Boeing F3B-4 USN Biplane Fighter - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boeing F3B-4 USN Biplane Fighter

With the Curtiss F8C I was unable to catch a wire on Yanco's USS Enterprise (CV-6) even after adjusting the hydraulic pressure value. That was with A.F. Scrub's FSX update... Then I tried the more recent Michael Pook FSX update and I trapped OK, although I again had to adjust the hydraulic pressure. I always figured if the aircraft had a [tailhook] section with correct values in the .cfg file that's all you needed to get aboard. Nice to learn something new!

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    in a post from 2017, vmag17 gave me and everyone else there the solution.

The problem is in the Aircraft.cfg entry - [hydraulic_system] - where the "normal_pressure" is set to "0.0".

Hydraulic pressure is required for raising or lowering the Tail Hook on all AC.

Just modify the entry to - for example "normal_pressure = 1050.0" (units in PSI) and the Tail Hook should work.

Every one of these 3 birds had 0.0 normal_pressure in the hydraulic system. As soon as I corrected this, voila success. Now the F4B4's have to be airborne and running before they will deploy their visible hooks but the invisible hook on the F8C still deploys as evidenced by the rcbco-30 gauge in the cockpit.

This is a good end to the day, 21:49 here. Tomorrow I will go back to working on the F8C's and youse guys who sent me PM's, I will be sharing my files here in the Warbird Library when I have completed them and tested to be sure everything works properly. This is honestly an answer to a prayer of a very frustrated guy before. Thank you Lord for small favors.
    That is good news. Hopefully, your carrier traps will be successful.

on real Navy aircraft, the hook is only raised by hydraulic pressure. It can free fall down once unlatched
    I seem to remember a rather nice FS9/CFS2 Sea Hurricane where this was replicated. You could drop the hook but it wouldn't retract again without starting a new flight.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Bottom quote

Quote Originally Posted by dhasdell View Post
    I seem to remember a rather nice FS9/CFS2 Sea Hurricane where this was replicated. You could drop the hook but it wouldn't retract again without starting a new flight.
    I like your quote at the bottom which expresses my sentiments so often: Why won't things work right the first time!

The First Section Repaints Uploaded in the Warbirds Library

Just finished uploading the first of six sections of repaints I've completed for the Curtiss F8C/O2C. Any comments PM me or post here.

Continuing in the paint shed all afternoon and evening, I have completed 5 of the 6 sections. I will test them out tomorrow afternoon or Monday before I upload. I also want to fly this thing on MY computer and trap even though rcbco-30 says I have a"hook".
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; July 6th, 2019 at 17:10.

Gee, those are really great tgycgijoes! Many thanks from a Yellow Wings Navy enthusiast.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Hydraulics

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Gee, those are really great tgycgijoes! Many thanks from a Yellow Wings Navy enthusiast.
    You are very welcome...don't forget to update the hydraulics in the aircraft.cfg as instructed above so that your invisible tailhook is functional for carrier traps.

Hoping For A CV-3 Saratoga

I found the CV-3 scenery but it has a "hole" in the deck right where the arresting cables are so when touchdown you go through the deck. I was able to catch a wire on the USS Lexington CV_16 so the hook does work for me too with Michael Pook's updated F8C-4 flies nice too.

Off to evening services so I will update a few more sections and post them later tonight.

You do know that you can use CV2 Uss Lexington from the FSX Yanco Coral Sea package and just repaint the deck numbers for Saratoga .
    Then you can use either AiCarriers or setup a route around Panama with AIBTC and this way you have a moving flight deck.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

I didn't know that

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    You do know that you can use CV2 Uss Lexington from the FSX Yanco Coral Sea package and just repaint the deck numbers for Saratoga .
    Then you can use either AiCarriers or setup a route around Panama with AIBTC and this way you have a moving flight deck.

Joe
    Thanks Joe I will go do that right now. I have that package on a flash drive in the bag.

I have been using USS Enterprise CV-6 just to have a straight deck carrier and just made three 3 wire traps. I have Vertigo Studios CV-6 on my wish list and if I understand the manual correctly their "batman" their name for "Paddles" will work in any aircraft any carrier because he"s a gauge. That would be really cool. If anyone has that carrier give a heads-up here if I am right please.

Joe
    Dont' forget to paint the vertical black stripe on the stack as well - distinguishing feature of CV-3 from CV-2 at a distance.

Got the stack

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Dont' forget to paint the vertical black stripe on the stack as well - distinguishing feature of CV-3 from CV-2 at a distance.

Thank you, I would have forgotten. I am going to try and recolor the flightdeck from the deck blue stain to the original mahogany and yellow stripes and SARA on the stern. Since this is like a repaint not a model change I think I can share it. I have the Paul Clawson scenery SARA for an example. Saratoga was at the Battle Of Midway and I was hoping it was in Yanco-san's Midway ship collection but no such luck, just Enterprise, Hornet and Yorktown. Anyone know where to get a flush-deck ai destroyer, all of Yanco-san's are newer tincans.

She's not in the package because she wasn't at Midway. She had been hit with a torpedo a few weeks after a mission
    to relieve Wake island and was in for repairs at the time of Midway. Her next action was in the early stages of the
    Guadalcanal campaign and seen action in the Eastern Solomon's before being hit again with a torpedo making the
    Enterprise the only carrier in the area.

Check here in the library and over at SimV. There is the USS Cole which is a 4 stacker destroyer that was converted
    from cfs2 to FSX that might fit the bill

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD

tgycgijoes,
    Lazarus put together a package of Clemson class 4-stacker DD's. I can't find them here in the SOH library but if you'll PM me your email address I'll be happy to send you the zip file.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Clemson_DD.jpg  

The USS Cole can be found over at SimV on page 25 in the FSX Misc section. I also found a 1932 config of Saratoga here in the library
    in the cfs2 section from Usio. It is a very nice model but will need converted to use in FSX.

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Saratoga.jpg  

Not Familiar With SimV

The USS Cole can be found over at SimV on page 25 in the FSX Misc section. I also found a 1932 config of Saratoga here in the library
    in the cfs2 section from Usio. It is a very nice model but will need converted to use in FSX.

Joe
    What is SimV? Thank you for the SARA. Will give that a shot too.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    What is SimV? Thank you for the SARA. Will give that a shot too.
    SimV is Simviation.com

Joe

I know Simviation

SimV is Simviation.com

Joe
    Duh!!! on my part I go there all the time but not heard it called that. Anyway, I did a search for USS Cole here and found the FS9 version in the Warbirds Library and downloaded it. Thank you.

All for assistance

A big atta boy of gratitude to all who have assisted with the ships, the information and the hints and all. Now I gotta get to work finishing the last section of F8C's and upload them. I am going to start a new thread for VS2B with the O2U2. Mick did a great job of repaints for the T4M all available here in the library so I am not going to do that one but the Vought O2U2 Corsair using the model referenced above. See ya'all in the next thread, thank you again to everyone for all your assistance and support.

tgycgijoes,
    A question about the FSX version of Paul Clawson's USS Saratoga... Have you tried landing on it using just the FSX Acceleration arresting gear system and not the rcbco-30 gauges? Reason I'm asking is that it doesn't seem to have an arresting gear area built into the model. After I finally got it to show up in AICarriers I've tried repeatedly to catch a wire and I just keep rolling down the deck. Landed short, landed long, landed right in the middle of the wires - can't hook a darn thing.

No wires

I only found scenery not ai carriers from Paul Clawson. I just converted the CFS-2 VN_PRESARA to FSX MDL and AI Carriers and it is really cool. Also added the USS Cole DD155 after I converted it to FSX MDL and have a plane guard. I haven't landed on SARA yet, took me a hour of frustration until I realized that I did n't have the latest version of MDLx from Arno. When I downloaded it Sara's mdl showed up and converted to FSX mdl. Curiouser and Curiouser I had to use the older version of MDLx to convert the Cole. So I have both of them installed now. I'll post some screen shots in a bit here. I opened up the Clemsons but they are APD's WWII high speed troop transports. Nice though.
    Last edited by tgycgijoes; July 8th, 2019 at 10:00.

For Paul's Sara and most likely Usio Sara you will need to add the attach points for the wires to the model in MCX.
    Using the Attached Object Editor and make sure you clicked on the Display Attached Objects. (paper clip button)
    Here is what to look for and add using Yanco's Yorktown....

Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Yorktown_MCX.jpg  

Way over my head

For Paul's Sara and most likely Usio Sara you will need to add the attach points for the wires to the model in MCX.
    Using the Attached Object Editor and make sure you clicked on the Display Attached Objects. (paper clip button)
    Here is what to look for and add using Yanco's Yorktown....

Joe
    This looks way challenging to me. I am a repainter not a model maker I'm afraid. My converted VN_PRESARA is beautiful but it doesnt have a hard deck and the aircraft just falls right through it. I looked over at FSDevelopers how to add a hard deck to it and it takes FSDS which is WAY over my head.

USS Lexington as USS Saratoga

I spent the last few hours experimenting repainting the VEH_Lexington_yanco_CV2AI prewar texture using photos as a reference after using the CFS 2 VN SARA mahogany deck bmp and Photoshop to create this texture from photographs. It always is amazing to me how you see differences when you study period photos for repainting whether ships or aircraft and see the differences from the drawing or plan. Like Sara from 1929 to 1938 had a number of different deck painting of the lines even before she got her deck blue in 1942. Here a couple shots

The only bummer is its impossible to paint SARA's signature black vertical bar on the island the way Yanco did the texture for the model. Its one large hunk of gray with the black details no way to know where it is. I may try and see if I can paint it down the middle of the big gray square and see where it shows up.

Edit: That big gray square is the hull the island and superstructure horizontal and vertical so it is not possible to get the black bar on the island. I painted it down the middle vertically and it was rectangles all over the place.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails On final for SARA in 1F6.jpg   1F6 on deck CV-3.jpg   Top down on new texture.jpg  

I should've posted a comment this morning... I tried adding Sara's black vertical bar to Yanco's Lex last night. Except I used transparent red so I could see where the color would show up. When I saw that single big .dds texture for all the hull and bulkhead paint and portholes I was like, "Uh-oh, I know how this is gonna work out!" and sure enough I got the same results as you did. Patches of transparent red all over the island. Your flight deck looks pretty good.

Members who have read this thread: 2