Byron Originals "Striking back"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Byron Originals "Striking back"

Blog Entries

Byron Originals "Striking back"

Some of you know i am pretty much into anything flight related....
    Building model aircraft, building and flying giant scale model airplanes, flight sims, and flying in RL......
    My attraction to R/C planes all started with this video, and a few trips to see the show you are about to watch......
    Enjoy.
    https://youtu.be/XdFXHj_jjhY
    SoCal Y22......North Pole, Alaska

Having watched "Striking Back" many times in the past I whole heartedly agree with you.
    I never made it to large scale R/C, just helicopters (30 years ago without all the computer assist they have nowadays) and sailplanes.

Hey Craig, have you seen Santa Claws yet? Having fun flying the Husky are you? How's the Goose, hope you got a nice warm hangar for her?

Show us some pics of your new spread!

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Blog Entries
    Hey tufun. I love it up here....I'll get some picts posted on the house. And yes the Goose has a nice warm hanger....Hell even the floors in it are heated.....LOL....
    The Husky, is a great plane for bush flying, and the landings here at home...And she is really stable and easy to fly...very forgiving...I am hoping that in a couple of months i can start putting the goose back together....It was really painful to tear her apart again before she was finished. But to get her loaded onto the flatbed it had to be done......
    Yeah not sure about seeing santa yet...LOL...But their are some strange looking green lights all over at night....

I see Eielson AFB is having an airshow next month on the 13th. I miss those. The last one I saw was with A-10's doing the crop dusting maneuvers. -TeD

Blog Entries
    Yeah,,,,I plan on going this year....

Quote Originally Posted by trucker17 View Post
    Some of you know i am pretty much into anything flight related....
    Building model aircraft, building and flying giant scale model airplanes, flight sims, and flying in RL......
    My attraction to R/C planes all started with this video, and a few trips to see the show you are about to watch......
    Enjoy.
    https://youtu.be/XdFXHj_jjhY
    Byron's "Striking Back" show was the highlight of his annual gathering of Giant Scale pilots and planes, in Ida Grove, Iowa. The meet was held, literally, in his back yard! I was just getting into giant scale R/C myself when the first gathering occurred, and went to, and flew in every one, from the first one through 1988, when I moved to San Diego for 7 years. On my return to Iowa in 1995, the show had moved to Ankeny, Iowa, at the south end of the Ankeny Regional airport, KIKV. The remains of the set can still be seen on the AirNav site https://www.airnav.com/airport/KIKV It has not been used, that I know of, since around 2005. (Correct me if I am wrong.)

The manager of my LHS still has his original Byron F6F Hellcat which he flew in the Striking Back show. All of the BIG multi-engine aircraft are kept in the museum at the airport.
    We just received the flyer for the first full scale airshow / Giant scale 80" MINIMUM wingspan R/C Fly-in to be held at the site since it's closing. Aug. 23-25th. https://www.ciairshow.com/?fbclid=Iw...JASCIQy3z0v5WA
    It is actually the Ottumwa Airshow and Jet Rally, moved temporarily because of work being done at the Ottumwa airport. Unfortunately, my only 80+" span aircraft, a MkIXc Spitfire, crashed last summer. I will be there for the show, however.

Back on topic: Your place is a dream come true, I'm sure. Beautiful
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X
    MSI MAG B650 Tomahawk WIFI/BT
    64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000MHz DDR5 C40 (4x16)
    Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX7900XT 20GB DDR6
    Corsair 5000D Airflow Case
    Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD P/S
    Liquid Freezer II 360 water cooling
    C:/ WD Black 4TB SN770 Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    D:/ Crucial P3 PLUS 4TB Gen 4 NVMe M.2 SSD
    Samsung 32" Curved Monitor
    Honeycomb and Saitek Flight Equipment

Well my Me109E has only 42" wing span with a 7x4 prop. 80" wing span for a fighter is huge!

Blog Entries
    Yep that is huge for a fighter. I have the Ziroli 125 inch B25, I'm building it from scratch. It will be fiberglassed when done. I also have his P40, F4U Corsair, And a Grumman Goose i am building from plans i had blown up to a 115 inch wing span.....I have already bought the engines for the B25 and the Corsair. but at 2.500 per engine....all 3 are 9 cyl Radials.
    This video shows off their 7 cyl engine....
    https://youtu.be/pEYoaFDmgeA

And here is their web site......
    http://www.air-en.com/project/9-cyli...stroke-petrol/

The engine tech these days are phenomenal! I built a large scale P-40 and Corsair many years ago, but if today I would have this KOLM flat 6 for the P-40. Sounds authentic on the ground but would change the exhaust to individual stacks.

1/5th scale, is the scale all Byrons WWII stuff was. Most Giant scale stuff today is 1/5th or even 1/4, or larger! My Spitfire was 1/5th, 82", designed for 30cc engines, or 160 class electric, (mine.) At 21 lbs, it would do over 100mph in a shallow dive, and zoom vertical for almost 500ft. Most of todays 3D aircraft are in the 80-100" class, and can hover on the prop and dance for as long as the pilot wants to maintain, then climb straight out effortlessly. These are all 2stroke multi-cyl engines, or electric powered.

TuFun, your Me-109 is in the 1.2m .15 size class, I have 4 of those, all foam/electric, with full flaps and retracts. MkIX spit, F4U Corsair, T-28 Trojan, P-47 Razorback Thunderbolt.

I also have a 1/6 scale F7F Tigercat, electric powered by 2 1.20 class electric motors, turning 3 blade 9x6 props. At 21lbs, it is a very strong flyer.

And, I have two 2.1m wingspan, .45 class electrics, all foam Cessna 152 and CarbonCub (modern J-3 Super Cub) that are wildly aerobatic, while also so gentle they are excellent trainers. We use them as demo aircraft for spectators to fly (with buddy-box setup) at shows.

Craig, I want to get Ziroli's big D-18/C-45 Twin Beech.

The F-4C Phantom in my avatar is electric/foam, with full retracts and flaps. I it is 51.25" wspn. 61" long. Over 110mph.
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

The Me 109E is vintage made by MRC with an Enya .09 TV engine bought sometime in the early '80s. It's my first foam ready to fly aircraft. Something I can just throw it together for a quick flight. It is now retired. The MRC is stored back in its original box. Did a lot of control line flying then too.

Blog Entries
    Just think where the tech will be 20 years from now for R/C.....

VR would put you in the cockpit of your RC. Can't afford a real one fly RC!

Goggle tracking...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i47-BA_asA

Blog Entries
    Now that is a B25....

Super size me!

Blog Entries
    Yep and then some

Blog Entries
    Ok....you made me dig out the big guns....LOL......

https://youtu.be/FFrm4gyW0PA

Tufun, I remember that kit. Was a precursor to the ARFs we have today. MRC had some nice planes back then.

VR flying is here, and not expensive! Check the Horizon Hobby website. You can buy a complete, ready to fly, VR setup with fixed wing or drone (multi-rotor or quadcopter) with built in camera and video transmitter, 4.3" video reciever with recording, and headset for under $350. I have the quad setup, but haven't mastered it yet, (in VR flying.)

Craig, those are some awesome planes.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
    Don H

AMD Ryzen 5 7600X

Those RC drone racers are amazing, the best competition was at Dubai with a total prizes of $1 million dollars.

Cockpit VR with aircraft and helicopter.

Realistic RC cockpit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0fgJRFwKZ8

I remember going to the local RC airfield and seeing a prototype P-47 using a 4 stroke single (1980's). The aircraft was built from fiberglass. He was talking about how nose heavy it was and would make some design changes.

What a great show of WW2 fighters!

Local RC field.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Castle AirClub.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by modelr View Post
    Tufun, I remember that kit. Was a precursor to the ARFs we have today. MRC had some nice planes back then.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk
    Dug the plane out of storage, still look in good shape. Never crashed or hard landings.

Was more worried of tranport by the movers when being tranfreed from base to base in my military days.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MRC-1.jpg   MRC-2.jpg   MRC-3.jpg   MRC-4.jpg  

Blog Entries
    Yep still looks good bud.....

Blog Entries
    Ok.....If i were a Midget i would be all over this.......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ27C-rgdN4

Now if I can only find that radio. It's in another box fitted to an RC car. Anyways probably better to update that to.

Vintage 80's RC buggy kit cars, even had to build the shocks and fill with oil.

(old pic)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hiedi2.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0