C-47 update
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: C-47 update

C-47 update

Some work-in-progress pics of the cockpit. We now have the pedestal modeled and installed. The shots show the model as renders and as it appears (for the first time) in 4.5. A lot of tweakage required for P3D use of PBR but we are getting there.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pedestal4.jpg   Pedestal3.jpg   SimCock1.jpg   SimCock2.jpg   SimCock3.jpg   SimCock4.jpg  

Amazing work!
    Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz Cpu, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB Videocard, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360 Water Cooler, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI Motherboard, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W Power Supply, G.SKILL 48Gb Ram @76000 MHz DDR5 Ram, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB Drive, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1z9r8r.jpg  
    "Ah, Paula, they are firing at me..."

-- Saint-Exupery

Army transport .
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Something's different.

Whilst researching material for the exterior model, I kept getting sidetracked by something I noticed about the restored "That's All Brother". The intakes for the engines are not the original type used in and pre-1944.

If you compare the original with the restored version, you will see that "TAB" was fitted with the early 1943 type intakes which are perched right at the cowling mouth. I've included several contemporary shots for comparison. The restored version appears to use the shorter variety aligned with the cowl-flaps. I wonder why?. Engine type difference? Non-availability of original type of intake? Has anyone seen a C-47 in captivity with the old-style intakes? I'm finding quite a few differences as I get into this build. Interesting.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dakota-DDay_5.jpg   150731130649-thats-all-brother-dday-plane-exlarge-169.jpg   zwqBL7Z.jpg   76162297_1459010398.jpg   8b05591v.jpg  

Blog Entries
    The clue is in the pic notations.

Those birds were in the Far East / PTO. So I believe that’s a tropical air filter, not unlike the Vokes filters on Hurricanes and other types in the Mediterranean theatre.

They being by far the rarer and likely hardest worked Daks, few likely survived through to restoration.

The only pics I’ve ever seen of those are serving in North Africa, CBI, and PTO. The post war Assam airlines’ Dakotas (likely ex-RAF birds from that theatre) also were thus equipped.

https://postimg.cc/mzPp5BXq
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_...e_pyramids.jpg
    https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/547187423451146156/

Hope this helps.

DL

Thanks for that. So, do we assume she was delivered, for some reason with tropical filters fitted? The known history states that she was delivered not long after being built, her first flight was March 8th 1944 so this is the only possible explanation I guess. Maybe she was intended for tropical use before being assigned to the "D"-Day mission.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    Thanks for that. So, do we assume she was delivered, for some reason with tropical filters fitted? The known history states that she was delivered not long after being built, her first flight was March 8th 1944 so this is the only possible explanation I guess. Maybe she was intended for tropical use before being assigned to the "D"-Day mission.
    That’s a reasonable guess.

The guys in charge of the "That's All Brother" restoration were on the hunt for all of the needed parts for those "wide mouth" carburetor intakes, but it is one of the things that just has not panned out yet. It obviously had them during the time of D-Day, but then had them removed at some point afterward (perhaps still in military service, or perhaps in its post-war civilian career).

As illustrated more clearly in the last image, these were additions/addons, with the original, smaller, carb scoops that "That's All Brother" already has, remaining the same. As far as I know there aren't any flying today with these scoops. If you search for images of the XC-47C, there are a lot of good photos of it showing more views of the same scoops.

The other thing they were trying to do for at least a couple years was track down any possible leads on the British-style "hedgehog" flame dampening exhaust stacks that it and some other D-Day C-47's had installed in England.

Also, it was mentioned as recently as this past December that they are still looking for a SCR-717 radome that the aircraft also originally had installed under the belly.

Thanks John. Yes, I have the radome and the hedgehogs but the air intake was eluding me.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    Bazz, a friend of mine who first flew DC-3s/C-47s for Airlines of NSW told me the intakes related to the engine type. Long one was for the P&W twin row radials while the shorter one was for the Wright cyclone engines. Not sure if it helps.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Hi Pat,
    There were quite a few different types of intakes for both engine types. The P&Ws had long, short and tropical filters, also dependent on ram air or not. Quite confusing when it comes to a particular single aircraft. An engine change to a late P&W 1830 often meant changes in filtering, oil systems and so on. So, an airframe like "TAB"'s that started life in one specification would have had many upgrades across its life, I am sure. It's when the P&Ws got changed out for Wrights that life gets interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by AussieMan View Post
    Bazz, a friend of mine who first flew DC-3s/C-47s for Airlines of NSW told me the intakes related to the engine type. Long one was for the P&W twin row radials while the shorter one was for the Wright cyclone engines. Not sure if it helps.
    Pat, this is a different kind of intake length difference and indeed has to do with the engine type. This difference is aft of the cowl flaps:

The intake extension Baz is questioning is forward of this point, up to the leading edge of the cowling.

Landing gear gets the treatment. Detailing out the exteriors has now begun.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gear2.jpg   Gear1.jpg  

Nice.
    Any skins preview? It would be nice if we will have any desert skin also, maybe from this:

Pegasus Squadron:

IAF:

http://www.vg-photo.com/articles/c47/

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

We haven't finalised the livery list yet. There will be a British Dakota represented and maybe an Australian one too. Then there's always the paintkit. Being full PBR, that's going to be interesting...

Here's a couple more renders for the Pratt and Whitney fans.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Engine2.jpg   Engine1.jpg  

Ho - ly - cow!!!! If only we had the possibility of smelling oil and rubber as well.....that's close to reality!!!!!
    Best regards, Manfred.

Nearly patented "Smell-o-sim". Aerosol puffer loaded with Avgas driven by a servo linked to switch-code in the sim. Didn't go ahead after wife told me to stop being silly.

Nice, cant wait .

Nearly patented "Smell-o-sim". Aerosol puffer loaded with Avgas driven by a servo linked to switch-code in the sim. Didn't go ahead after wife told me to stop being silly.
    Best regards, Manfred.

I'll take one! Will there be a future add-on for burned oil odor too?
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Sounds good to me. Don't forget to add a little essence of Skydrol to the mix.

That's not a Pratt & Whitney!

This is a Pratt & Whitney...

Sorry all you P&W fans, we got our Wrights mixed up with our lefts and created a bit of a hybrid. We inadvertently used a crankcase and a few other bits we had from a Wright Cyclone in another project to build the engines for the C-47/DC-3 project.

So we've scrapped it all and built a new P&W. We're about to test two of these in the C-47.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewPrattB.jpg   NewPrattA.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 0