
    Which sim?
    -- WH

Currently, P3DV4.5. That could change, depending on demand.

Regarding commercial flightsim developers who decide what products to create, for which platform, based on realistic sales data....it's basic logic. Any sales environment is ruled by Darwinian reality.....I have total acceptance of the concept. No questions or argument here.

For those who would decry that they're not receiving the subject matter that interests them, fitting into the sim platform that they favour.....I would suggest that there was never any time better than the present.........to take up the creative challenge themselves, and begin feeding that appetite with their own "hidden" talents.

There is a ton of information out there detailing how to render and finish aircraft models for MS flight Sim. One of the best is a brilliant series of videos available on Youtube by our esteemed local creator, Mr. Milton Shupe.

These are an in-depth presentation that takes the viewer by the hand and guides them through the creative steps in the most detailed and easy-to-understand manner that could be imagined. The amount of time and effort that Milton invested in the creation of those tutorials simply amazes me. These are a HUGE resource.

Websites like FS Developer (as well) are loaded with all manner of tutorials and tools, plus a highly active online community who's collective talent leaves my stone-aged jaw firmly stuck to the floor unto which it has dropped....(!!!)

...And a little consulting of the Great Oracle of Google will bring the earnest (even) more tutorials spread out through the internet ether, some of them probably lurking between the virtual lines of this very website.

So.....c'mon flightsim users.....need more warbirds...biplanes....bushplanes....dusters.... what have-you...?

Take some control of your appetite's destiny. Start yourself on the rendering pathway.....build'em for the next gen of what's coming our way.

You will survive the process to become a revered ether-master renderer, and you'll get your heart's desire self-served-up in spades.

......Questions?

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    If the "market" is going to be limited to tubeliners, I'm out. And I guess a lot of people will do the same.

We're talking about flight simulation, not bus simulation.

Priller
    Doubt if it will bother too many people.
    If you check out the 'other' FS boards you'll find that the 'Bus's' outnumber the combat stuff hugely.
    And MSFS has always been primarily civilian.
    Feel free to bomb the crap out of people in DCS, that seems to be the focus in that particular simulation.
    'Flight Simulation' is about 'Flight', not warfare.

My (devalued) A$00:02 worth.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    Interesting on there future products, of the ones they listed

Boeing 707: Very interested, had the captain sim version but since it's not P3d compatible have not used it in some time, a modern AH version would be greatly anticipated.
    Maybe a KC-135 Stratotanker since they are still flying based of of a B-707!

Javelin project was canceled? I dont see it on the roadmap.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...hlight=javelin
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

No, the Javelin is not cancelled. It is at the back of the hangar awaiting more VC work.

Don't discount freeware folks, as rightly pointed out regarding Milton's awesome work. I don't think it'll ever be a commercial reality for me to develop airplanes commercially due to the current demands for complexity, so I focus my commercial work on scenery. For airplanes, I like freeware, and I'm sure other modelers like Rob Richardson and Milton feel the same way. We'll keep putting military aircraft and AI work out there as fast as we can, and if Microsoft stays to their word with FS 2020 and supports "community created content", which I take to potentially mean freeware, then we'll start building there too no doubt.I build warbirds for free because I love the airplanes and I love creating them. That's it. There is nothing else. If the MS-based flight sim market for freeware warbirds does indeed fade out, I'll build them for X-Plane instead. They may never get as high in standard as Aeroplane Heaven et all, but they'll do the job
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

I agree Manfred, Milton produces some incredible freeware models as others including yourself. Playing with the Howard myself and look how old that model is... pure classic!

Currently, P3DV4.5. That could change, depending on demand.
    Oops, I hope you reconsider. I know many have moved on to P3D, but my personal feeling (based on absolutely nothing) tells me there are still quite some warbird fans who are still with FSX.
    I was really looking forward to the Hurricane (Especially as it was first announced on my 60th birthday ), but I can fully understand your choices.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ight=hurricane

Cheers,
    Huub

Hi,

We built the originals for Just Flight's HS748, BAC 1-11 and the Comet Jetliner along with many more. Models are ageing, some are 10 years old. We feel it is time to bring a new generation to the market.
    You mean brand new models, with more details

Comet ? May be Vickers Viscount

Gérard

There are many of our titles we'd like to revisit but we can't do them all. The 748,Comet and BAC 1-11 will all be new and the B707 will be a new adventure.

I have nothing but respect for freeware developers, having been one myself and some of AH's earlier efforts remain freeware. The dynamic is totally different because when working freeware, one's motivation is different. I'd build Spitfires all day if I could but I don't think the bank would be very happy...

I don't think I'd call it a "sweeping decision". We base all our plans on cold hard fact. When one is faced with sales figures that indicate that a change is necessary, one acts. Or one dies.

Sales of the little Cessna 140 for example, outstrip our warbirds by a ratio of 5:1. So, why would we plough our meagre resources and precious time in building for the lesser market?

We run a Facebook page to gauge interest in the market and among our customer base. By far the greatest interest has come from anything we post on subjects like the Caravelle, DC-3/C-47, Socata MS and others.

We have a new range of Spitfires (MkV and MkIX) and a new Hurricane being built. The C-47 "That's all Brother" would be classed as a warbird surely. There's probably around 9,000 hours of work in those three alone.

A new simulator is on the horizon in 2020. We will know more in August. Any guesses on how long it will take developers to learn any new processes required to build for it? Or do you think we just wave a wand and it all happens? That takes time. Time we will not be building anything.

Another point is that this page is named for "Combat flight simulation" so of course the bias is toward warbirds here. No surprises there. The thing is that there are other sites devoted to flight simulation which tell very different stories.

For us, it is time to move on. We've done our homework. We see what's coming.
    Normally I do wait eagerly for new warbirds, but above that vintage (especially the sometimes overlooked) aircraft in general. That's where you guys shine and I have most of you catalog except the Bulldog and the new 140. (On my get list.) I was (and am) totally excited about the Caravelle. Not because it's an airliner, but because it's not something one gets to see in the sky anymore, and it's a beautiful aircraft. I was saddened to hear it wasn't coming to FSX, but I guess I'll upgrade to a new machine and P3D as there are some great planes besides the Caravelle coming out for it. It doesn't mean one has to ditch the investment of FSX as I plan to run both rigs, so not the end of the world. BTW, I'm so happy you guys did the Helldiver. Probably my favorite from your stable! Keep 'em comin' on whatever platform!

There are many of our titles we'd like to revisit but we can't do them all. The 748,Comet and BAC 1-11 will all be new and the B707 will be a new adventure.

I have nothing but respect for freeware developers, having been one myself and some of AH's earlier efforts remain freeware. The dynamic is totally different because when working freeware, one's motivation is different. I'd build Spitfires all day if I could but I don't think the bank would be very happy...
    Thank's for asking us clearly what we would be willing to pay (lol). In my case, I would use my credit card for a SUD-AVIATION "Caravelle".
    Spitfire, Hurricane and other Mustangs, I'm over my head and I do not need an nth version of Spitfire now called "Spifire Dieppe" and after "Spitfire D-Day" and so on!

JMC

I, for one, am sad to see AH leave the FSX market. I have most of their products and always looked forward to their next release, but "it is what it is" and nothing we say or do will change the direction AH has taken.

I may disagree with some of their research and logic behind their decision(s), but I understand what they are doing. I'm not the one in the business of developing flight sim products to put food on the table for my family.

So, I wish them well and may they "live long and prosper".

Perhaps it may be better to move their entire topic over to the P3D forum??
    -- WH

Members who have read this thread: 0