New microsoft flight simulator announced at e3!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New microsoft flight simulator announced at e3!!!

New microsoft flight simulator announced at e3!!!

A new Microsoft Flight Simulator was announced at E3.
    Finally a proper replacement for the aging, ill-performing program that is Flight Simulator X.

Here is the trailer. Looks like it has great graphics, which is one of FSX's major failing points these days IMO.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1137...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

IF it ever gets to retail and IF it looks like that out of the box then I think I'll have to wait for someone else to try it first to make sure it isn't all smoke and mirrors (remember FSX when it was first released?). Then I'll probably get it. The Xbox users making all of the comments aren't going to be happy since the announcement clearly states that this is for PC, not for Xbox.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Hope they don't make a hash of it this time if it is to be for Xbox as well as the one true faith.
    Great graphics will be welcome provided they run on a reasonable spec PC and not just on a Cray.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members +
    You never know, it could be cloud based & subscription, seeing it will be released on XBox as well.

Saw on flightsim forum discussion about new flt sim and an interesting comment about it:

"It is for XBox AND Windows 10, not any other PC. Bye bye to previous Windows OS...

It will use Microsoft Azure Cloud, suggesting that `paying` starts at every log-in and it will be a closed system, NOT open source.
    We will not be installing this on our hard drives, I suspect...

At this point more questions than answers."

If that be the case then I'm not interested.......

I will bet a dollar it will include some method of continuous income to MS and I can support that idea in theory but maybe not finances.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Definitely has my attention and announced early enough to start saving for the $5000 PC....
    In all seriousness though, definitely looks like it was worth the long wait from FSX....

Retired SOH Administrator Ferry_vO's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    I will bet a dollar it will include some method of continuous income to MS and I can support that idea in theory but maybe not finances.
    You will need an Xbox game pass for PC, which currently sells at $4.99 a month.
    Intel i9-13900 Raptor Lake , Be Quiet! Dark rock slim cooler, 32 Gb Corsair DDR5 RAM, MSI Z790 Tomahawk motherboard, Asus RTX 4060Ti 16Gb, Thermaltake 1050 Watt PSU, Windows 11 64-bit 1 m2, 4 SSD, 2 HDD.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Saw on flightsim forum discussion about new flt sim and an interesting comment about it:

"It is for XBox AND Windows 10, not any other PC. Bye bye to previous Windows OS...

It will use Microsoft Azure Cloud, suggesting that `paying` starts at every log-in and it will be a closed system, NOT open source.
    We will not be installing this on our hard drives, I suspect...

At this point more questions than answers."

If that be the case then I'm not interested.......
    I think you're understanding it. I think it will be a paid subscription with DLC in the form of missions, aircraft , landmarks, and detailed airports. I'm betting on $9.95 a month with occasional subscription deals, and access to other PC and XBox titles. They are actually selling the XBox/PC internet subscription. Think NetFlix for games. Flight Simulator is just the lure to get you to subscribe. On the upside, I'll bet it doesn't need a very strong PC to run as 1080p resolution, but it will need a strong internet connection. I don't think there will be a boxed version. They are talking more scenery data than can be delivered in a semi-truck load of DVDs.

The AI and multiplayer will be controlled by Microsoft, I think. Hope they get ATC right. I think it will be a very competent sim, not just a gaming platform. Shouldn't be any more stuttering, BSOD, etc, if the internet connection is strong enough. True cloud computing has Microsoft's CPU's and GPU's doing the heavy lifting. We'd just be streaming for the most part with a PC or XBox. I would guess a $500 PC would work for 1080p.

Quote Originally Posted by rhumbaflappy View Post
    I think you're understanding it. I think it will be a paid subscription with DLC in the form of missions, aircraft , landmarks, and detailed airports. I'm betting on $9.95 a month with occasional subscription deals, and access to other PC and XBox titles. They are actually selling the XBox/PC internet subscription. Think NetFlix for games. Flight Simulator is just the lure to get you to subscribe. On the upside, I'll bet it doesn't need a very strong PC to run as 1080p resolution, but it will need a strong internet connection. I don't think there will be a boxed version. They are talking more scenery data than can be delivered in a semi-truck load of DVDs.

The AI and multiplayer will be controlled by Microsoft, I think. Hope they get ATC right. I think it will be a very competent sim, not just a gaming platform. Shouldn't be any more stuttering, BSOD, etc, if the internet connection is strong enough. True cloud computing has Microsoft's CPU's and GPU's doing the heavy lifting. We'd just be streaming for the most part with a PC or XBox. I would guess a $500 PC would work for 1080p.
    If it ends up being a subscription-based simulation, I won't be getting it, no matter HOW realistic it is. I have spent way too much on FSX, P3D, DCS, etc..... I am at the point of enough is enough. Will hope it is not. NC

I'm afraid everything M$ is releasing nowadays is subscription based. Windows, Office365, ... All of it.

Priller

And undoubtedly, NONE of the P3D addons will probably work with the new simulation. That alone means I won't be subscribing. Strictly a financial decision. There is a limit to spending cash on this hobby, and that would be it. NC

Don't jump to conclusions Chief. At the moment, we know nothing about this thing.

On the other hand, forgetting about backwards compatibility is the price we pay for progress.

Priller

I read today at FS Developer that there will be only one 'version' that being Xbox. PC users will have to download and install a shell program that will allow the Xbox program to run on your PC.

The 'streaming' data from the cloud is around 2 petabytes!

Now the question is will external hardware such as yokes, pedals, throttle quad and so forth be supported?
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Don't jump to conclusions
    On the other hand, forgetting about backwards compatibility is the price we pay for progress.
    Priller
    Exactly!!!
    P3D is based on a 10+ year old baseline software engine - not realistic at all to ask for compatibility with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Don't jump to conclusions Chief. At the moment, we know nothing about this thing.

Priller
    I do understand that, but I would just be satisfied with what I have currently. And there's always DCS, which I still have not learned how to set up properly. I bought the Tomcat, and still haven't successfully flown it. NC

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerousdave26 View Post
    I've been doing some reading on an interview PC Gamer had with Xbox's Phil Spencer and I'm not completely worried that it'll be subscription only at this point.

https://www.pcgamer.com/xboxs-phil-s...c-games-store/

So what does Game Pass represent in the Xbox journey on PC?A couple of years ago, more than a couple now, Microsoft Store and Windows launched, we had [UWP] games in there. One of the challenges I had in that time [was], what value were we uniquely bringing to the PC gamer? Between GOG and Steam and stuff there were solutions. If you wanted to go buy PC games, there were solutions for you to go buy PC games. If you were a developer who wanted to reach millions of PC gamers, there were stores that allowed you to reach millions of PC gamers, so it was a little bit unclear what value-add we were bringing other than another storefront.
    After I gained a little more control, I guess, in what we were going to do in that space, sitting back in the team and saying 'okay, what unique value can we add in PC?', one was to continue to ship our first-party games on PC and on Xbox at the same time. Obviously we build those games, that's unique to us. And then Game Pass, as we watched over the last two years there's tremendous success we've had on console, and it's actually been healthy not only for the player but also the creator community in helping them reach new customers. We said 'okay, maybe Game Pass is something we could bring to PC'. We went out and talked and did some focus testing, and went over to my friends at Valve, talked to them about it, and say 'hey, how do people think, is this something we think would be additive to what is already there?'. We got a lot of 'yeah this is something you guys should go try', to build a gaming subscription that's working for you on Xbox to PC.
    What that meant was we were going to have to have a way of downloading and entitling games on PC, so we effectively were going to have to rework our store, which you can see from the Xbox app now.
    But then I didn't want people to think this was our attempt to go and push all the other stores out of the way. In fact, if you want to buy games from us, we want to give you a choice where you buy those games. So the announcement of Halo MCC coming to both Steam and our store was us saying you should be able to buy the games where you want to buy them. We want to make sure the communities are all connected, so we obviously had to work with Valve ensuring that regardless of where you bought the game you'd be one community of PC players together. But Xbox Game Pass for PC was really something that we thought that we could bring that was unique to that ecosystem.

With Steam specifically, what's your philosophy around releases now? You've named some of the games that you're going to bring to Steam—is your long term plan to bring your back catalogue to Steam and every new game, or is it more selective than that?
    I wouldn't say it's more selective. My expectation is that our games will be available on Steam. You can never say 'always ever', because then something will happen with rights in certain situations where something might not happen, but we have a really good relationship with the team over there. We go over and talk with Scott Lynch, Erik Johnson and Gabe a lot about the plans we have—it's a good, healthy conversation. So there's nothing in our plans that would say there's a reason we wouldn't continue to ship our games on Steam, and they've been incredibly supportive with us which I appreciate.

You say the day of your E3 briefing was a record day for Game Pass. On PC were you happy with the results?
    It was incredible, seriously, it was—in fact I might even have said that our team sandbagged our internal forecasts a bit—but no, it was great, which means something. I'll say our relationship with the PC community has been one of rebuilding trust, and yes people are just signing up, people are just trying now, we can still mess it up, but from the announcement of Master Chief coming to PC, to the Xbox game bar and us trying to create real functionality. Not all PC gamers are going to use it, but we're trying to be very explicit that we want to bring value there to the redesign of the Xbox app. I really do appreciate the PC gaming community's early vote of confidence—I guess it only cost a buck to try [laughs], but seriously, we fundamentally believe we need to and have to be, and should be a constructive part of the PC gamer's lifestyle. Not the only part, but a constructive part of that. The early results even in 24 hours on PC Game Pass have been really great.

It's not going to be xbox only. It is definitely for Windows 10 PC and possibly for xbox. It will be streaming data so high-speed internet will probably be needed. It will probably require a subscription of some sort. The consensus is $9.95 / month. Not sure of the quality of scenery, aircraft, or immersion level of the base subscription, but I would suspect it to be pretty good. I can't imagine a boxed version, but you never know. Maybe a big USB memory stick with limited photoreal?

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    I do understand that, but I would just be satisfied with what I have currently. And there's always DCS, which I still have not learned how to set up properly. I bought the Tomcat, and still haven't successfully flown it. NC
    Ya know chief: there are people on this very site that are still very much active and enthusiastic about sims like CFS1, CFS2, CFS3 and FS9. I've played and enjoyed all of them. Hell, I think I was one of the last jumping over from FS9 to FSX. let's face it: in the beginning FSX looked like ****. And the minimum system requirements were an effing joke. It took the hardware manufacturers at least 5 years to come up with reasonably affordable stuff to run the damn thing. And still you had blurries and bad frames. All because the thing was 32 bit.

We cannot expect M$ to develop something that will cater for an increasingly elderly user base. They have to look to the future. I guess you can say that people like us who gather here are a dying breed. I'm almost 53 and I'm one of the younger people here. M$ needs to look to the future and start attracting younger people.

For us older coots, there still is P3D.

Me personally, I'm eagerly awaiting P3D v5 and am looking forward to what M$ will come up with.

Cheers,

Priller

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Agree 100%. If this brings more younger people into the flight sim world, it can only help grow the industry. Too many old codgers now, including me.

Right now, much ado about nothing as there is little facts and much speculation. I anxiously await more data.

Bob

The streaming part also has me out. I have a really fast speed as long as I don't break my 15GB monthly limit. Once I pop that limit I get throttled to 600K or less.

Still I am all for the new version of Flight Simulator. I am also for someone building wired high speed internet in our back yard. LOL. I bet we see the new simulator before I can get real internet again.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    What we need is a new combat flight sim from MS. Been a long time. Maybe if this venture is successful they will expand. I just hope they take their time and develop their sim fully before releasing it. I hope they don't make the same mistakes as they have done in the past. That is what ruined it for their combat flight sim series. Regards,Scott

Cool Flight Sim

https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/?fb...OJn_eYDjAfEb2I

" We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development " sounds nice :

HB

Last edited by Brytskiva; June 20th, 2019 at 15:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Brytskiva View Post
    https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/?fb...OJn_eYDjAfEb2I

" We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development " sounds nice :

HB

Hmmmm.... you may now color me "interested".
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members who have read this thread: 0