Boeing F3B-4 USN Biplane Fighter
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boeing F3B-4 USN Biplane Fighter

Boeing F3B-4 USN Biplane Fighter

Paul Clawson, that great FS designer made this I believe for FS9 but I can't find it anywhere at all on the web. Once upon a time I actually had it I believe but its gone. Does anyone here have a copy of it to share? My last resort...

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    Paul Clawson, that great FS designer made this I believe for FS9 but I can't find it anywhere at all on the web. Once upon a time I actually had it I believe but its gone. Does anyone here have a copy of it to share? My last resort...
    I have it!. Will send you a PM now.

I sent you PM.

Right Church...Wrong Pier

Thanks to Gray Eagle for his help but he gave me the F4B not the F3B Hell Diver which is what I am looking for. Replied to his PM and he doesn't have the F3B. This is 1931 vintage. I have a number of others including the AH F3F both the 2002 and also the FSX which are really superb aircraft. Paul did a really great job of designing aircraft for the freeware community and I hope one of you reading has it and can share because I have spent hours and the F3B 1931 Hell Diver is nowhere to be found anymore.

I think I have two F4Bs. I'll have a rummage and see.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Thanks to Gray Eagle for his help but he gave me the F4B not the F3B Hell Diver which is what I am looking for. Replied to his PM and he doesn't have the F3B. This is 1931 vintage. I have a number of others including the AH F3F both the 2002 and also the FSX which are really superb aircraft. Paul did a really great job of designing aircraft for the freeware community and I hope one of you reading has it and can share because I have spent hours and the F3B 1931 Hell Diver is nowhere to be found anymore.
    Well I may of read the model F3B-4 as F4B-3. I didn't know about the F3B version and I too could not find it anywhere.
    I wonder if that was made for FS2004 and not FSX?

Funny, I thought I had it as well. I've been building my GW3 install for years and thought I had all of Paul Clawson's work. Hope someone can find it as I would like to have it too.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

I think I have two F4Bs. I'll have a rummage and see.
    Yes. I have an FSX F4B2 by A.F.Scrub, the same for FS9, and the FS9 Paul Clawson F4B4. I am not sure how closely related the Scrub and Clawson are, or whether the FS9 will work in FSX - there might be prop issues. From memory they are not compatible for repaints, so might be more different than they look.

David

I can see the differences between the F4B and the F3B -

Boeing F3B

Boeing F4B

Maybe AH could create an F3B version...

Maybe AH could create an F3B version
    Or Golden Age Simulations, now that the Finch is finished?

I just had a look thru my old files and all I was able to find are Paul's F4B-4 models.

But, I DID find several repaints by Mick Morrissey which said they were intended to represent the F4B-3 but they were for use with the F4B-4 models.

Maybe this is where the confusion lies?

Just a thought.

KB

Mick Morrisey created, and offered up, an 'alternate' panel for Paul Clawson's F3B-4 (file = f4bpan.zip at Flightsim.com). Maybe send Mr. Morrisey a PM here at SOH?

Good Idea

I'll try and find him and do that.

No luck

I didn't have any luck finding a PM address for him. Hope he sees the thread. I am trying to recreate the air group stationed aboard USS Saratoga CV3 in 1931-1934 in Panama: http://www.wings-aviation.ch/24-Nava...2-Basis-de.htm I have been able to download every aircraft except for the F3B by Paul Clawson and the Vought O2U by Tom Wintrow. It is interesting that in both cases there is a panel update for both aircraft but the aircraft are no where to be found. There are even multiple textures for Wintrow's O2U but no base model. So...if anyone has this one I would appreciate their sharing it too.

Mick has been active, here at the SOH forums, as recently as today. All you have to do is find a recent post of his (use the search function, top-right above), click on his name, and a context menu will pop up, giving you the option of sending him a Private Message. Hope that helps.

I have been able to download every aircraft except for the F3B by Paul Clawson and the Vought O2U by Tom Wintrow. It is interesting that in both cases there is a panel update for both aircraft but the aircraft are no where to be found. There are even multiple textures for Wintrow's O2U but no base model. So...if anyone has this one I would appreciate their sharing it too.
    Speaking of Tom Wintrow's O2U-1, the wheeled version is part of a Virtual Navy USS Langley Package for CFS2 available here at SOH, file name "VN_langley_pac.zip". It's CFS2/FS2002 vintage (see pic) but still a nice little plane. Aside from that file the original wheel and float versions have disappeared from the normal d/l sites, as you mentioned. Mick Morrissey did the repaints for both versions of the O2U, maybe he could upload the base models here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails O2U-1_Midway.jpg  

OK!

Thank you I'll download that tomorrow.

You're welcome. It sits tail-high on the ground but not really worth worrying about. I tried to tweak it in Aircraft Container Manager but the .mdl file is apparently too old to show the wireframe and contact points.

Little by little

Little by little I am completing the collection for the Saratoga Air Group in Panama in the 1930s. I love this era of naval aviation it was really colorful and fun to fly. I too would love to see AH or GAS or someone with such fantastic design skills make up to date FSX and P3D versions of these too. We can all dream LOL!
    Thanks for your time and trouble.

Closure

I just got a PM from Mick. The reason that the F3B-4 can't be found is that it was never created. There is a typo in the description of Mick's panel update; it should say F4B-4 panel. Also he said that the F3B never actually got past -1 phase and only a few were made for the Navy.

I am going to create a new thread for the USS Saratoga, CV-3 Air Group as I get repaints done and in the air for some stills and FS recorded wingmen to fly with. So far I have 2 sections done of the F8B-1's for VF1B in 1931. Once you figure out how the aircraft texture is laid out its not difficult with Photoshop and DXT-BMP. So long for now. Back to the hanger to do some more painting.

The Complete VF1B Squadron F8C-4

Well not technically but as close as I can get. Mick informed me that this F8C-4 is actually an O2C because of the cowl that was added after they were retired from active USN service into the USNR and USMC. Since that's all there is and "there ain't no mo' " I am using these because they are a really nice aircraft. Even the Helldivers movie used some O2C's when you closely watch them recovering aboard the SARA CV-3 off Point Loma after flying off from San Diego NAS.

There is also a reference in 1930's Navy painting instructions that active duty USN aircraft were not in bare metal finish because of problems at sea so they were painted in a silver-gray. I have after some efforts accomplished the overcoat of silver-gray paint onto the original repaints. Mick Morrisey graciously uploaded the six section leaders repaints to the Warbirds Library here which I downloaded last night when he made me aware of them. Here are the first results:

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image_190705_123910.jpg   Image_190705_123926.jpg  

Phooey!!!Double Phooey!!!

Well....I'm disgusted.....I just finished TRYING to land on the USS Saratoga CV-3 that Paul Clawson did though it is only scenery not an ai carrier. According to here at SOH and also FSDevelopers, if you have tailhook information in the aircraft.cfg even though you don't have a physical tailhook in the model it is supposed to arrest the aircraft on the carrier deck. I'm afraid it doesn't happen. I tried it on two other carriers from ai carriers as well. The F8C/O2C does not have a physical tailhook to catch the wire. RCBCO-30 shows it has no tailhook with a red light. As you careen through the parked aircraft forward it is apparent that you have no tailhook. Phooey!!!!! Why anyone would design a carrier aircraft with no tailhook is I'm afraid beyond me. I should have tested it first before I spent a lot of time on beautiful repaints. I am moving on to the F4B4 that Paul Clawson designed a tailhook into the model. The F8C aircraft has two strikes IMHO: the cowl and no tailhook. Just fly the aircraft on and off an NAS not a carrier. Iasked if a tailhook could be designed into the model but was told that the original model unfortunately is gone forever so no dice. I am going to stop posting here and start a new thread after I have done some work on the F4B4 and certainly after I test the original with some carrier landings. (Moe, Larry, Curly and me)

Well....I'm disgusted.....I just finished TRYING to land on the USS Saratoga CV-3 that Paul Clawson did though it is only scenery not an ai carrier. According to here at SOH and also FSDevelopers, if you have tailhook information in the aircraft.cfg even though you don't have a physical tailhook in the model it is supposed to arrest the aircraft on the carrier deck. I'm afraid it doesn't happen. I tried it on two other carriers from ai carriers as well. The F8C/O2C does not have a physical tailhook to catch the wire. RCBCO-30 shows it has no tailhook with a red light. As you careen through the parked aircraft forward it is apparent that you have no tailhook. Phooey!!!!! Why anyone would design a carrier aircraft with no tailhook is I'm afraid beyond me. I should have tested it first before I spent a lot of time on beautiful repaints. I am moving on to the F4B4 that Paul Clawson designed a tailhook into the model. The F8C aircraft has two strikes IMHO: the cowl and no tailhook. Just fly the aircraft on and off an NAS not a carrier. Iasked if a tailhook could be designed into the model but was told that the original model unfortunately is gone forever so no dice. I am going to stop posting here and start a new thread after I have done some work on the F4B4 and certainly after I test the original with some carrier landings. (Moe, Larry, Curly and me)
    Maybe a dumb question, but does the aircraft.cfg have a tailhook section anywhere?

Aircraft cfg and tailhook section

in a post from 2017, vmag17 gave me and everyone else there the solution.

The problem is in the Aircraft.cfg entry - [hydraulic_system] - where the "normal_pressure" is set to "0.0".

Hydraulic pressure is required for raising or lowering the Tail Hook on all AC.

Just modify the entry to - for example "normal_pressure = 1050.0" (units in PSI) and the Tail Hook should work.

Every one of these 3 birds had 0.0 normal_pressure in the hydraulic system. As soon as I corrected this, voila success. Now the F4B4's have to be airborne and running before they will deploy their visible hooks but the invisible hook on the F8C still deploys as evidenced by the rcbco-30 gauge in the cockpit.

This is a good end to the day, 21:49 here. Tomorrow I will go back to working on the F8C's and youse guys who sent me PM's, I will be sharing my files here in the Warbird Library when I have completed them and tested to be sure everything works properly. This is honestly an answer to a prayer of a very frustrated guy before. Thank you Lord for small favors.

Glad you found this out.

Interesting, because on real Navy aircraft, the hook is only raised by hydraulic pressure. It can free fall down once unlatched. However, it does need a hydraulic "snubber" pressure (like a shock absorber) to hold it down and keep it from bouncing once contact is made with the deck, otherwise "hook skips" and bolters occur.

The assumption may have been by the original modeler that the plane had no hydraulic system. Some old Navy planes did have to have the hook manually raised and latched by the flight deck crew.

Members who have read this thread: 2