Got a problem mates

Thread: Got a problem mates

SOH-CM-2024

Got a problem mates

It's on my brother's FSX-SE (Steam Edition). He has trees everywhere, even when scenery is set to normal or low. Her did not have this problem until he copied and pasted some files from his add-on scenery to his FSX-SE scenery folder, I know, wrong. Has anyone experienced this themselves? I have tried everything, I am at a loss. Thanks for any assistance.

Cazzie

Does he remember which files he pasted in? Maybe cut them out?
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

As it FSX-SE he could try verifying the files through Steam

I would first delete the FSX/scenery folder so it wont leave any of the spurious files in place and them
    in Steam right click on "Microsoft Flight Simulator X : Steam Edition" and chose "Properties" then in the "Local Files" tab click on "Verify integrity of game files" and let Steam do its thing.

Of course doing this may mess with any addons he has that need to put files in the scenery folder such as ORBX so he will need to fix them afterwards.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

Why not just re-load the FSX from Steam? He will have to add back some aircraft but if you back up the Airplanes file and just reinsert it in the new installation it should be good to go. Same for add-on scenery. Its a good time to do some house-keeping of stuff that is no longer needed. Not the end of the world.

The post just above this one has good advice also: verifying files

if you back up the Airplanes file and just reinsert it in the new installation it should be good to go. Same for add-on scenery.
    Depending on the aircraft and scenery involved it might be necessary to copy the effects and sounds folders too.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Working with Steam is just like working with FSX, except for a couple issues if you purchase DLC (I won't go into detail here unless someone asks). It's not wrong to copy. But it is recommended to backup before doing so.

In general, disk space is cheap, so, after I do an install, I copy the Effects, Sound, Gauges, Scenery\World, Scenery\Base, and Scenery\Global directories. That way I can always either use Winmerge to compare directories to see what's different, or just go back to default if I mess things up.

Like everyone else is saying, not knowing what he did, we can't suggest much else than make a back up of your airplanes etc, then uninstall and reinstall. There are a lot of dependencies that control the trees, although it does sound like something autogen related (Scenery\Global)?

SOH-CM-2024

Thanks much to all, I found his problem

In his base FSX-SE scenery folder, he had moved a file called mitigated. I took that alone out and it did away with the extra trees. I used the date as a clue and went back to the date he called me about the problem, May 19. Again thanks. and I lucked on this one.

Cazzie

Nah, I wouldn't say you lucked out on this one,... You just got a decent set a brains there...

"No reason to panic folks, we got this..."

Members who have read this thread: 0