Microsoft Flight Simulator Announced 2019 - Page 5
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft Flight Simulator Announced 2019

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    Or, Microsoft decides to start holding Lockheed's feet to the fire about the P3D EULA?
    The P3D graphics engine was sold to Lockheed Martin. M$ has no say whatsoever in the matter.

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by 000rick000 View Post
    My opiinion is that FSW is gone because they chose to divide the community from developers. Game over. Their practices got them to where they are today. Gone. If they were so fragile that my little no one community member opinion could bring them down, then the product shouldn't have succeeded anyway. If it had been truly great. It would still be here because it would have intrinsic qualities that surpass negative criticisms. DTG should have not alienated the 3rd party devs that made the community what it is.

Anyway, MS flight looks so good that regardless of 3rd party dev SDK, I'm willing to have a go at it as a simple stand alone enjoyment, for the reasons Stated by John Terrell above. The scenery alone is breathtaking. Worth a look. Again my opinion.
    Hoo, boy.... Don't think you want to go there

I'm getting a similar response on another forum after making a similar comment. I'm leaving mine stand to be tested by the review of future historians.

I already went there. Nothing to see.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by Bomber_12th View Post
    I'm very much interested and excited about this, based on what has been shown and backed up by the comments by Phil Spencer. As has been mentioned, at least visually (all we know at this point) it blows the socks off every other flight sim to come before, and I'd say likely visually sets itself above anything else currently in development, flight sim wise. With the fidelity and accuracy of the world depicted, I can see this appealing to a far wider audience than those who just have an interest in aviation. Having spoken to various friends and family members over the years about flight simming, who have no real interest in aviation, they have however often expressed an interest in just knowing enough to be able to use the game to explore geography, cities, historic sites, etc. Up until now, games such as FSX, P3D and X-Plane wouldn't hold the interest of individuals like those, since, at least out of the box, those sims don't have the visual accuracy, fidelity, etc. to truly convey flying over the real world and have the experience of looking down and believing what they're seeing is real (except for certain addons, and for which typically only the highest fidelity is in quite small regions, centered around airports, etc.). Based on these previews, it looks like that will be changing. If we can expect at least large regions of the world to have the same visual experience, accuracy and detail as shown in the previews, it's going to be a game changer for sure. Rather than simply using scenery as a background, or tool, as is almost solely the way that scenery has been in flight sims to-date (again, at least out of the box), if we can expect the scenery in this new sim to be what is shown in the previews, the scenery itself will be a reason to go flying, more than just the act of operating an airplane alone.
    With a 5-year old system, and still running Windows 7, I supposed I shall start saving my pennies now (good to know we have a year till its release)...
    I really prefer real life to CGI John.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Real as it gets, nice photos Wombat.

Seriously folks - I know everyone is excited but it is going to have to be a license and on line run for this one, maybe just maybe some flight sim aircraft can be added but then again, who knows. The key issue is that is being excitedly overlooked is if they are going to give it as real as it looks then your going to need the server and memory capacity of Google to do it, to do the whole world even using Google tile processes would swamp every PC in the sim world end of story you need banks and banks of servers to do this stuff, cannot happen, nobody has that sort of stored memory capacity except MS and Google and that means a log in and play license. Otherwise you will have nothing worthwhile but again mesh, textures and object files populating it, not to mention shader capacity, focus etc etc and that I do not think is their intention. Sure it will be a reasonable sim but it will be on line by license end of story.

Still exciting though. But then again so was Google's intro but nothing much has happened there either for over two years.

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    I know everyone is excited but it is going to have to be a license and on line run for this one
    Maybe. However, the new sim is only likely to appeal to a relatively small audience compared to Microsoft's other games and making it fully cloud-based will make that small audience even smaller. Google's upcoming Stadia cloud gaming service is only being rolled out in limited areas because, according to Google, it needs at least a 35Mbps broadband connection to be able to play at 4k, 60FPS (it needs at least 20 Mbps just to play at 1080p). There probably aren't that many flight sim enthusiasts who can sustain that sort of speed and that's assuming that no one else in your home is doing anything else online to use up bandwidth. Then you come up against problems with latency which, whilst not as bad for us as it would be for first-person-shooters, could still be important for approaches and landings. Whilst cloud gaming is probably the future, it's likely to be quite some time (years?) before broadband speeds become good enough globally for it to become the norm.

One possibility is that you'd run the sim from your desktop but download scenery tiles on the fly as required. We're all just shooting in the dark at the moment!

Hi,
    If I believe what is saying here, they may be trying to figure out what they should not do from a business point of view (lol).
    JMC

Matt Booty, Head of Xbox Game Studios

We put up that little tag at the beginning about satellite data and Azure AI. I don’t know if you know how that works, but we’re taking satellite map data, which is amazing, because it covers the whole planet, but it has big limitations. Parts of the planet are covered at different levels of detail. In order to make a modern flight simulator at the fidelity you need, you need accurate data. We’re using machine learning to fill in the places where we don’t know more than what the satellite data tells us. We know this is a blank spot in the middle of Nevada. Here’s what the stuff around it looks like. We know what Nevada generally looks like. Now we’ll generate that procedurally. There’s a ton of cool stuff in Flight Simulator.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/06/12/h...and-the-cloud/

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Actually there's quite a Vast flight simming community outside of FSX/P3D/XP. Those people are playing Il2, DCS, BMS, war Thunder to name a few. So my guess is that when playing on XBOX you'll pull in more people. My neighbor who says Xbox religiously, not an FS fan at all saw the video at E3 and said he's interested based on how good it.looks. so, the market is there...The status quo will likely be challenged.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

While I am skeptical about what M$ is going to do with there new sim I am also willing to wait and see and will certainly give it a try when it comes out.

As far as the failure of FSW I don't think it was because of our skeptical comments or dividing developers from community, I think it was because they knew they had to leapfrog over P3D and XP and did not have the resources to do it. I tried FSW, it had some nice features, I liked the improved ATC and updated airport database. I expect that they planned on revenue from DLC in there early access period to pay for the development and it did not work out. In developing P3D, LM has taken a conservative approach, adding solid improvements to the platform without shaking things up too much, to succeed DoveTail had to shake things up and be better than the P3D team, which was well funded and experienced with members of the original Microsoft studios team and backed by a corporation that knows a little bit about aviation. If they had created a winning sim they would have won us over, but Dovetail was just not up to the task.

Now Microsoft is another animal, they have the resources and the experience to build a solid platform and make it a radical step up. While they sold LM and DT the rights to use the program, I am sure they left themselves enough rights to the code they could still produce a sim, in fact they did with MS flight, which failed because I think because it was too much a game and not enough sim. Now with there new sim I am sure they are thinking they have to not just satisfy us old timers who in all honesty are a declining market, they have to reach out to a new generation of virtual pilots. I do hope they have learned there lesson with flight and keep the platform open enough that the amateurs will be able to get in and build things, for they will be the payware developers that take the platform forward.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

There's no reason that we still couldn't have 3rd party addons injected into the sim, but the question will be will there be a 3rd party pipeline...outside of DLC? Too early to speculate. Hopefully. But that would likely be for PC only. XBOX users would have no other choice....if XBOX stays with current model for gaming. If the new system offers a PC like experience....who knows! Maybe....
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    There will be many tears at bedtime.That's a worse-case scenario, and I do hope that Mummy Microsoft know better than to be so restrictive, but we'll just have to wait and see when more information comes along...
    Remember that MS pulled the plug on the Flight Simulator series for (perceived?) lack of revenue, so I'm fairly certain that they're going to milk the cow as good as it gets.
    Not sure if things have changed, but console games never really struck me as moddable, so why should MS bother to focus on that? Maybe a SDK and a bit of moddability will be provided for PC users, but if they're also providing a cross-platform multiplayer environment

What do you mean if? My guess is.that is going to.be the way it goes. Played any XBOX games lately? |o|
    No, and I intend to keep it that way least I fall off the walls of my glorious PC gaming castle down into the middle of the dirty console peasantry.

(Reference: https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/the-g...ng-master-race )

Quote Originally Posted by henrystreet View Post
    Or, Microsoft decides to start holding Lockheed's feet to the fire about the P3D EULA?
    The ESP intellectual property was sold fair and square and belongs to LM now. No way to roll that back.

so few facts - so much conjecture
    enter..the Sandman

visit Heywood Planes - YouTube

Members +
    What we know, so far:

The new sim will be for PC's & the forthcoming new Xbox.

At this stage, there is much speculation, 59 pages on another forum, but, apart from a teaser video clip, nothing else has been released.

There is speculation that it will be released on Xbox Game Pass, which could mean that it may be subscription based, with scenery being streamed into the sim, as you fly.

Nothing about 3rd party add-ons being available, nor min PC specs as yet. It could very well be a 'closed' sim, with add-ons being available in-game (similar to the way FlightGear works)

So, speculation is rife & apart from that 2 minute or so video, nothing else available.

Get your popcorn here, folks! Mega buckets!!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    Get your popcorn here, folks! Mega buckets!!
    I'll take mine with butter, thank you!
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    The ESP intellectual property was sold fair and square and belongs to LM now. No way to roll that back.
    Although that's true, I think the point being made is that MS could be much stricter about the 'not for entertainment' clause that is currently generously interpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by SkippyBing View Post
    Although that's true, I think the point being made is that MS could be much stricter about the 'not for entertainment' clause that is currently generously interpreted.
    I think it's a moot point. ESP won't be involved with any luck. Brand new coding, etc.
    Jim
    NAVIGATION; The art of knowing where you are without having to crash into it first.

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    What we know, so far:

The new sim will be for PC's & the forthcoming new Xbox.

At this stage, there is much speculation, 59 pages on another forum, but, apart from a teaser video clip, nothing else has been released. -- Interviews with the Game Leads have been released.

There is speculation that it will be released on Xbox Game Pass, which could mean that it may be subscription based, with scenery being streamed into the sim, as you fly. -- IT WILL BE STREAMED. CONFIRMED by head of development - Tufun posted a link to the interview.

See RED text above.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Launching a game on xbox has nothing to do with how much you can mod the PC version of said game. Skyrim is on both and there's a literal mountain of mods on PC. The model by which windows store apps operate do, however. That`s why I hope for a steam release.

Being part of game pass does not mean you will HAVE to subscribe. You can very well just buy the game and never ever bother with game pass. Whether it streams content or not should be irrelevant. Online services for games bought (and not subscribed) work just as well.

See RED text above.
    zswobbie1 seems to have edited the post you quoted. Unless I've missed something in the interview that Tufun linked, there's no specific mention of streaming - he just says that they've used AI to fill in the gaps in coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by vortex View Post
    zswobbie1 seems to have edited the post you quoted. Unless I've missed something in the interview that Tufun linked, there's no specific mention of streaming - he just says that they've used AI to fill in the gaps in coverage.
    It's based on this article

https://www.pcgamer.com/microsoft-wa...t-supports-pc/

Which says:
    --------------
    "Flight Sim was a game in our past that sold millions and millions of units and had a very, very passionate community—in fact, they're still out there," says Spencer. There had to be a reason to resurrect the series, though. "Can we do something new with Flight Sim? Can we actually move it forward in an interesting way?"

The result is something that, judging by the trailer, looks impossibly vast and real. Spencer says that 2 petabytes of geographical data is used to seamlessly stitch together Earth. The trailer rushes past cities, swoops down so we can see elephants and giraffes hanging around and then soars the mountains for some truly incredible views.

Spencer warned the team: "You're going to have to put at the bottom that it's in-game, because nobody is going to believe that's in the game."
    ------------------

I figured if it's stitching together that data, it must constitute streaming...especially since MS is moving toward the cloud based games? Anyway, it doesn't mean subscription, but highly likely streamed content even if you "own" the license.

maybe "Confirmed" was too hasty....how about streaming seems highly likely?
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

I am sure you will be able to chose between a local install and Xcloud when that thing launches (late 2019), its an option, if you do not want install locally or want to stream to a low-end device/system.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Cloud gaming is a gimmick anyway, I doubt it will ever catch on. Gamers will prefer having it running of their own system due to input lag. Google Stadia currently has an input lag measured to approximately 166 ms and XCloud at approximately 67 ms. One frame equals approximately 16 ms, so XCloud is currently above four frames in input lag. Good luck landing an aircraft, racing a car or play competitively with that kind off input lag.

i7-4770K 4.4 Ghz - ASUS z87 PRO - Corsair H100i - 16 gig Kingston Beast DDR3 2166 Mhz - Gainward GTX 1070 GS GLH - CX 750M PSU - CoolerMaster HAF X case

Members who have read this thread: 0