Microsoft Flight Simulator Announced 2019 - Page 4
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator Announced 2019

I guarantee it will not work on XP

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Going off-topic for a short rant! Did you actually try FSW? I did and it was surprisingly good for the early stage of development it had reached. However, it was doomed even before it was released by well-known YouTubers and posts in forums saying how it was bound to be rubbish and then much later grudgingly admitting that it was actually quite good (by those who actually bothered to try it). By then the damage was done. Every good sim is fundamentally just a base to add content to and FSW was no different in that respect. No one will ever know if the promised public release of the SDK would have generated freeware because it wasn't allowed to get that far. None of the add-on aircraft that were available for it were produced by DTG, they were from other developers who saw potential in the sim, so people were hardly being held to ransom by the developers. DTG interacted much more with their customer base than any of the other sim manufacturers and they were starting to introduce some real innovations before it was cancelled (trueSKY, for example).

Unlike DTG, Microsoft are big enough to ride out any speculative bad press but it's already interesting to see how many rumours (based on zero facts) are already flying around the forums: it will be cloud-based, just eye candy with no study sim aircraft, a subscription-only service, good scenery only in very small areas, no 3rd party add-ons, it's going to eventually be for XBox as well so can't possibly be a "real" sim... I could go on but I won't. Some of them may actually prove to be true but nobody outside of Microsoft actually knows for sure. I just don't understand why people can't see it as potentially what we've all been waiting for since FSX was released. Are we really all that jaded?
    Nope I never did do the FSW thing. Fully invested in P3D. I had no desire to support DTG which was IMO a leech on the community brain trust.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Do we really know what killed DTG FSW? People keep talking about their "mistakes" in how they were going to charge for it and getting vilified in the community.... Despite what many people think, if they were going to make money, their market better have been much larger than the forum based flightsim community. Perhaps they got word that MS was developing this new version and decided their piece of the pie would end up too small with the release of the new version, not to mention their likely underestimating how much it would cost to develop the product. Also, I do believe that the P3D EULA is structured so it wouldn't compete with any future offerings from MS. My bet is that flight simmers are just a small bit of P3D's market. Of course, I could be wrong on all points.

VR Support Hopefully?

Well, I am thrilled by the video!

While I agree with much of what is being expressed here, I am also seriously hoping that this platform will fully support Oculus/VIVE technology.

I for one am an avid VR enthusiast who has been waiting for a dedicated VR-supported sim -- supported from the ground up.

So, here's hoping..

KB

Little more info...

The result is something that, judging by the trailer, looks impossibly vast and real. Spencer says that 2 petabytes of geographical data is used to seamlessly stitch together Earth.
    The trailer rushes past cities, swoops down so we can see elephants and giraffes hanging around and then soars the mountains for some truly incredible views.

Spencer warned the team: "You're going to have to put at the bottom that it's in-game, because nobody is going to believe that's in the game."

Microsoft apparently has some pilots on its teams—big surprise—who are fans of the series, and they've been passionate about bringing it back.

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-wa...t-supports-pc/

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Phil.spencer head of MS gaming.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman1960 View Post
    Well, I am thrilled by the video!

While I agree with much of what is being expressed here, I am also seriously hoping that this platform will fully support Oculus/VIVE technology.

I for one am an avid VR enthusiast who has been waiting for a dedicated VR-supported sim -- supported from the ground up.

So, here's hoping..

KB
    Three years ago X-Plane was talking about full support of VR and showed some pretty neat stuff at the flight sim expo in Worcester, MA I think it was(?). Are they not there yet? I only just purchased X-Plane myself a few weeks ago, but haven't looked into its VR support (then A2A had its sale and I've been concentrating on those planes I purchased in FSX since then).

I'm very much interested and excited about this, based on what has been shown and backed up by the comments by Phil Spencer. As has been mentioned, at least visually (all we know at this point) it blows the socks off every other flight sim to come before, and I'd say likely visually sets itself above anything else currently in development, flight sim wise. With the fidelity and accuracy of the world depicted, I can see this appealing to a far wider audience than those who just have an interest in aviation. Having spoken to various friends and family members over the years about flight simming, who have no real interest in aviation, they have however often expressed an interest in just knowing enough to be able to use the game to explore geography, cities, historic sites, etc. Up until now, games such as FSX, P3D and X-Plane wouldn't hold the interest of individuals like those, since, at least out of the box, those sims don't have the visual accuracy, fidelity, etc. to truly convey flying over the real world and have the experience of looking down and believing what they're seeing is real (except for certain addons, and for which typically only the highest fidelity is in quite small regions, centered around airports, etc.). Based on these previews, it looks like that will be changing. If we can expect at least large regions of the world to have the same visual experience, accuracy and detail as shown in the previews, it's going to be a game changer for sure. Rather than simply using scenery as a background, or tool, as is almost solely the way that scenery has been in flight sims to-date (again, at least out of the box), if we can expect the scenery in this new sim to be what is shown in the previews, the scenery itself will be a reason to go flying, more than just the act of operating an airplane alone.

With a 5-year old system, and still running Windows 7, I supposed I shall start saving my pennies now (good to know we have a year till its release)...
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; June 11th, 2019 at 15:36.

Saving your pennies (or rather a couple of grand) is indeed the way forward.

I still remember the minimum specs for FSX. Now that was a sick joke!

But I must say that the screenshots and movies out of the new sim look great. I'm just wondering about the kind of rigs they're running it on...

Time to start saving for an extra 16 GB's of RAM and that RTX2080TI!!

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    I had no desire to support DTG which was IMO a leech on the community brain trust.
    Sadly, that was the sort of comment that helped kill them off before they even got started.

All I can say is..... oh boy! oh boy! oh boy!
    "Somewhere out there is Page 6!"
    "But Emilo you promised! It's postpone"

ASWWIAH Member

Blog Entries
    Hey ya just can't have enough flight simulators...good news! I love my XP10, FSX, P3d, and FS9 and now I will have to save my nickels and dimes to build a better unit! I guess this will be the last sim I buy...getting up there in years.
    Ted
    Vivat Christus Rex! Ad maiorem Dei gloriam

I'd like to think my existing rig would handle it reasonably. When I built it 3 years ago it was the fastest/best money could buy.....pushing 10 grand AUD. Poor old Win 7 still has issues working out how to boot it.....the hardware was unknown to 7 at the time...

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingsCool View Post
    I guarantee it will not work on XP
    It's for Windows 10 (DX12 required) only.

You cannot expect a brand new sim to be optimised to work on an obsolete, unsupported operating system.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    Sadly, that was the sort of comment that helped kill them off before they even got started.
    My opiinion is that FSW is gone because they chose to divide the community from developers. Game over. Their practices got them to where they are today. Gone. If they were so fragile that my little no one community member opinion could bring them down, then the product shouldn't have succeeded anyway. If it had been truly great. It would still be here because it would have intrinsic qualities that surpass negative criticisms. DTG should have not alienated the 3rd party devs that made the community what it is.

Anyway, MS flight looks so good that regardless of 3rd party dev SDK, I'm willing to have a go at it as a simple stand alone enjoyment, for the reasons Stated by John Terrell above. The scenery alone is breathtaking. Worth a look. Again my opinion.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

OK ladies.
    Keep it on subject which is at least 12 months from release and has only been previewed via a video clip.
    At least wait for the release before declaring a handbags at 20 paces duel.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Yes.

...more later (too busy jumping around and whooping)
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    OK ladies.
    Keep it on subject which is at least 12 months from release and has only been previewed via a video clip.
    Copy all. Wilco.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    OK ladies.
    Thanks wombat, as we know Microsoft is a master at previews. The real substance of discussion will come once some of us have the program on our computers and XBox. I remember when FS2004 got the upgrade to FSX I was looking for a new CPU, video card etc. When I finally got a rig that would give great FPS for FSX, Prepar3D came out. Well the search for more computer power started again. Best we enjoy what we have and remember Microsoft is in business to make money.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

So what will happen if this is going to be subscription based, non-local and permanently online (streaming), restrictive (requiring to be logged into a Microsoft account for usage) and very restrictive in terms of add-ons (payware from an official store only)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    So what will happen if this is going to be subscription based, non-local and permanently online (streaming), restrictive (requiring to be logged into a Microsoft account for usage) and very restrictive in terms of add-ons (payware from an official store only)?
    There will be many tears at bedtime.That's a worse-case scenario, and I do hope that Mummy Microsoft know better than to be so restrictive, but we'll just have to wait and see when more information comes along...
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

What do you mean if? My guess is.that is going to.be the way it goes. Played any XBOX games lately? |o|
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    What do you mean if? My guess is.that is going to.be the way it goes. Played any XBOX games lately? |o|
    Microsoft has said that they are planning to distribute more of their games on Steam in the future so MSFS may not necessarily be a subscription title. https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/30/1...32-bit-windows

The new flight simulator is going to be powered by Microsoft's Azure cloud artificial intelligence. Think "Halo" or "Forza".

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Or, Microsoft decides to start holding Lockheed's feet to the fire about the P3D EULA?

Members who have read this thread: 0