HE-100 Recommendation
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HE-100 Recommendation

HE-100 Recommendation

Is there a decent HE-100 available for FSX? I'm having trouble finding one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks.

JAMES
    "Deserve's got nothing to do with it."

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

That's a port of Warbirlovers CFS2 model, Possibly made native? Still CFS2 vintage, very good in it's day, but that was well over a decade ago. Probably the only option though.

Albeit a bit dated, not too bad at all. No 2D cockpit and it's not FSX Native. I downloaded that model quite some time ago and got it to work in FS9 with a bit of tweaking. Does fine in FSX, or it did when my gaming machine was still up and running. Virtual Cockpit is very functional. Might be a contender for someone to take under their wing and clean it up just a bit.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

I took a look after installing and while it would otherwise be a candidate for some VC updating and external overhaul there are several problems that make me not interested. Most prominent is that there is a fair amount forward of the panel that is blocked out by a placeholder so you can see through to the runway around the rudder pedals and a larger area between the rudder pedals and the firewall. . .not to mention the entire prop (except for a small section of the tips.

The other problem is that there isn't any fuel information so you can't even start it. I checked the cfg file and other than the title [fuel] and one line for the fuel type there's nothing to indicate number of tanks, total fuel, etc. When I went to check the Fuel and payload section, the fuel portion was grayed out and indicated a -13.65lbs. I tried adding a section from a similar type to see if it would allow the airplane to start but it made no difference so there must be more to this than my very limited knowledge of the cfg file.

Too bad actually because it does have potential but there are too many problems to get by first.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by falcon409 View Post
    I took a look after installing and while it would otherwise be a candidate for some VC updating and external overhaul there are several problems that make me not interested. Most prominent is that there is a fair amount forward of the panel that is blocked out by a placeholder so you can see through to the runway around the rudder pedals and a larger area between the rudder pedals and the firewall. . .not to mention the entire prop (except for a small section of the tips.

The other problem is that there isn't any fuel information so you can't even start it. I checked the cfg file and other than the title [fuel] and one line for the fuel type there's nothing to indicate number of tanks, total fuel, etc. When I went to check the Fuel and payload section, the fuel portion was grayed out and indicated a -13.65lbs. I tried adding a section from a similar type to see if it would allow the airplane to start but it made no difference so there must be more to this than my very limited knowledge of the cfg file.

Too bad actually because it does have potential but there are too many problems to get by first.

First of all, thank you for answering. I downloaded the file you located from Simviation and encountered the same problems you mention; I couldn't get the a/c to start. I had better luck than you, however. I cut and pasted the [fuel] parameters from an HE-112 into the He-100D aircraft.cfg and got the engine to keep running. I have no idea how accurate this is to the actual plane, but I was able to get it flying. I also transferred a Bf-109 engine control window into the panel config. I feel better about this last because according to my reading the Bf-109E and He-100 used the same Daimler-Benz engine. I also replaced the prop3 texture with something a little less obtrusive. As you mention, the forward view is limited in the VC, but once off the runway this is less of a problem. I'm also considering adding a Bf-109 2D panel, probably from an "f" model. So far, I haven't been able to solve the problem with the transparent cockpit floor. The pilot is also invisible in DX10 on my system, sort of like Predator.

I have an old issue of Wings or Airpower that features the HE-100, but so far I haven't been able to find it. I started looking last night, but just then my refrigerator started acting up, so I still have no info on the fuel tanks. If I find any, I'll definitely post.

Many Thanks,

JAMES

PS Who is that little cutie in your avatar? You must get asked all the time.

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

Quote Originally Posted by Eoraptor1 View Post
    . . . . . As you mention, the forward view is limited in the VC, but once off the runway this is less of a problem. . . . . . . So far, I haven't been able to solve the problem with the transparent cockpit floor. The pilot is also invisible in DX10 on my system, sort of like Predator.

Many Thanks,
    JAMES

PS Who is that little cutie in your avatar? You must get asked all the time.
    If I remember right, the placeholder that is blocking the view and causing the missing textures is an mdl problem and requires the source code to fix (actually it's just that as old as this model is, the material codes were never meant to work beyond what it was built for. Material codes change over time as new Sims are released). It's possible it can be corrected in MCX, but that's well beyond my scope of knowledge.

The little one with me is my Great Granddaughter.

Current System Specs:

I went back to this airplane and because I had closed out a previous flight with the aircraft engines running, the HE-100 was running when I loaded it into the Sim. I didn't attempt a shutdown just to see if I could get it to crank, instead opting to leave well enough alone.

Looking closer at the rudder pedals I found that actually there aren't holes in the floor at all the problem is the alpha for the rudder pedals, it just makes it appear that the floor is being knocked out by the pedals. I tried a few variations for the alpha but no change, so again it's a material setting issue. It does fly nicely and the gauges can be sharpened up by changing the "pixelsize" in the VC sections of the panel config to 1024,1024. I am going to replace the prop disc blur texture to something more realistic. Beyond that it will take someone with a keen knowledge of MCX to decide if the placeholder can be cleared up to allow the textures to fill in the gaps.

Current System Specs:

For easier starting...make this change in the [piston engine] normalized_starter_torque=0.025000
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Here's the culprit at the heart of the problem. I changed the two VC placeholder colors to 1,1,1 to allow them to show up.

Current System Specs:

I'm willing to bet that somebody like Mike Pook or A.F.Scrub over a Simviation could fix this problem. They do a lot of these type mods and fixes for older vintage aircraft to work in FSX. Robert

Quote Originally Posted by mcanx View Post
    I'm willing to bet that somebody like Mike Pook or A.F.Scrub over a Simviation could fix this problem. They do a lot of these type mods and fixes for older vintage aircraft to work in FSX. Robert
    I've e-mailed Michael with some pics of the problem to see what his take is and if anything can be done given the age of the model.

Current System Specs:

The little one with me is my Great Granddaughter.
    That one will break some hearts with that smile. Happy belated Father's Day.

JAMES

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

I have soldiered on with this model, despite the glaring problem of the placeholder. I've redone all the textures for the "PS" version in HiRes, redrawn the gear doors and wheel wells to add a bit more realism. Going to upgrade the textures for the pilot who currently looks too much like a blow up doll. I have tried delving into material settings using MDLMat, but that's such a shot in the dark that it's too much aggravation to mess with. Hoping to hear from Michael Pook. . .maybe he has some insight into how to correct this, short of going through the conversion process (I'd rather stick a needle in my eye than try to learn that process. . .yes I know. . .it's quite easy, lol).

Hopefully I'll have something from Michael soon.

Current System Specs:

The Pilot figure is beyond help, lol. . .he looks like a blow up despite enlarging the texture and adding better textures, lol. . .it is what it is.

Current System Specs:

I heard from Michael this morning and as soon as I get his permission I will release his updated version. There is still a slight problem with the placeholder but only in that it still covers part of the prop from the VC view. Otherwise, the open floor and rudder pedals have been fixed. It remains that the only real fix is to convert it to native FSX, but we have it in the best shape it will be without the conversion.

Current System Specs:

I have received Michael's permission to release the current model, however he suggested also getting permission from the original designer. I will make every attempt to get in contact with Gerald Lindell or George Lindell. . .both were involved in most of the models I found that were produced by Gerald. If I have not heard from either of them within a reasonable amount of time (end of this week) I will post the current version with all credits to those who had a hand in getting it to this stage in it's rather long life (approx 17yrs, from CFS to FSX).

UPDATE: Not surprisingly, the e-mail addresses failed. . .a permanent error, according to the email program. If anyone knows how to contact either of these gentleman let me know. Just to be clear, anyone who has had "recent" contact with either of the two mentioned above. Please don't go searching for old versions of their airplanes and post one of those addresses. . .I've already tried that, thanks.
    Last edited by falcon409; June 20th, 2019 at 05:31.

Current System Specs:

I have received Michael's permission to release the current model, however he suggested also getting permission from the original designer. I will make every attempt to get in contact with Gerald Lindell or George Lindell. . .both were involved in most of the models I found that were produced by Gerald. If I have not heard from either of them within a reasonable amount of time (end of this week) I will post the current version with all credits to those who had a hand in getting it to this stage in it's rather long life (approx 17yrs, from CFS to FSX).

UPDATE: Not surprisingly, the e-mail addresses failed. . .a permanent error, according to the email program. If anyone knows how to contact either of these gentleman let me know. Just to be clear, anyone who has had "recent" contact with either of the two mentioned above. Please don't go searching for old versions of their airplanes and post one of those addresses. . .I've already tried that, thanks.
    Whatever happens, falcon, thank you for your efforts. All I was looking for was a recommendation, but you've gone above and beyond. Thank you again.

JAMES

-William Munny
    Unforgiven (1992)

You could see if there's a contact address on their website? http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/tcwdt/index.html

Or failing that, ACWAI has recently returned to the fold in the CFS2 forum, he may be able to contact Gerald?

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    FWIW I moved the He-112's fuel section into the aircraft's .cfg file, then also grafted in the -112's cockpit but it's a bit dated as well. Didn't get around to trying the 109's cockpit as was previously described. I took a second look at those external textures for the -100 and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    You could see if there's a contact address on their website? http://www.angelfire.com/falcon/tcwdt/index.html

Or failing that, ACWAI has recently returned to the fold in the CFS2 forum, he may be able to contact Gerald?
    I checked their website, but it's just a very dated site, the last information was on the release of the BF-109 10 years ago. It is a one page site with no contact info. I don't know who ACWAI is, so unless they go by another moniker that may not be very reliable contact. Not to be rude, but honestly, I don't intend to chase ghosts to try to get an ok on a 12 year old freeware model. I will release it this weekend with full credit to the original author and Michael Pook for his updates. If Mr Lindell suddenly surfaces and tells me I shouldn't have done that. . .I'll deal with it at that time.

Thanks for the suggestions though and if you know this ACWAI and he has a name that will be recognized by the messenger (PM) system here I'll gladly send him information on what I need.

Current System Specs:

SOH-CM-2024
    Greetings, All-
    I have had his aircraft flying in FSX for awhile now... I don't have any trouble starting her up, and I can't remember if I ever did... visually, the only thing I notice is around the rudder pedals, besides the usual anomalies form porting over, such as the prop. The prop, though, isn't a big deal- I don't recall for sure, but I probably did what I usually do when I port over- add a Banana Bob prop texture, and reduce the alpha of the prop disc material to 1 or 2 using MdlMat.

Wish I could be of more help, but I did want to say that it will work for the most part in FSX, and don't forget that Cees Donker made a nice repaint for it- considering it's the only one available, it works for me...

Have Fun! -Mike Z.

P.S. ACWAI is Andrew Wai, who has been more active recently, having reworked versions of his Spitfire, 109G, and P-51D over the last year, for CFS 2. -M.Z.

A few shots of the current state of the HE-100:

Current System Specs:

Feel free to be rude, I'm not easily offended.

Andrew Wai goes by two user names here, AcWai and acwai1, I think he uses the later one now though.
    Gerald Lindell used to go by the Warbirdlover name here at the SoH, but it's not listed any more.

Jamie

Jamie is correct, Andrew C. Wai is currently using the userid acwai1 at the Sim-Ouhouse. When you check his last upload, you can even find his e-mail address. Andrew is still very active in CFS2.

Cheers,
    Huub

Members who have read this thread: 1