F-86 is now RoughMet controlled!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-86 is now RoughMet controlled!

F-86 is now RoughMet controlled!

Looks like the new OB Patch activated RoughMets on teh Sabre? SPEC files are completely gone. Which means that ALL v2.0 Paints that use the SPEC file swill be borked in the new 2.5.5 sim. I've started redoing my skins starting with the base metal and the 334th FIS F-86A. I've also taken this opportunity to Create MIPs which my previous skins lacked. I'm also adding refined areas for better overall textures.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Rick - Your F-86 looks fantastic! Makes me want to update DCS (which I haven't used for several months).
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Thanks, you should! I don't fly anything else anymore. I've uninstalled P3D. Until it gets to DCS visual standard throughout. Even with PBR right now, it's the same lighting engine which is archaic by comparison. I just can't fly around in P3D anymore. Join the dark side!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Based on how good your paints look (and the new TM Warthog I purchased 4 months ago), you are right! During Jan / Feb I was running the F-18 for 10 or 15 sessions and enjoyed shooting down enemy aircraft, but did not enjoy getting my azz whooped on most flights.

I haven't figured out how to just fly around without opposition kicking my butt as soon as I spawn! Any assistance appreciated.
    Jay
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Do you fly Multiplayer? Want to?

This is my group. We run a private discord called the BFM Barn with the v65th AGRS as the adjunct squadron. If you're interested you can apply. There's a Dollar ride. All info here:

https://v65th.wordpress.com/65th-iff-program/
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    Do you fly Multiplayer? Want to?

This is my group. We run a private discord called the BFM Barn with the v65th AGRS as the adjunct squadron. If you're interested you can apply. There's a Dollar ride. All info here:

https://v65th.wordpress.com/65th-iff-program/
    I am interested, but starting post summer (too many things need to get done while the weather is warm in MN, e.g., just finished re-installing a reconditioned "jug" on my O-360 today (valve guide issues discovered during annual a couple weeks ago) and, hopefully, a PMCF tomorrow (needs to get done now...no heat in hangar)).

I do not have too many DCS add-on aircraft, but I did get the F-5 (and, of course, the F-18). I would like to learn to fly the F-5 much better than I do now. (Same with the F-18!)

I don't remember the Navy having the equivalent of a "Dollar Ride", but I did get a great recruiting ride (T-34B loops and rolls).
    Jay

Excellent. Just put the word out when you're ready. We only have a few nonbRL pilots so you'll fit right in. Being a pilot is not a requirement but we don't teach basic airmanship, and so it helps to not have to worry about if a guy can aviate and communicate...can focus on the other stuff. Flying needs to be second nature to do the tactical stuff well. Good luck with your maintenence and annual! Hopefully doesn't cost more than you planned!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    Based on how good your paints look (and the new TM Warthog I purchased 4 months ago), you are right! During Jan / Feb I was running the F-18 for 10 or 15 sessions and enjoyed shooting down enemy aircraft, but did not enjoy getting my azz whooped on most flights.

I haven't figured out how to just fly around without opposition kicking my butt as soon as I spawn! Any assistance appreciated.
    I'm using the newest beta, and when I click on the F86, I can choose what kind of flight I want to do now. Free flight is one of the choices, so you spawn over whatever map you want to use, and no combat is taking place, can fly around and check out the scenery!

Here you go....first one out of the block....

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Here you go....first one out of the block....
    I guess this is still WIP but why do the yellow painted stripes look very metallic, not like normal paint? This looks like the old pre-PBR FSX/P3D issue with painted areas on bare metal skin, I was hoping PBR would offer a simple/better way to make the painted areas look more opaque / less metallic...

Henk.

Not sure. It literally can't be that way because the metalness/dielectric channel and reflectivity are are set much lower than metal for those areas. Here's the 99% finished Sweet Rose conversion. To me the paint looks much more like paint than in P3D. FSX doesn't hold a candle. IMO.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Here's some gloss paint. Different animal than what was used on the Sabres...

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Rick, thanks for the explanation, I agree it is a bit better than FSX/P3D. The gloss paint on the F-14 looks splendid, very realistic - if it is possible to apply that look on the Sabre yellow stripes and other painted parts that would be awesome.

Henk.

Quote Originally Posted by hschuit View Post
    Rick, thanks for the explanation. The gloss paint on the F-14 looks splendid, very realistic - if it is possible to apply that look on the Sabre yellow stripes and other painted parts that would be awesome.

Henk.
    I mean, it's 100% possible to apply that look to.the painted Sabre parts, but I'm not sure that the paint was glossy? Was it? I mean, I know all paint other than matted, had some reflection.... But Glossy?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I mean, it's 100% possible to apply that look to.the painted Sabre parts, but I'm not sure that the paint was glossy? Was it? I mean, I know all paint other than matted, had some reflection.... But Glossy?
    You are right, from photos it appears more like semi-gloss /satin.

I'll see what I can do....
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Ok, the paint has even less less reflection property than it did. About half as much less. To me, this is a better rendition of how paint looks on this aircraft. I've been comparing to many color photos. Henk, do you approve!? LOL.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Ok, the paint has even less less reflection property than it did. About half as much less. To me, this is a better rendition of how paint looks on this aircraft. I've been comparing to many color photos. Henk, do you approve!? LOL.
    Better indeed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IApprove.jpeg  

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Steve Hinton's Jet. FU-236. #49-1236.

MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Rick...With your inspiring skins and the DCS "Sale", I'm now the owner of a shiny, new F-86 (along with a couple of others like an AV-8B). Are your skins available for use and, if so, can you give a tutorial on how to install them in DCS? Thanks.
    Jay

Not yet Jay. I had to remove all of my skins from the user files area because they no longer work with the new v2.5.5 update to DCS. So only these you see here are updated. I will upload them soon though. I'd like to.have 5 skins complete and released. I'm at 4 now.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

So installing new paints into DCS is very easy but it's not anything like doing it with FSX/P3D.

You actually have a variety of places you can put them with different effects. I'll pay a step by step on how I do it. But I'm not at my PC today.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Members who have read this thread: 0