For The Love Of MAW...

Thread: For The Love Of MAW...

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

For The Love Of MAW...

Been switching gears and been getting back into MAW. Really been enjoying MAW and MAW 1943. Both are great and a change of pace. Enjoy flying those Italian aircraft and all the P-40's...Wish we had someone who does missions. Some for MAW1943 would be great. MAW'43 has just about everything you need in one nice and easy-to-install expansion.Next to the ETO these are now my favorites. Any other MAW fans out there ?

MAW is by far and away my favourite theatre.

I have collected a few missions from various places over the years.

PM me if you would like a copy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-06-23.jpg   2019-06-23.jpg  

MAW has many fine, and unique AC that I love to fly in this interesting theater with its mix of desert, ocean and mountain terrain.

I recently finished PTO, Korea and my Jets only collection, and started upgrading MAW to the new 2048 AC texture standard yesterday. I would never have considered doing this for every legacy AC before the advent of Gigapixel AI. My old process of enlarging textures by hand was very time consuming and not worth it unless the AC was just too low rez to bear looking at any longer. Now I can take care of every stair-stepped panel line and marking in just a few minutes (2-10 depending on the extra detailing desired).

My current process is:
    1. Make a backup copy of the original texture
    2. Save a copy as a TIFF
    3. Run it through Gigapixel AI at 4x to get a 4096 texture
    4. Take the enlarged TIFF back to Photoshop, fix any AI errors and add any extra detailing
    5. Resize it back to 2048 using bicubic sharper
    6. Save it as a DXT1 dds file with the original name
    7. Delete the TIFF files because they're hugh

My only wish is that Topaz would let me work directly with the dds files. Since I can do step 3 in large batches, it would eliminate a couple of the non-value added steps that take longer than the intelligent enlargement process itself.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorMagee View Post
    MAW has many fine, and unique AC that I love to fly in this interesting theater with its mix of desert, ocean and mountain terrain.

I recently finished PTO, Korea and my Jets only collection, and started upgrading MAW to the new 2048 AC texture standard yesterday. I would never have considered doing this for every legacy AC before the advent of Gigapixel AI. My old process of enlarging textures by hand was very time consuming and not worth it unless the AC was just too low rez to bear looking at any longer. Now I can take care of every stair-stepped panel line and marking in just a few minutes (2-10 depending on the extra detailing desired).

My current process is:
    1. Make a backup copy of the original texture
    2. Save a copy as a TIFF
    3. Run it through Gigapixel AI at 4x to get a 4096 texture
    4. Take the enlarged TIFF back to Photoshop, fix any AI errors and add any extra detailing
    5. Resize it back to 2048 using bicubic sharper
    6. Save it as a DXT1 dds file with the original name
    7. Delete the TIFF files because they're hugh

My only wish is that Topaz would let me work directly with the dds files. Since I can do step 3 in large batches, it would eliminate a couple of the non-value added steps that take longer than the intelligent enlargement process itself.
    Interesting. I had not used TIFF so far but it seems better than using bmp or jpg for Gigapixel AI.
    The bicubic sharpener is a PSP app?
    Are all aircraft dds files DXT1 as opposed to DXT3 which is what I have used for airfields?

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

It's a built in mode for resizing images in Photoshop.

DXT3 or DXT5 are only used when there's a need for an alpha layer, and generally the aircraft textures don't need one.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Of all the times I've flown over Mt. Etna and seen the smoke rising out of the crater, I've never noticed the crashed P-40 down there before.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020

MAW 1943 Missions

There are a number of missions made for stock MAW, in the 1943 era. I quickly modified one to operate in MAW 1943. There are a handful made by Corpse Grinder which could be ported to MAW 1943 with a minimum of tweaking. I tried a PM to Corpse Grinder (Justin ?) but never got a reply giving me permission to do a conversion.

Scott, I'm sure you could quickly get some missions from MAW up and running in MAW 1943, using the lovely Fw190s, the Beauforts, Hudsons, Spitfires, Typhoons and updated me109s which have been provided since the original MAW came out.

Had a couple of requests for the missions. Will ZIP them up and forward later.

Kev

WOW

Zip file runs to 303Mb

Way to big to email.

Uploaded to MEGA https://mega.nz/#!CVNUhKbS!MAClaM0Jd...OV8qGxQxiaj2qY

You do not need to create an account for MEGA, I have tried it by logging out and downloading.

Kev

MAW Missions

Quote Originally Posted by NSS View Post
    WOW

Zip file runs to 303Mb

Way to big to email.

Uploaded to MEGA https://mega.nz/#!CVNUhKbS!MAClaM0Jd...OV8qGxQxiaj2qY

You do not need to create an account for MEGA, I have tried it by logging out and downloading.

Kev
    Thanks Kev,downloading now,

Wow this is really large,so many missions,these will keep me out of the pup for hours,LoL.

Cheers,

John.

The missions themselves are not that large.

However many contain facilities. aircraft skins, spawns etc.

Enjoy.

Blog Entries
    Just got back from a fishing trip and got it downloaded. Will install tomorrow. Can't wait. Will keep me busy for quite some time !!! Thank you. Regards,Scott

SOH-CM-2020
    Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Been switching gears and been getting back into MAW. Really been enjoying MAW and MAW 1943. Both are great and a change of pace. Enjoy flying those Italian aircraft and all the P-40's...Wish we had someone who does missions. Some for MAW1943 would be great. MAW'43 has just about everything you need in one nice and easy-to-install expansion.Next to the ETO these are now my favorites. Any other MAW fans out there ?
    Hi Scott,

I've just had a session converting HouseHobbit's MAW mission set Tuskegee P-47s covering the period of the ANZIO invasion in 1944.

I've managed to convert 4 of the 8 missions so far. It takes a while, because I am substituting the upgraded aircraft/vehicles and ships of MAW 43 for the ones called for in these stock MAW missions. I use the lovely new fw 190s instead of the older model. I've thrown in some of Ndicki's MAW theatre DR2 ME109s as well, substituting for older German aircraft used in the original MAW. Also some tasty TK Ju88s.

HH has done a great job with existing facilities, to recreate the port and hill town of Anzio. Has anyone seen the LST_rocket operated in anger? It looks amazing, the rocket projectiles from just three of them dominate the visuals of the invasion fleet.

I've encountered a few problems like missing waypoints which I need to fix. In the first mission, the objective is a coastal invasion defence to be taken out by my flight of p-47s. Well that's a joke - the invasion armada is so massive that the target is obliterated before we even manage to take off! And in MAW 1943 I've fixed most of the ship xdps so the guns work, so possibly my invasion fleet is more effective than the one in MAW which Hobbit was using....

So I may have to amend the mission objectives so that the achieved message is not received whilst still trying to take off....

I hope Owen gets to see these missions in MAW 1943 on an uprated computer, they look fantastic.

Blog Entries
    Fantastic news! Great that there is still interest in MAW. Really enjoy MAW 1943 and all the work done on it. Wonderful to see some new/revised missions for it. One of my favorite installs of CFS3. Thanks for the work involved. You are a good man ! Wish HH was still around to do missions. He is greatly missed.Can't wait to see the finished product. Thank you Sir ! Regards,Scott

Members who have read this thread: 0