End of the line

Thread: End of the line

End of the line

Yesterday, after twelve and a half years and more than 2200 hours in the Steam release alone, I've uninstalled FSX from my PC (after having done so from my laptop a few days earlier). It hadn't gotten much use in a year because in light of X-Plane 11, I finally realized how old it actually got. Not necessarily because of the visuals and better framerates alone, but rather because of a lot of small things like portability, multiplatform compatibility (Linux!), development potential, quality of life (free camera, quick views, etc.) and a much better base systems simulation out of the box (multiple batteries, bleed air, oxygen, FMS, etc.).
    I'd lie if I said that I didn't miss anything about MS' last installment of a classic flight simulation, such as weather depiction and AI/ATC, but overall, it isn't enough to make me stick it out until other civilian flight sims are on the same level in those areas.

Microsoft and Aces did a tremendous job with the series, not just providing a solid base program for Joe and Jane Average to get their taste of being in control of an aircraft, but also offering a still much better documented SDK and assorted tools than any other non-MS flight simulator (yes, this is still the case). This SDK, combined with a helpful, like-minded and in parts very experienced community, allowed me to move from casual consumer to nerd status, experimenting with just about any of FSX' core components (except mesh generation and full on sound packages). That way, I found out or confirmed personal skill preferences useful for furthering my professional career (scripting good, artsy things bad). So in the process of trying to improve upon the simulator or a preexisting add-on, I got to know FSX and its design aspects and philosophy pretty intimately, which also immensely helped me in largely coming to terms with its limitations when actually flying in it.
    To compensate my lack of background knowledge when tackling certain tasks, I hit the books about all things related to aviation. This was a better incentive than any university class could ever provide, because I got to go at my own pace and immediately apply what I've learned.
    My relationship with FSX peaked with my master thesis, for which FSX indirectly offered a subject as I just coudn't find a good tool to derive jet engine performance tables for AIR files from. I asked my turbomachinery professor about such a tool, one thing led to another and I was taked with finding out what's avalable and trying to come up with a tool that's better and more flexible. The result was programmed in a niche version of MATLAB and put out resonable performance data for a CFM 56-7, but it did not fullfill our requirmenets due to too stringent linearity and too many unknowns when not having very specific and comprehensive source data available (the CFM 56 is well documented). Regardless of that, my professor was content with my methodology, documentation and analysis, so I got a B+, but still had no tool to populate AIR file engine tables with. Yet, I am eternally grateful that FSX basically helped me finish my master's degree (I unsuccessfully had tried to find a thesis position in numerous companies before).

While cleaning up the rubble after uninstallation, all of my development work and other stuff I've tediously collected was moved to an external hard drive in case of a potential, yet unlikely, relapse. Digging though all of this made me realize that in the context of time spent with FSX I feel like I didn't achieve much in terms of productivity. On the release side, I'm counting 10 aircraft mods, 7 aircraft, around 50 repaints, 5 gauges, 2 sceneries and 2 tools for ten years of development activity. A lot of these involved countless grueling twelve plus hour all-nighter sessions glued to the computer just to satisfy my quality standards, but it just pales in comparison to other devs' achievements. What's worse is that despite all this effort, quite a few projects never made it to release or didn't receive the update they deserve, mostly because I guess I just burned out in the process. Lack of time after having started work after university also contributed as it has become very hard to have enough time available to build up a good flow (or "get into the groove") for a thorough development session (this also hampers doing dev work for X-Plane, by the way).

If I had to pick a favourite project, my immediate answer would be Maintenance Income Tool, just because it provided quite a bit of purpose and uncertainty (probabilistic failures!) to flying with relatively little means. I consider it probably the only project that is close to perfection and I am working on an X-Plane version just because I'm missing it so much.

From all the flying I've done in twelve years, the one trip that sticks out the most is my Erie Canal tour from the lake to the Hudson. Being an engineering marvel in its day, I found that the remains of the old canal (well, except that bridge over the Gennessee) are almost perfectly represented when using Ultimate Terrain X and therfor, I was basically flying mouth agape most of the time, my imagination running wild all the way (I had read up on it and the area beforehand). Sadly, the trip report and associated screenshots did not survive the death of its host sites.
    Doing MI Tool powered cargo or charter runs across the continental US in modded Metroliners, DC-9s, 727s and Learjets with a "Where do I want to go today?" attitude were also fun, as was flying the flags of airlines long dead in my 1980s themed environment.

All in all, I've had a pretty good run with FSX. Probably the greatest honor I can bestow upon those who made the simulator and all of the additional content that I had installed happen, is that I consider MS' (classic) flight simulators as a defining part of my (adult) life.

So farewell, you memory constrained and still surprisingly awfully running piece of code. I never thought I'd get sentimental for you but here I am with a wall of text.

B.

P.S: My webpage with all my add-ons will stay online and I'll try to provide what I can in terms of support for my stuff. I'll also read along here (out of habit) and, as usuall will be low key jealous about all the

P.P.S: I'm open to transferring projects into capable hands for updating and/or completion.

Respect, Bjoern! I'll also say following your developments over the years (mostly at our favourite developers' site) gave me a better appreciation of how much work you've actually expended on the sim; so you've fully earned your title of the world's 2nd worst developer*. I still can't get used to the idea of you holding down a proper job in aerospace engineering, but I've enjoyed the banter on so many threads there as well as here.

I hope you're not going to disappear entirely!

(*lest anyone not get the joke, ask yourself who is the world's worst developer? )
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries
    Were going to miss your works B. You gave us a great line and a big part of your life....Thank you for all you gave to us.
    And enjoy the next phase of your free time....Get out their and have fun my friend....
    Craig.
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    I still can't get used to the idea of you holding down a proper job in aerospace engineering, but I've enjoyed the banter on so many threads there as well as here.
    Funnily enough, anything related to aerospace engineering I've touched professionally so far ended with me quitting after not too long out of frustration. I guess there still is a difference between romanticism and reality.
    At the moment, I get to have fun testing what amounts to overengineered (empty) trash cans for hazardous materials and hold the title of "grumpiest morning person in human history". There are no suits involved.

I hope you're not going to disappear entirely!
    Nah, I'll still be a PITA when needed here or over at Bill's Grey Eyebrow Tavern(TM) (where is the rascal anyway?).
    And it's sad to say, but the community for that other simulator is much more fertile ground for reality checks by sledge hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by trucker17 View Post
    Were going to miss your works B. You gave us a great line and a big part of your life....Thank you for all you gave to us.
    And enjoy the next phase of your free time....Get out their and have fun my friend....
    Craig.
    Thanks. Time to hit the bar, I guess.

I get it Bjoern, as an Aero Engineer I've spent my entire life working as an Mechanical Engineer.

Thanks for all of your work, but just so I'm clear, you aren't leaving simming, you're just going full time into X-Plane, correct?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sundog View Post
    I get it Bjoern, as an Aero Engineer I've spent my entire life working as an Mechanical Engineer.

Thanks for all of your work, but just so I'm clear, you aren't leaving simming, you're just going full time into X-Plane, correct?
    Thanks Bjoern,

Its people like you who make this hobby and obsession of our so great. As a very average non digital tech person, reading the items that you and others like you have produced, increase my awe and enthusiasm. I am still using FSX Acceleration, but am going to have to take the great leap into the unknown, some time in the future-who knows, perhaps X-Plane. As Sundog indicates, hope to still see you around. Again, Many Thanks

Bjoern, thanks for your efforts. You've been a very important person in our hobby. Sorry, I can't find the words.

I want to thank you personally for your contribution in general, and more specific your constructive comments during the early development of my D.21. They meant a lot if not everything for me. I was very premature then, but I was so humbled that you tolerated, accepted and liked both me and my work.

Thanks a lot mate. If you need me, just give a shout.

Daan
    dutcheeseblend.blogspot.nl

Living by the grace of our Lord

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    ... I get to have fun testing what amounts to overengineered (empty) trash cans for hazardous materials and hold the title of "grumpiest morning person in human history"....

..... And it's sad to say, but the community for that other simulator is much more fertile ground for reality checks by sledgehammer.
    Then the Tin Man hasn’t left the building. Those poor souls!!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Bjoern,

First, let me thank you from the bottom of my heart for all that you have done to improve and further the FSX community.

Second, I am glad that not only did you help us, but in doing so, you were able to use your experiences in FSX development to further your career.

Third, it was a pleasure to watch you evolve from a mindset of turbine engines only to embracing aircraft with engines that suck, squeeze, bang, and blow.

Fourth, guess you won't be doing that Beech G or H18 that I tried to convince you to do, at least not for FSX.

Fifth, it's been a great ride, thank you for taking us along on your journey.

Sixth, best wishes for great success in your career and with your dive into X-Plane.

Take care, and don't be a stranger to the forums here at SOH.

Mike
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Thanks for everything Bjoern. Good luck in your future endeavors. Hope you won't be a stranger here at SOH FSX. Your help is always appreciated. Take care!!!

Tom
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

That is a great and fitting goodbye from you to FSX Bjoern. I always enjoy your analysis and critique on here and FS Developer, which is both witty and wise, and I also appreciate the great work you have contributed over the years. I have personally used several of your mods (ERJ and Metroliner) which are great and really in depth.

I like your analysis of the benefits of FSX, and I agree wholeheartedly, and it has been so much more than pure entertainment for myself too. Since first installing FSX back in 2009 I have learned so much about PCs, development, aviation, geography, and I'm sure the list goes on.

I really get a giggle every time I read your tag line too .

All the best Sir, I'm sure we will see you around the traps.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

As the post quoting function refuses to work yet again, I'll have to extend a general "Thanks" to everybody who responded.

I'm not leaving altogether, only moving a few subforums down to the X-Plane section and taking it easy there.

Daan:
    Hey, you've been pouring quite a bit of time and effort into your Fokkers. How can this not be rewarded with support and appreciation?!

Mike:
    My first X-Plane payware aircraft purchase was a DC-3.
    As for Beech 18s, I figure Milton is ultimately a better authority than I ever was. Maybe he can be interested in doing the G/H18 with its differing wing.

Respect for doing this.
    Has it got anything to do with recent developments?

I'm also about to bin the veritable FSX but in my case I'll be committing full time to P3D (which I have on the same SSD - and I'm up at that 75% full level and seeing perf drops as a result) so one of them's got to go!

I'll almost certainly have FSX(2) back on the machine around 2020 or so ;-)
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Bloody hell another departee. Sad to see you go, you 1-11 fix for me was a highlight.

Instead of deleting FSX I find myself going backwards, I am using FS9 more and more often these days. For one thing with mods etc it looks almost as good as FSX and there is so much freeware for it and the big plus is it boots up in a reasonable amount of time.
    Intel i5-10600K 4.10 GHz 12 Core CPU
    Asus ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming LGA1200 Z590-E Motherboard
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
    Water Cooler - CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT
    Corsair 850W PSU
    MSI RX580 Radeon Armor 8Gb
    Windows 10 Home Premium 64
    3 x 21" Acer LED screens

Yep I have XP11 installed but there is just so much stuff, addons purchased and things I cannot do in XP11 that I can in FSX that I shall be using both, and Condor 2 for a dedicated soaring space - the cost of a second hard disk these days is relatively cheap all things considered.

Thanks for your company Björn . Perhaps you will not admit, but you have grown milder over the years. Avoid getting dull.......

And don't become a stranger!
    Huub

I appreciate your involvement here and your contributions to the hobby over the years. Cheers!

wait - was this thread supposed to be about something...? or just more damn Bjoern spam

thought so.

FSX isn't going away any more than CFS2 or FS9...and sadly - neither is B-jorn really "Nah, I'll still be a PITA when needed here" (so true already- but "needed"??) lol

enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Bjoern, just wanted to relay my sincere appreciation for all of your contributions and colorful banter through the years. I presently use MIT routinely, but unfortunately the only way I've learned to keep the "business" floating is using the An-2. That carries a lot of cargo for cheap. I'm still learning..

Thank you for all you've done and may you have blue skies where ever you fly.. Terry

Good summary, positive finish onto a new platform X Plane with much improved functionality and endless potential (especially Linux based). I have enjoyed the mods and advice over the years (BAC 1-11 Metroliner) but I agree the MIT is a gem and much appreciated.

Having shared a similar journey - this week marked the end of my efforts with FSX as well. (Mostly improvements and scenery).

Still good to see you have the hardened engineers view of aviation as we pointy end drivers would say, typical black hand!. Hah! See you over at X Plane.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I also just deleted my FSX after going to XP-11. Although there is nothing wrong with FSX and I had mucho add ons, it was time to move on.

I did the same thing with FS9 but long after FSX came out, it was a slide show on my old computer. I had many great flights on FSX and will continue to monitor what’s happening. There are some aircraft and sceneries that I wish were in XP 11.

To all you old timers who seduced me to the dark side (FSX), thanks for all the cookies.

Bob

Thanks some more, guys.

I've spent the entire week setting up a Linux partition on my current laptop. You haven't lived unless you've spent three days trying to cook up scripts and work around some pretty stupid idiosyncracies of the operating system to get your touchpad to switch off when you plug in a USB mouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganter View Post
    Respect for doing this.
    Has it got anything to do with recent developments?
    Nah. I can't see myself using the upcoming MSFS20 at this point as it still only raises a single of my eyebrows instead of both.

Quote Originally Posted by Naismith View Post
    Bloody hell another departee. Sad to see you go, you 1-11 fix for me was a highlight.
    That was an interesting project in its own way. I've never dealt with uncompiled MDL files before and it really taught me a lot about how the information you see in your modeling tool is stored before it is binarized for the simulator.
    Fun fact: The object files used by X-Plane are unbinarized and can therefor be read and edited with a simple text editor like Notepad.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    Having shared a similar journey - this week marked the end of my efforts with FSX as well. (Mostly improvements and scenery).
    Welcome to the club!

Still good to see you have the hardened engineers view of aviation as we pointy end drivers would say, typical black hand!
    Well, it's more in the mental arena. Any attempts at dirty hands usually yield a facepalm from my colleagues.

Quote Originally Posted by heywooood View Post
    wait - was this thread supposed to be about something...? or just more damn Bjoern spam

thought so.

FSX isn't going away any more than CFS2 or FS9...and sadly - neither is B-jorn really "Nah, I'll still be a PITA when needed here" (so true already- but "needed"??) lol
    Love you too, hun.

Quote Originally Posted by simtech View Post
    I presently use MIT routinely, but unfortunately the only way I've learned to keep the "business" floating is using the An-2. That carries a lot of cargo for cheap. I'm still learning..
    I never could make money with a Learjet and MITool's default settings either. But I've written the manual to help people adapt the tool to whatever works for a particular aircraft. Lowering the payload rate divider (or whatever it was called) usually nets better payouts. And if you run out of dough, just fix up you balance by editing the save file. Nobody and nothing will judge you.

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    erhaps you will not admit, but you have grown milder over the years. Avoid getting dull.......
    That's what 39 work hours a week will do to you. Now imagine my dullness if I went for the standard "wife-house-kids" route...or better don't. It also scares the living daylights out of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    I appreciate your involvement here and your contributions to the hobby over the years. Cheers!
    I'm counting various Mirage III models and a Rafale B and M for X-Plane so far, if you want to expand you site's sim portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    There are some aircraft and sceneries that I wish were in XP 11.
    Yep. There were some cool releases for FSX the last time I've used it. But after my initial envy, I'm always thinking of the necessary modifications for panel state saving and switch sounds and bugfixes that I'd have to make, which helps quite a lot.

Members who have read this thread: 1