A.F.Scrub T-39 Saberliner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A.F.Scrub T-39 Saberliner

A.F.Scrub T-39 Saberliner

The following was copied over from another thread to give it it's own thread rather than be buried in another.
    Quote Originally Posted by RKinkor View Post
    Just as a heads up AF Scrub has released an FSX Native version of Mike Stone's T-39 over at Simviation this morning. Going to giver her a try here in a bit.
    I've downloaded and had a look. Not a bad job. . .and considering we have none at the moment, this might just fill a void for the time being. Just as a HU, the eyepoint is way off and has you sitting over the center console rather than in the left seat, so I made a few adjustments:

eyepoint =11.20,-1.31,1.55

The exterior needs some texture work and I plan on doing that when I have time in the evenings. Probably do a layered paint kit, research what markings, decals and such were normally seen on the AF version at least and go from there.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Thanks for the reminder on that one. And the mod.

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    The exterior needs some texture work and I plan on doing that when I have time in the evenings. Probably do a layered paint kit, research what markings, decals and such were normally seen on the AF version at least and go from there.
    Thanks for the HU. Not bad at all. Thanks for the update on the viewpoint.

Couple things I noted.

- Load and unload times from the sim are a little long - probably due to the gauge loading/unloading.
    -- Once started I get a "brake failure" warning, but brakes work just fine. Not sure if there's something else I need to do on startup.
    ---Once airborne it's sensitive on pitch, and slow on roll. The aircraft.cfg lacks a [flight_tuning] section, but that could be added for further adjustments. I think.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    Thanks for the HU. Not bad at all. Thanks for the update on the viewpoint.

Couple things I noted.

- Load and unload times from the sim are a little long - probably due to the gauge loading/unloading.
    -- Once started I get a "brake failure" warning, but brakes work just fine. Not sure if there's something else I need to do on startup.
    ---Once airborne it's sensitive on pitch, and slow on roll. The aircraft.cfg lacks a [flight_tuning] section, but that could be added for further adjustments. I think.
    Good to know WH. I also noted slow load times while I was adjusting the eyepoint. Took much longer than normal. I also thought there was something missing in the config file, but I only looked far enough to get to the eyepoints and never checked any further.

I'll get back to it this evening. Taking a sick baby to the Dr's right now.

Current System Specs:

Also if you notice the oil press is in the red all of the time reading 125 psi. A little to high me thinks. Here is what I did to correct this and the brake accum light. I copied the Flt tuning and the brake setting from the stock Lear Jet aircraft config file. I copied the oil press and oil temp from the Lear Jet air file to the Saberliner. No more brake light and the oil press and temp are now in the white. Also the standby attitude and altimeter where missing on the panel. I added these from some 737 gauges I had using FSPanel. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by mcanx View Post
    Also if you notice the oil press is in the red all of the time reading 125 psi. A little to high me thinks. Here is what I did to correct this and the brake accum light. I copied the Flt tuning and the brake setting from the stock Lear Jet aircraft config file. I copied the oil press and oil temp from the Lear Jet air file to the Saberliner. No more brake light and the oil press and temp are now in the white. Also the standby attitude and altimeter where missing on the panel. I added these from some 737 gauges I had using FSPanel. Robert
    So you edited the air file??

Also noted that the standby airspeed indicator does not function.
    -- WH

Yes, You can get a copy of Aired 1.52 from Simviation to edit your airfile. Trust me it's easy. Robert

Next time I fly I'll check my stnby airspeed and see if mine is inop. Thanks Robert

SOH-CM-2023
    Downloading now. Looks to use the Default Lear 45 VC. While not a match, I'd probably swap in Either Rob's HS-125 or the Falcon 20 VC and panel to be a closer "Steam gauge" era VC rather than glass.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Gladden View Post
    Downloading now. Looks to use the Default Lear 45 VC. While not a match, I'd probably swap in Either Rob's HS-125 or the Falcon 20 VC and panel to be a closer "Steam gauge" era VC rather than glass.
    Brian, let us know how that goes. I have the 20 and would like to try swapping but have no experience with that.

Current System Specs:

SOH-CM-2023
    The procedure isn't Too hard.

Copy the interior model of the VC you want to use to the aircraft's model folder. in the Model cfg, edit the Interior= name from the original to the one you just pasted. Then in the texture folder copy over all the needed VC textures. Then copy over the panel from the donor VC to the aircraft (possibly by making a separate panel folder and assigning it in the aircraft cfg) then last is to copy and paste the original VC donor's eyepoint setting from the aircraft cfg to the receivers aircraft cfg. Works about 90% the time out of the box. Sometimes a few tweaks are needed but sometimes, that is half the fun.

Good post. I did this a couple months ago, when I was converting it to work with P3D.

It worked OK but I had to set it aside in order to work on some more pressing projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Πληκτρολογήστε ή μιλήστε αγγλικά εδώ View Post

Copy the interior model of the VC you want to use to the aircraft's model folder. in the Model cfg, edit the Interior= name from the original to the one you just pasted. Then in the texture folder copy over all the needed VC textures. Then copy over the panel from the donor VC to the aircraft (possibly by making a separate panel folder and assigning it in the aircraft cfg) then last is to copy and paste the original VC donor's eyepoint setting from the aircraft cfg to the receivers aircraft cfg. Works about 90% the time out of the box. Sometimes a few tweaks are needed but sometimes, that is half the fun.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Worked very well. Although, even with the eyepoint info moved over I started up in the tail of the airplane, so it took a fair amount of trial and error to get the view into the VC. Thanks Brian.

Current System Specs:

Has anyone been able to apply a texture to the LE Slats? There appears to be a texture available for it, but it doesn't appear when applied to the aircraft. . . .same applies to the LE of the vertical Stab. Only answer I can come up with is that it was never mapped to the model.

Current System Specs:

Blog Entries
    Worked very well. Although, even with the eyepoint info moved over I started up in the tail of the airplane, so it took a fair amount of trial and error to get the view into the VC. Thanks Brian.
    I just noticed this thread. I could have walked you through this easily earlier. Full time work takes a toll...

It helps to do one coordinate plane at a time too. But good job picking up this skill, as now in the age of sims with separate internal and external models, you can do some nice substitutions, within reason. Things get complicated when animations are triggered by gauges of a panel you replaced, but I doubt that applies on a simple model like this.

Good job to you guys for breathing new life into this little gem.

DL

If nobody else beats me to it, I'll take a look at it in MCX after I get back from Greece tonight and let you know what's up with the slat and LE textures.

Has anyone been able to apply a texture to the LE Slats? There appears to be a texture available for it, but it doesn't appear when applied to the aircraft. . . .same applies to the LE of the vertical Stab. Only answer I can come up with is that it was never mapped to the model.
    Current System Specs :
    FSXA & P3Dv4 | Windows 10 Professional for Workstations (x64)
    Motherboard: Gigabit Z390 Aorus Ultra, LGA 1151, Intel based
    CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K @ 3.60GHz | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4 3600
    GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme (6GB GDDR5)
    HD: 1TB SanDisk SSD Plus | PSU: KDM 750W ATX Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by awstub View Post
    If nobody else beats me to it, I'll take a look at it in MCX after I get back from Greece tonight and let you know what's up with the slat and LE textures.
    Thanks! I did take a look in MCX when I first saw the problem and according to the Material Manager there is a texture mapped to the LE Slats and it shows to be on the Wings_01 texture.

Current System Specs:

Couple things I noted.
    Still curious about the roll rate WH. Any idea how that can be tweaked to be more responsive?

Current System Specs:

SOH-CM-2023
    Still curious about the roll rate WH. Any idea how that can be tweaked to be more responsive?

Copy and paste a [Flight Tuning] from another aircraft to the Cfg. Then after making sure all the scalars are set to 1.0 go to the cfg and start tweaking. I'd guess as a start. move the scalar for the elevator efectivness to 0.8 and try it. as for the roll rate, set the aileron_effectiveness=1.000 to something like 1.2 and test. I mapped a button on my joystick to the "Reload Aircraft" command and it lets me just hit a button to try the new setting. Works for panel editing too.

[flight_tuning]
    cruise_lift_scalar=1.000
    pitch_stability=1.000
    roll_stability=1.000
    yaw_stability=1.000
    parasite_drag_scalar=1.000
    induced_drag_scalar=1.000
    elevator_effectiveness=1.000
    aileron_effectiveness=1.000
    rudder_effectiveness=1.000
    elevator_trim_effectiveness=1.000
    aileron_trim_effectiveness=1.000
    rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.000
    p_factor_on_yaw = 1.0
    torque_on_roll = 1.0
    gyro_precession_on_yaw = 1.0
    gyro_precession_on_pitch = 1.0

Copy and paste a [Flight Tuning] from another aircraft to the Cfg. Then after making sure all the scalars are set to 1.0 go to the cfg and start tweaking. I'd guess as a start. move the scalar for the elevator efectivness to 0.8 and try it. as for the roll rate, set the aileron_effectiveness=1.000 to something like 1.2 and test. I mapped a button on my joystick to the "Reload Aircraft" command and it lets me just hit a button to try the new setting. Works for panel editing too.

[flight_tuning]
    cruise_lift_scalar=1.000
    pitch_stability=1.000
    roll_stability=1.000
    yaw_stability=1.000
    parasite_drag_scalar=1.000
    induced_drag_scalar=1.000
    elevator_effectiveness=1.000
    aileron_effectiveness=1.000
    rudder_effectiveness=1.000
    elevator_trim_effectiveness=1.000
    aileron_trim_effectiveness=1.000
    rudder_trim_effectiveness=1.000
    p_factor_on_yaw = 1.0
    torque_on_roll = 1.0
    gyro_precession_on_yaw = 1.0
    gyro_precession_on_pitch = 1.0
    I increased the pitch_stability to control the pitch and increased the aileron_effectivness to increase the ability to roll. I'm still experimenting with values.
    -- WH

I increased the pitch_stability to control the pitch and increased the aileron_effectiveness to increase the ability to roll. I'm still experimenting with values.
    Would you believe a setting of 3.80 for aileron_effectiveness before I could complete a full roll that didn't either end in a nose down crash or take almost 2 minutes to complete?

Current System Specs:

A couple of liveries, not certain they would hold up under scrutiny by experts, but good enough for me to fly around in:

Current System Specs:

There is a modified version on Flightsim.com. I downloaded it but I'm not sure I want to spend any more time tweaking this thing.
    -- WH

There is a modified version on Flightsim.com. I downloaded it but I'm not sure I want to spend any more time tweaking this thing.
    I agree WH. He doesn't (or can't really) address the mapping issue with the LE Slats, everyone has probably tweaked what they have to their own liking, so no real reason to go after another one. I have someone who says they've corrected the issue with the LE, I'm just waiting for them to send me the correction.

Current System Specs:

A couple of liveries, not certain they would hold up under scrutiny by experts, but good enough for me to fly around in:
    Beautiful USN paint! Is it uploaded, Ed? Pete

Members who have read this thread: 1