Locked Outside Spot View - where are you?

Thread: Locked Outside Spot View - where are you?

Blog Entries

Locked Outside Spot View - where are you?

In FSX, my default exterior view (which I'd handily mapped to a joystick button) was locked spot view. So with one button, I'd quickly snap to a external view. And using the hat, I could quickly, and precisely, look around the aircraft.

Now, my "outside" view, when I hit "S", is this annoying sequence of panoramic swinging back and forth of the "camera" before it eventually (2-3 seconds) settles to a an outside view. Then, when I move the hat around, it swings lazily around somewhat randomly.

Is there a way to get this view, and be mapped to a button? Under the "views" menus in the controller, I see dozens of views, but not plain old locked spot view.

Am I missing something?

thanks,

dl

If you hit A to cycle through the external views Locked Spot is the next one after the annoying lagging view. Not sure what it's actually called to let you assign it to a switch though.

SOH Staff .."Bartender" AussieMan's Avatar
    ​Have you tried using the F11 key? F11 = Outside spot and F12 = Top don view.

Cheers
    Pat

"Some people might say that freedom is being alone in the bush with the only sounds being the murmurs from the birds ... but I believe freedom is at 5000 feet with no other sound than the engine roaring."- William Hutchison, a young man taken from us far too young (16).

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents.

Yes. F11 is the view. Annoying that I can’t map it to a button ... but a workaround I've come up with to map a button to “previous view”. Then, since I’ve got a button for VC view, I can then theoretically alternate between those two, which 80%, are the two views I use most.

It falls apart if I do a tower or flyby view on occasion ...

Ah well....

I haven't tried assigning the Outside Locked View with P3D itself, but was able to assign it, using FSUIPC, registered version! NC

Also, found this on a Flightsim.com forum:

You will need to edit (with Notepad) the Cameras.cfg in your "C:\Users\{your name}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX" folder.

1. make a copy of the current cameras.cfg as a backup.

2. Find the "HotKeySelect=3" line in the
    [CameraDefinition.003]
    Title = Spot

3. Move "HotKeySelect=3" line FROM the .003 block TO the end of the next block
    [CameraDefinition.004]
    Title = Locked Spot

this will cause Locked spot to display when you use default key F11 instead of Spot

an Optional change is to ADD the line
    CycleHidden = True
    to the end of the Spot view definition 3
    this will remove the spot view from showing up in the rotation of views using the 'A' key.
    Spot view will still display in the view menu but that will be the only way to get to it.

In P3Dv4 Key Assignments, F11 is mapped to "View Camera 3 (select)", which in theory means you should be able to map that view
    to any other key (but I've never actually tried to change myself).

-Rob

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    In P3Dv4 Key Assignments, F11 is mapped to "View Camera 3 (select)", which in theory means you should be able to map that view
    to any other key (but I've never actually tried to change myself).

-Rob
    That did it - all sorted.

Thanks a ton. Slowly slaying the remaining gremlins.

Members who have read this thread: 0