Question for UT WRT the PG Dewoitine D338 for CFS2

Thread: Question for UT WRT the PG Dewoitine D338 for CFS2

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22 Question for UT WRT the PG Dewoitine D338 for CFS2

Hiya UT,

I have been playing around with AC that I have never messed around with before. One of them is your CFS2 version of Patrice Grange's Dewoitine D338.

Following your tip about using full up elevator trim to get her airborne works fine. No issues.

However, I am having trouble getting her down.

I have been giving her the same full up elevator trim on approach along with 0 flaps and so longs as I don't drop below 115 mps I am able to set her down and keep her nose up.

And then so long as i let her roll out and lose speed on her own all is well. But i keep running short of runway at about 55mph and when I apply breaks, she noses over and that's that.

It might just be that I have been trying to land on runways that are too short and I will go back and try again on longer runways.

Do you have a suggestions or is a longer runway the key?

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Icon9 for Maskrider

Hiya Chris,

Thanks for giving her a spin. Yes, I really struggled to get an acceptable airfile that was a compromise between AI & Player friendly. The model centre being so far aft from the Centre of Lift seems to cause lots of issues in developing a robust airfile that works for CFS 2.

I've learnt a couple of new tricks since I did this conversion back in 2016, & have access to a few more tools as well, so when I get a chance I will load her up & see if anything can be tweaked further.

In the meantime I can only suggest longer runways, or fake payload entries well aft of the C of G through the dp file so you don't nose over the minute you apply the brakes (of course that might mean she flies like a dog though )...

Hiya UT,

LOL!

Yes, the longer runway helps a lot. I was finally able to successfully get her down several time in a row late last night at Bonriki, Tarawa which has a nice 6600 foot runway.

Landing at around 115 mph once again and then just leaving her to do her own thing. Deceleration is very gradual until at last around 50 mph her tail finally touches down and then she starts losing speed very rapidly keeping her nose up. No need to ever apply the brakes at all although the last time I almost ran out of runway at around 24 mph and was able to brake her to a stop just at the end of the runway surface.

I noticed that her wheels sink nearly up to the rims even on the runway surface- was wondering if that may have anything to do with her wanting to nose over?

Oh, well- practice, practice.

Up in the air she handles quite nicely once you learn her little ways.

And she's a nice looking bird.

Cheers,
    MR

Last edited by MaskRider; June 15th, 2019 at 07:56.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Nice. Thanks UT!

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Given that this airframe was a very close match with similarly designed types during the same period as the Ju-52 and SM.82, i would think that using air file parameters from the available CFS2 models of these types would be a good baseline. There are Ju-52, SM.81 and SM.82 models available that don't have these issues.

"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan it right"

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Hiya UT,

LOL!

Yes, the longer runway helps a lot. I was finally able to successfully get her down several time in a row late last night at Bonriki, Tarawa which has a nice 6600 foot runway.

Landing at around 115 mph once again and then just leaving her to do her own thing. Deceleration is very gradual until at last around 50 mph her tail finally touches down and then she starts losing speed very rapidly keeping her nose up. No need to ever apply the brakes at all although the last time I almost ran out of runway at around 24 mph and was able to brake her to a stop just at the end of the runway surface.

I noticed that her wheels sink nearly up to the rims even on the runway surface- was wondering if that may have anything to do with her wanting to nose over?

Oh, well- practice, practice.

Up in the air she handles quite nicely once you learn her little ways.

And she's a nice looking bird.

Cheers,
    MR

MaskRider,

Those approach shots kind of remind me of the B-24 landing at the beginning of Unbroken.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

MR

Better contact points (courtesy of ACM2.5) for the cfg, plus a better airfile with better prop tables should give you better handling now. Original aircraft zip has been updated.

Icon22

Thanks UT!

Will download and go flying!

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Oh, yes. Much better behaved than before! One can safely start applying the brakes soon after touchdown and when you do she puts her tail down instead of putting her nose down as before.

I took the Air France - Saigon version up for a spin around Rota Island.

She is a very pretty AC. I hadn't noticed the gear cowls before. Very cool.

Thanks again!

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Members who have read this thread: 0