Assetto Corsa - not Competizione

Thread: Assetto Corsa - not Competizione

Assetto Corsa - not Competizione

I am tempted to buy the Ultimate Edition by the Steam sale, but have no experience of a driving simulator, let alone a racing one. I tried to download the manual that the Steam page says is available, but all I get is a single picture of one car, and the Kunos website does no better.

The Steam page says that the needed controls are a mouse and keyboard, or a gamepad. How do you experienced drivers control your vehicles ? If I would have to invest in a dedicated controller, then that will likely stop me from buying, but if I can plod along using the mouse and keyboard, that would probably be good enough for me.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    It is a sim, not a game so a steering wheel is highly recommended IMHO. I've tried it with a keyboard after a reinstall to do a quick test but it is very hard to do and of course the 'sim' bit is completely lost for me.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

What Ferry said.
    I've done the keyboard routine after a new installation and it is possible to get around a simple layout using the arrows(up/down/left/right) but one's fingers get tired and the car ends up junk!
    Definitely need a wheel and pedals.
    Logitech are reasonably priced and you could look on eBay for a pre-loved one.
    Even check out the sales for Sims on Farcebook.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

A steering wheel and pedals will make a massive difference, although I did use Project Cars with the X Box One controller which came with the Oculus Rift for a long time. Eventually I set up my saitek pro combat rudder pedals to act as accelerator and brake, which made it a bit more controllable. Eventually I bought the Logitech G920 bundle with wheel, pedals, and shifter for a very good price from The Gamesmen in Australia. The experience using the wheel and pedals is increased 200%.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Members who have read this thread: 0