I rarely dabble in 'Plastic' but never say never.

Thread: I rarely dabble in 'Plastic' but never say never.

I rarely dabble in 'Plastic' but never say never.

Last weekend we had the Model Expo aka the original IPMS Nationals.
    Always a great way of catching up with old friends and finding out who is still alive!
    I was rather grumpy with the standard of aircraft modelling last year so I resurrected a long ago abandoned project and entered this Spitfire.
    Surprisingly it did OK for a modest (almost) 'Out of The Box' effort.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Looks good. Is this the Tamiya 1/48 Mk.Ia Spitfire?

Nice build! Just the right amount of weathering.....

That is a beautiful rendition of the MkII ! excellent finish work too..
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Hey Wombat,

That looks great

What did you use for the weathering?

Regards,
    Stratobat
    'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    That is a beautiful rendition of the MkII ! excellent finish work too..
    I don't want to be nit-picking, but according to my information the Spitfire L1016 was a Mk.I delivered on 16 June 1939 and handed over to 610 Sqn on 4 October 1939. It was lost on 27 May 1940 over Dunkirk, presumably shot down by a Messerschmitt Bf110. The pilot, Flying Officer Albert R.J. Medcalf, RAF (AAF) 90339, 610 Sqdn., age 26, went missing.

But I agree its a very nicely done model

Cheers,
    Huub

Hey Huub,

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    I don't want to be nit-picking, but according to my information the Spitfire L1016 was a Mk.I delivered on 16 June 1939 and handed over to 610 Sqn on 4 October 1939. It was lost on 27 May 1940 over Dunkirk, presumably shot down by a Messerschmitt Bf110. The pilot, Flying Officer Albert R.J. Medcalf, RAF (AAF) 90339, 610 Sqdn., age 26, went missing.
    Thanks for the info

Regards,
    Stratobat
    'If the literal sense makes good sense, seek no other sense lest you come up with nonsense'

Just another Tamiya OOB Huub, I was going to use some after market decals but the object of the exercise was to avoid any add-ons so I'll accept your correction as intended.
    A little picking of nits is always welcome.

My grumpy outlook was stirred by the way people spend A$50:00+ on a kit and then another A$100:00+/- on assorted extras that often are never seen or could be easily scratched up.
    Weathering is my usual pastel and/or chalk sticks with a few light washes of assorted drawing inks, in retrospect I should have used less of the dark tones.
    I did make up the harness with some stray P/E buckles (out of the spare parts box) and some strip paper which cost nothing.
    FTR I don't enter the competition side of these shows, as the usual suspects tend to spend a year and a lot of $$$ in an attempt to add another 'pot' to their collection.
    Thanks for the compliments, all I really did was open the box and finish off another Spitfire to add to my hanger, at times it's relaxing to stitch together some nice styrene just because I can.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Very nicely done!
    I also like the way that this model doesn't have all its guts hanging out as appears to be the style of those who want to show off internal detail at the expense of the beautiful shapes of the aeroplane.

Unfortunately I have never developed the skills to do this kind of thing very well.

- Ivan.

Members who have read this thread: 2