Orbx Releases Global Buildings HD

Thread: Orbx Releases Global Buildings HD

Orbx Releases Global Buildings HD

Last edited by YoYo; June 30th, 2019 at 01:58.
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Blog Entries
    Thanks YoYo.

I’m intrigued. Especially if they added improved autogen to HKG, Kai Tack.

This is pity:
    Buildings HD will not change the appearance of airport buildings... .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

It is just texture replacement, no autogen modification.

Gérard

Not completely correct Gerard,

Some autogen library objects have also been remodelled, such as barns, water towers, etc.

There is a FAQ/info thread on what is and is not included on the ORBX forums.

https://orbxsystems.com/forum/topic/...-hd-explained/

Cheers,
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by Spook48 View Post
    Just bought it....will try later. Looks great! Thanks, NC

From what I can see Orbx has a larger library of textures and appear to look better . I'll wait and listen to other opinions when a few people have bought.

Combined with Australia v2 this package really does increase the visual goodness in my zone of interest.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Spook48 View Post

In my opinion the lower price of this package does not compensate for the lack of features compared to the ORBX product. For a start this product uses generic textures from a texture website whereas Buildings HD developer Scott Armstrong actually travelled the world and took on site photos of different region's buildings to produce regional textures. Then there are the upgraded library object models, the use of AO baking etc.
    Last edited by scotth6; July 1st, 2019 at 02:41.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

To the best of my knowledge neither product has PBR... can anyone confirm?

I really want to see a video of RDPresets Autogen!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    To the best of my knowledge neither product has PBR... can anyone confirm?

I really want to see a video of RDPresets Autogen!
    https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/5...ault-textures/

The screenshots in that link are very useful indeed... I'm now considering not getting either!

i9-10900K, 64 Gb RAM, RTX 3090 FE, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Reverb G2

Quote Originally Posted by Airtrooper View Post
    The screenshots in that link are very useful indeed... I'm now considering not getting either!
    Haha , i have the same feeling. The only real improvement i see are the Orbx at night . I also wonder how much frames those 4k textures will cost.

Outstanding comparisons!

For me, the difference is not worth the extra cost for the Orbx product. I DO have a LOT of Orbx's products, and will continue to buy them. But not this one, for now at least. The RD Preset is ok for my use. Thanks! NC

Regarding the comparison on avsim, it can be summarized as follows:

- The R&D textures are just like the default textures, with a better resolution. However, they have the same problems as the default textures: no ambiant occlusion during the day, and the buildings are completely visible at night, as if they were enlighted by some giant spots, leading to a very unrealistic visual effect.

- The OrbX textures also bring a better resolution, but additionally, they also introduce some subtle darker tint next to the base of the buildings, to simulate ambiant occlusion near the ground. At night, the building structure is not visible, only the windows and a few parts near the ground are visible. The visual effect at night is much more realistic, getting closer to XPlane11 for example. Finally, if I understood correctly, the textures really correspond to the region of the globe in which they are used.

In the end, the R&D texture sure are cheaper, but the OrbX ones are just better quality all around.

You get what you pay for.
    Thus far I've not regretted any of my ORBX purchases and more to the point I prefer to pay for a 'Local' production.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0